Coops the best keeper in the Championship? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Coops the best keeper in the Championship?

Nov 18, 2011
I think whatever division we're in next season determines where Coops will be playing.

If we're still in the Championship I think he stays and we should try everything to get him to commit to a new deal, if only to maximise his value.

If we get relegated then I think he moves on, he needs Championship football at this stage of his career and the stats back up that he's at least Championship quality.

If we go down then Hazard would do as a keeper in League 1 and we should prioritise other areas to strengthen.

Reactions: saxman

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I have no idea but throwing around valuation of £20 million for an above average keeper is ridiculous, get real!!
Well that valuation is based upon reading PASOTI these last three years. I have hardly seen him myself but many on here have and have suggested that a decent fee would be in that region.

Feb 13, 2021
We're lucky to have Hazard as back up. I'm not sure where you think we're going to find the money to get a like for like replacement if Cooper goes.
Yes as backup but not as No1 and did i say we need to buy someone as good as Cooper? No i didn't. But we would be able to buy someone far better than Hazard with some of the money from Cooper. IF we sell him.

Jan 6, 2004
Yes as backup but not as No1 and did i say we need to buy someone as good as Cooper? No i didn't. But we would be able to buy someone far better than Hazard with some of the money from Cooper. IF we sell him.
I think if Cooper is sold we need all the money to strengthen outfield areas of the squad. Hazard has proven he is ok in the championship, even if he did not pull up trees. Lets not forget he played most of the games in schuey and early Foster period where the team is generally considered to have done ok. There are other areas of the squad where we either dont have sufficient manpower at all or those we do have are very clearly not championship standard which are far higher priority.

Jan 6, 2004
I think Cooper is close to being back to his best and his stats this season (which presumably include his slightly more shaky first spell back) should mean he will command a decent fee - £5m plus. It doesn't make sense to tie up this sort of money in our goalkeeper.

I would hate to see him go as he is a pleasure to watch (he is one of the few Argyle keepers I remember in respect of whom I am not nervous when a cross comes in and I actually feel excited when he has the ball because he can turn defence into attack in a flash with one killer throw out).

Rationally though, the only reasons for not selling him are if he does not want to go or if I am wildly wrong about the valuation and we dont get offers that would make a significant difference to our budget. He is Argyle through and through though so I hope he will sign an extended contract at the end of the season to boost his value to the club (although his agent may advise him against this if he plans to move on)

Last edited:
May 4, 2012
Sunderland
I think Cooper is close to being back to his best and his stats this season (which presumably include his slightly more shaky first spell back) should mean he will command a decent fee - £5m plus. It doesn't make sense to tie up this sort of money in our goalkeeper.

I would hate to see him go as he is a pleasure to watch (he is one of the few Argyle keepers I remember in respect of whom I am not nervous when a cross comes in and I actually feel excited when he has the ball because he can turn defence into attack in a flash with one killer throw out).

Rationally though, the only reasons for not selling him are if he does not want to go or if I am wildly wrong about the valuation and we dont get offers that would make a significant difference to our budget. He is Argyle through and through though so I hope he will sign an extended contract at the end of the season to boost his value to the club (although his agent may advise him against this if he plans to move on)
Cooper was at the top of this even after what people called his shaky spell.

Jan 6, 2004
Cooper was at the top of this even after what people called his shaky spell.
Shaky by his standards, he was good in his first spell but there were a couple of uncharacteristic errors, understandably after such a long time out, and I think everyone could see he was not quite at his best. He is now.

Feb 8, 2005
Cooper needs another half season to show he is back to his best, I wonder if the club has a 12 month extension clause, otherwise we will need to tie him down for a bit longer to ensure we get the right deal for him when he goes.

Jan 6, 2004
Cooper needs another half season to show he is back to his best, I wonder if the club has a 12 month extension clause, otherwise we will need to tie him down for a bit longer to ensure we get the right deal for him when he goes.
If I was a scout, I wouldn't think so, I would advise going for him now, he is already very consistent. He is certainly top level championship and possibly lower level PL (if they do not employ tactics that rely on the keeper long kicking) now.

Jun 27, 2019
Shaky by his standards, he was good in his first spell but there were a couple of uncharacteristic errors, understandably after such a long time out, and I think everyone could see he was not quite at his best. He is now.
Definitely. I can still see him kicking the ground in anger after shanking a pass in the Wednesday home game. Rustiness was to be expected but he clearly sets himself high standards and it's great to see that he's back to his best just when we need him most.

Feb 13, 2021
I think if Cooper is sold we need all the money to strengthen outfield areas of the squad. Hazard has proven he is ok in the championship, even if he did not pull up trees. Lets not forget he played most of the games in schuey and early Foster period where the team is generally considered to have done ok. There are other areas of the squad where we either dont have sufficient manpower at all or those we do have are very clearly not championship standard which are far higher priority.
Yes I agree reference outfield players but i just dont think Hazard is good enough and his distribution doesn’t help us. So we get decent outfield players but we are hampered by Hazards poor distribution, hesitancy and lack of command.