Champions League | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Champions League

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
What a load of bull. Why should the Leagues be run for the benefit of Gareth Southgate? If they were then they would already have gone down the road of academy teams playing in the EFL which is something that nobody wants to see and rightly so.

I think you'll find that the Premier League DOES support more than enough grass roots projects. You seem to want them to support the EFL as well though. The EFL isn't grass roots.

As for your idea on team selection, why would anyone not want their club to field the best team possible?

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":ah72cgae said:
What a load of bull. Why should the Leagues be run for the benefit of Gareth Southgate? If they were then they would already have gone down the road of academy teams playing in the EFL which is something that nobody wants to see and rightly so.

I think you'll find that the Premier League DOES support more than enough grass roots projects. You seem to want them to support the EFL as well though. The EFL isn't grass roots.

As for your idea on team selection, why would anyone not want their club to field the best team possible?

I think you'll find the Prem does NOT support more than enough grass roots projects. Just a tiny fraction of its income.' Not seem to want to support the EFL!' Absolutely they should to make the leagues stronger all around and so that the likes of Bury don't go out of business for the want of one week's superstars salary. So that the rich dont get richer and everybody else like Argyle gets left behind or almost goes bust trying to compete. We all know the idea of the Prem was to ring fence the money.
What is more important - a foreign owned superclub (realistically only about 3 or 4) getting to the latter rounds of Europe or England doing well. I know which I prefer.

Aug 5, 2016
Lundan Cabbie":3i2ip5iy said:

Let's see how many lower league clubs go under and how much the Premier League does to stop it happening. The square root of nothing at all I imagine.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":2tz20dkx said:
Lundan Cabbie":2tz20dkx said:

I think you'll find the Prem does NOT support more than enough grass roots projects. Just a tiny fraction of its income.' Not seem to want to support the EFL!' Absolutely they should to make the leagues stronger all around and so that the likes of Bury don't go out of business for the want of one week's superstars salary. So that the rich dont get richer and everybody else like Argyle gets left behind or almost goes bust trying to compete. We all know the idea of the Prem was to ring fence the money.
What is more important - a foreign owned superclub (realistically only about 3 or 4) getting to the latter rounds of Europe or England doing well. I know which I prefer.

Around £1 million per club per year goes to community projects at grass roots level which is not an insignificant amount of money but of course more would not go amiss.

The only money that is ringfenced from the Premier League is that which goes to EFL clubs in solidarity payments (around £5 million per club). Clubs are then free to spend their income how they please.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":1vx89wuk said:
Lundan Cabbie":1vx89wuk said:

Let's see how many lower league clubs go under and how much the Premier League does to stop it happening. The square root of nothing at all I imagine.

You're probably right. Premier League clubs will claim their turnovers are down as well, which obviously they are. Lets not pretend that the Premier League as a body are awash with money. Their existence is to distribute the income to the member clubs rather than keep a pot for the rainy day which is well and truly here. Such a pot doesn't exist.