Darren McCauley from Coleraine? (signs for ICT) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Darren McCauley from Coleraine? (signs for ICT)

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I would have thought we have an excellent change of signing him. Surely L1 will be a far more attractive proposition than staying in the Irish League

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Coleraine is a semi-professional club so is McCauley a full time player? Does he have another job? It could be a big move for him if he signed for us.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Biggs":3tqp9qz7 said:
*cough*Rory Patterson*cough* :coat:

If ever there was proof that pure goalscoring ability doesn't translate to higher levels of football. See also Mr Rhys Griffiths.

Yeah I was just thinking that, he was terrible but who knows, this player could do better if we sign him?

I would be happy with this signing.

Aug 5, 2016
Biggs":fkxkuefv said:
*cough*Rory Patterson*cough* :coat:

If ever there was proof that pure goalscoring ability doesn't translate to higher levels of football. See also Mr Rhys Griffiths.

And Freddie Ladapo.

I'm not going to waste anyone's time listing the quality that has been discovered in the non leagues.

Roy Keane was overlooked by all the big teams in the Premier League because he was 'too small'. He couldn't even get trials. Nottingham Forest were the only top flight club in England who gave Keane a trial, and it took for Brian Clough to insist on having a look at him for the reserves that he ever got seen. The reserve team manager didn't think he was good enough to start and Clough jumped out of the stands to demand 'the Irishman' he had never seen was given a run out. Shortly after he was starting at the heart of Clough's first team and being seen across England.

Keane openly admits he was a fraction away from not making it as a professional footballer. It stands to reason there are a lot of players out there that have the talent but didn't have the luck or the contacts at vital stages of their career.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I didn’t mean it like that, just reminded me of Patterson and I got distracted :oops:

His age is the only thing that I would be pessimistic about, but could be worth a go :thumbup:

Aug 5, 2016
The positive is that he'll likely be cheap and he'll either sink or swim. That Pompey striker hasn't been too much of a turkey.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Biggs":3lg979at said:
I didn’t mean it like that, just reminded me of Patterson and I got distracted :oops:

His age is the only thing that I would be pessimistic about, but could be worth a go :thumbup:

Anyone remember the great Tony Book, who was nearly 30 I believe before we signed him from Bath City.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Biggs":4on10lqh said:

Oh come off it Biggsy, he’s 27 not 67. :D

Apr 1, 2009
This guy's presumably under contract with Coleraine, who would therefore (I imagine) fancy a bit of cash were we to take him now. Would we be willing / able to pay a small fee?

Aug 5, 2016
r4h4al":1o7050ec said:
The only problem is he seems too much like Carey so you would have to drop Carey to get him in the team.

Or employ him as backup for Carey, should he prove good enough for the job in training.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Knibbsworth":341mqgc8 said:
r4h4al":341mqgc8 said:
The only problem is he seems too much like Carey so you would have to drop Carey to get him in the team.

Or employ him as backup for Carey, should he prove good enough for the job in training.

Or replace Carey if he left. It’s only sensible to be thinking about replacements for Carey in a transfer window as there must always be a chance that he might be prised away from Home Park with minimal time for a replacement to be found.

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
kernow19":2m1v8937 said:
Biggs":2m1v8937 said:

Anyone remember the great Tony Book, who was nearly 30 I believe before we signed him from Bath City.

A great full back formally unknown to supporters. Went on to play for years at Man C, then to manage them.