Derek Adams new Morecambe manager | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Derek Adams new Morecambe manager

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
I take it Wurzel and HC Green are sitting in the away end on the 14th December?

It's a long way to Morecambe every Saturday though chaps. Have you registered for their forum yet? Because you can do us all a favour and bugger off and annoy them.

May 8, 2011
Stuart House":26qa9i0r said:

It's a long way to Morecambe every Saturday though chaps. Have you registered for their forum yet? Because you can do us all a favour and bugger off and annoy them.

No, no and no.

My only visit to Morecambe this season will be the 14th March.

Feb 24, 2008
I hope he gets a " Frosty " reception but knowing how Argyle Supporters are i guarantee certain sections will give him a Heroes Return !

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
I can't do links but someone just sent me Peter Hartleys twitter take on this.

If your twitter savvy and can find it is hilarious and very telling.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010

Although Hartley should remember he had some good times under Adams as manager.

Jan 27, 2012
If I was a Morecombe fan I'd be very pleased with this appointment. Adams has the ability to sign good players on a low budget and is very canny and streetwise. His time at Argyle was a success- it was really just the last few months of his tenure when things started going wrong.

Adams made mistakes in the summer of 2018 when he signed some dodgy defenders and paid the price for that. Even then, the team were unlucky to be relegated on goal difference. He probably feels aggrieved at being sacked, because all managers have blips in performance.

I didn't like Adams tendancy to push players too hard to return from injury- it seemed to make them worse. I also didn't like it when he refused to speak to the Herald- not a wise move considering it is one of the main sources of information for the fans. The tactics were ocassionally boring, but Argyle were certainly not a "long ball" team, they played good football when everything was working well.

Overall, Adams was a good manager for Argyle. I don't reckon he had a very large playing budget at his disposal either (I'd speculate less than Ryan Lowe has been given). I think he will learn from his mistakes and get better. I'd say he is one of the better managers Argyle have had in recent seasons and has a bright future in the game.

Aug 5, 2015
Looking back, many many people were very optimistic when players from Man City and Arsenal were signed. It’s just unfortunate that all those players turned out to be crap. No one could have foreseen that. In addition Eddy didn’t step up to the plate when Bradley left. No one could have fore seen that either. Only one of his summer signings really worked out and no one could have foreseen that either. Neither could anyone have foreseen the players would down tools and get hammered by Accrington, a result that sealed our fate more or less. Everyone’s keen to have a pop at the manager what about having a go at our ex-team of capitulators?

Oct 16, 2016
Kentishgreen":2y7i75dy said:
Looking back, many many people were very optimistic when players from Man City and Arsenal were signed. It’s just unfortunate that all those players turned out to be crap. No one could have foreseen that. In addition Eddy didn’t step up to the plate when Bradley left. No one could have fore seen that either. Only one of his summer signings really worked out and no one could have foreseen that either. Neither could anyone have foreseen the players would down tools and get hammered by Accrington, a result that sealed our fate more or less. Everyone’s keen to have a pop at the manager what about having a go at our ex-team of capitulators?
It’s a managers job to ‘foresee that’, that’s how he succeeds or fails

Aug 5, 2015
On that basis no one would sign anybody unless they were sure the player would succeed. If you had that much prescience you would be better off buying lottery tickets. I take it Liverpool have never ever signed anybody who bombed?

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
Actually I think this is quite a shrewd move by Derek Adams. Morecombe as a club have a stable financial footing with the fairly recent takeover. Even though they may attract crowds one sixth the size of those a Home Park their turnover was just under half that of Argyle’s most recent full season. They own their own ground and were able to generate half a million from hospitality.

Derek Adams will be able to control the whole of the football side as is his desire. The Club have a reputation for long term backing. So he has everything to gain and nothing to lose, perhaps apart from relegation to the National League in the one season only one will go down. He can ably demonstrate how he can operate on a lower budget or as he would put it ‘out perform the budget’. I think that is what the attraction is of the opportunity.

As for Orient the fact that Martin Ling was the Director of Football was the impediment to any potential appointment. Back to that control thing.

As an aside when Derek returns to Home Park next month it will be the first time he will have had any fans near him during game time at the stadium. Might make for some interesting exchanges with those on the lower tier. Hopefully, though he will be accorded the warm welcome and appreciation his tenure deserves.

Just a shame it all went horribly wrong at the end and that in retrospect the all encompassing Head of Football was a step too far for one man to handle, especially one sensitive to criticism, however justified.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I still can't see how this thread; posters hoping we lose; posters 'bigging up' a rival's new manager; how is this Argyle related?
Football Forum fodder at best.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
He had fans near the dugouts on the Mayflower for the Liverpool Cup tie and the temporary seats were retained until the Exeter game also I think?

Although I guess they were elevated above the dugouts rather than dugouts within the stand as per the new.

He'll get a mixed reception, but overall I think it'll be more positive than not. I liked him, for 3 seasons it was pretty good. It was correct that he got the sack also. He's responsible for bringing one of my all time favourite players to the club and retaining Carey for 4 seasons was brilliant.

Best of luck to him at Morecambe. He gets a second test at a, much easier, relegation battle.

Sep 6, 2006
Kentishgreen":1agu14sk said:
On that basis no one would sign anybody unless they were sure the player would succeed. If you had that much prescience you would be better off buying lottery tickets. I take it Liverpool have never ever signed anybody who bombed?

Afraid I have to agree with shankster. It is perfectly obvious that the manager should take responsibility for poor signings- and there were plenty. You cant say it was just down to bad luck!

Sep 6, 2006
Stuart House":2v5bot8p said:

:clap: