Derek Ufton | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Derek Ufton

G

Greenskin

Quintrell_Green":217m7sr3 said:
Greenskin":217m7sr3 said:
IJN":217m7sr3 said:
He seemed to have shrunk from what I remembered him.

He was the Manager when I started going, did you know that he was involved in a TV advert?

Rings a bell that,not sure what the advert was though.I suppose he must be well into his seventies [if not eighties] now,he was sacked in 1968,42 years ago!.Jeez,how time flies,probably his best moment down here came when we beat Millwall to end their run of 59 home games without defeat.My dad took me to that one,i was only 7 and haven't bricked myself so much either before or since!Never heard noise like the crowd made when they were pressing for the equaliser,either.Lots of trouble,bottles thrown,coaches getting windows smashed,assaults on directors etc,they didn't like it up'em!. Derek guided us through that one though,fantastic day in the end. I think he's still a director at Charlton,so he must keep himself pretty active still,good to see.

Considering the reputation of Millwall supporters at THe Den back then, and the Cold Blow End in particular, there might have been a case to report your Dad to the NSPCC. I am glad you got away unscathed!

Perhaps that day was what triggered my long term psychological problems :) .I remember walking through Cold Blow Lane,very dark with a tunnel under a bridge,i think,generally pretty threatening.I also remember John Mitten,who i think was making his debut,missing an absolute sitter to make it three nil.We caught the train back and all the players and management were on the same train,there was quite a crowd at Plymouth station to greet the party on their return.The result and consequences created quite a stir even on a national level,i've still got the press cuttings in my old scrapbook,must dig it out some time and relive those memories.

L

Loveshy_Green

I remember visiting the old Den when Argyle played at Millwall in 1979 - Loads would not make the trip because they thought there was bound to be trouble, but went through the match and there was none at all !

I even remember the stewards and programme sellers etc. being quite friendly towards us.

The previous year had a brick through the coach windscreen whilst pulling away at Hillsborough ( Sheff Wed. ) after we had beathen them 3-2 under Mal Allison's second tenure at the club - Fred Binney scored a hat-trick from memory.

Chelsea fans were the worse I have ever experienced though - behaved like animals when Argyle beat them at Stamford Bridge in the late 70's. in the League Cup !

G

Greenskin

Loveshy_Green":16wyopap said:
I remember visiting the old Den when Argyle played at Millwall in 1979 - Loads would not make the trip because they thought there was bound to be trouble, but went through the match and there was none at all !

I even remember the stewards and programme sellers etc. being quite friendly towards us.

The previous year had a brick through the coach windscreen whilst pulling away at Hillsborough ( Sheff Wed. ) after we had beathen them 3-2 under Mal Allison's second tenure at the club - Fred Binney scored a hat-trick from memory.

Chelsea fans were the worse I have ever experienced though - behaved like animals when Argyle beat them at Stamford Bridge in the late 70's. in the League Cup !

I think the fact that Argyle broke their long unbeaten record really triggered off the trouble in 1967,if they'd have beaten Argyle,it would probably have passed off quietly.Alan Banks and Mike Bickle had a lot to answer for! I've been to Millwall since,as you say not much different to any other game,seen a lot worse at other grounds,including HP.