Derek Ufton RIP | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Derek Ufton RIP

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Pogleswoody":35h1amdo said:
..... and The Big Fry ad where he flourished a giant chocolate bar on a mountain peak!

A varied life!!

RIP.

Wasn't that George Lazenby? (Though they did look pretty similar)

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
You are right Kernow 19. Derek was, however, also the "Guardsman" in the Guards cigarette ad. and the Husband in the Ovaltine commercial.

Horsley Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Sep 21, 2003
West Horsley
A few years ago, he was the half time guest being interviewed on the pitch at Home Park. Unfortunately, the sprinklers were switched on and he got a soaking. He showed a good turn of speed for someone of his age!

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I have to admit, having started watching Argyle in 1961, (as a very young boy), I knew very little about the role of the manager, and recognised only the ability of good players (or bad).

I think Malcolm Allison, being a "name", first made me think about what the manager actually does. After Allison left, the role of a manager, went back into the shadows, and it wasn´t until Billy Bingham came along in 1968 (another "name") that the role of the manager was highlighted (mostly in the press).

Sadly Derek, for me, was a bit unseen, but oversaw a period when people in Plymouth would be heard saying "Argyle - rubbish".

Anyway, anyone who worked for, played for or managed the Greens, deserves respect.

RIP

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Barrie Davis":1juhsfe7 said:
Ian is right, he had more than a passing connection with Charlton, appearing nearly 300 times as centre half. Apart from a single England cap, he was famous for shoulder injuries, and dislocated his at least 20 times. He was a director at Charlton from 1984 to 2009.

He was captain of Charlton in the record-setting match against Huddersfield Town at The Valley on 21 December 1957. Charlton played most of the match with 10 men after Ufton was injured, and Huddersfield were leading 5–1 with just 27 minutes remaining. At that point, Johnny Summers began a passage of play in which he scored five goals and assisted with two others to allow Charlton to win 7–6. Huddersfield become the first, and still the only, team to score six goals in an English Football League match – or any other professional football match – and still be on the losing side.

Joined Argyle as coach under Marcolm Allison in 1964 and replaced him as Manager in 1965. Stayed until 1968. In the mid-sixties, I worked near the Hoe and had to take money daily to Barclay's Bank in Notte Street. He always seemed to be in there. I later learned that he married Judy Cottram, a cashier at the bank. Explains everything.

His second marriage to Judy Cottram was mentioned in an obituary printed in my paper today, as was his unfortunate unsuccessful period as manager at Plymouth Argyle. Another interesting piece of information was that his sports master at Dartford G S was called Jagger, who was Mick Jagger's father. It was Jagger senior, who went out of his way to coach Derek at cricket. Derek was always tickled that Mick Jagger asked first for his autograph rather than the the reverse! Fame indeed.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Another article I was reading on the Hamlet Historian yesterday, He sounded a bit of a character.

ufton.jpg

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Pogleswoody":2i8cddf6 said:
IJN":2i8cddf6 said:
The manager when I started supporting Argyle.

Also he was the man in the advert 'Dip Don't Dazzle' a public information film on in the late 60's warning against full beams on the road.

Always heard he was a gentleman. From memory he had something to do with Charlton Athletic, perhaps he was a player there.

..... and The Big Fry ad where he flourished a giant chocolate bar on a mountain peak!

A varied life!!

RIP.
I had always thought that was George Lazenby who then won a one movie contract to play James Bond.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
rongreenblood":3cd1b9jn said:
In answer to your question,Barrie Davies.
I think the player is Gordon Astall,who died last year.
Good shout. Did Gordon get a full cap? I was thinking if it's not him it maybe Roy Bentley?