Drastic changes need to be made | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Drastic changes need to be made

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
gru_mpy":3r95bsk2 said:
I noticed in the week that Niles Ranger (ex Newcastle and a host of others) is without a club again. This is someone who was once considered the best English prospect in the Prem and has scored regularly in the Championship but the downside is that, apparently, he is a disciplinary nightmare. Ive just read his Wikipedia entry and, trust me, it's not for the faint-hearted. In mid-week he was quoted as saying he wants 'one last chance' so what have we got to lose? If Southend can afford to pay him then surely we can too.

I doubt if this idea will meet with much agreement but the fact is, these desperate times call for desperate actions. And what if the penny has finally dropped for Mr Ranger and Argyle end up the beneficiaries?

Just a thought.
we have a much better player in a front pairing.fletcher.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Qoo3939L":1qlme0uw said:
Steve Evans":1qlme0uw said:
the problem is he will not play the young lads who deserve a chance.

Steve my old pal, please don't tell me you mean Fletcher remember our bet.
great to hear from you buddy.how are you?yes i mean fletcher in a front two.i am heartbroken with the way our season is going.a humiliating defeat today.i owe you a pound mate. :thumbup:

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
gru_mpy":397vyrou said:
I noticed in the week that Niles Ranger (ex Newcastle and a host of others) is without a club again. This is someone who was once considered the best English prospect in the Prem and has scored regularly in the Championship but the downside is that, apparently, he is a disciplinary nightmare. Ive just read his Wikipedia entry and, trust me, it's not for the faint-hearted. In mid-week he was quoted as saying he wants 'one last chance' so what have we got to lose? If Southend can afford to pay him then surely we can too.

I doubt if this idea will meet with much agreement but the fact is, these desperate times call for desperate actions. And what if the penny has finally dropped for Mr Ranger and Argyle end up the beneficiaries?

Just a thought.
i can imagine nile receiving his first pay cheque from argyle and strolling down union street for a small sherry.

Mar 21, 2013
Steve Evans":1sngrqoj said:

That is not the problem, I can’t see them doing much worse then the first team at the moment but your solution to everything seems to be “just play the youth team”, it really isn’t that simple.

I dont usually comment after a game i havnt seen, but this one sounds like a pretty bad one for argyle and DA in particular.
So heres how i would like him to act this week in what for him would be 2 really drastic changes.

Firstly abandon the flat back 4 and his long favoured 4141/433 and go to a 3 centre back system.
Simple reason for this is that at present, we just dont seem to have the quality defenders to play a flat back 4 at this level.
Get the board to back him getting in an experienced free agent right footed centre back on a short term deal just like
we did in centre mid last season with toums. There are some out there. Wes brown and greg halford for example.
Play the 2 young defenders at WB. Greg wylde could prosper out there as an attacking LWB option too.
2 ball winners in front instead of just the one in the 433. So more protection and hopefully more game control.
He would then have the option up front of either going with 2 no 10s and one striker, like currently in the 433, or play one
no10 behind 2 strikers.

Secondly, i think its maybe time for him to do a "luggy" and drop the short passing style out from the back he favours and keep
it much simpler and play a more direct percentage style of football.
Like him i much prefer the short passing style too, but it just aint working with us 13 games in now. It needs a solid
defensive base first. For us to firstly control games and then play our way out from. Which we did so well last season.
So imho we need to simplify and play a more shape driven system which hopefully will make us more competetive again,
at least in the short term.
Just like the luggster decided after managing his first season in english footie. He saw what was achievable with the players
likely available to him down here. Out then went sean evers and tippy tappy. And in came dave frio and stevie adams
with shape and clean sheets a plenty. The rest is history.
So in our current predicament id like DA to again go against his principles and play a more direct style using a 3412.
Long channel balls for 2 pacy forwards to counter with. Big fred and maybe fletch starting with more early
crossing from out wide for them to attack.
GC10 my first choice as the no 10. Though there are plenty of other options to choose from.
So 2 drastic changes he could try. Tactical and style of play.
I hope he tries at least one of them as today sounded really bad and maybe it was literally a game changer for him with what
happened with him at the end.
Whatever, it will be interesting to see what he comes up with on saturday.
Hopefully, not more of the same endured by so many today.

Sep 6, 2006
Steve Evans":3jrlljfx said:
Qoo3939L":3jrlljfx said:
Steve Evans":3jrlljfx said:

Steve my old pal, please don't tell me you mean Fletcher remember our bet.
great to hear from you buddy.how are you?yes i mean fletcher in a front two.i am heartbroken with the way our season is going.a humiliating defeat today.i owe you a pound mate. :thumbup:

Still going up though aren't we Steve?

Sep 6, 2006
Fat_green_belly":286h9fhk said:
I dont usually comment after a game i havnt seen, but this one sounds like a pretty bad one for argyle and DA in particular.
So heres how i would like him to act this week in what for him would be 2 really drastic changes.

Firstly abandon the flat back 4 and his long favoured 4141/433 and go to a 3 centre back system.
Simple reason for this is that at present, we just dont seem to have the quality defenders to play a flat back 4 at this level.
Get the board to back him getting in an experienced free agent right footed centre back on a short term deal just like
we did in centre mid last season with toums. There are some out there. Wes brown and greg halford for example.
Play the 2 young defenders at WB. Greg wylde could prosper out there as an attacking LWB option too.
2 ball winners in front instead of just the one in the 433. So more protection and hopefully more game control.
He would then have the option up front of either going with 2 no 10s and one striker, like currently in the 433, or play one
no10 behind 2 strikers.

Secondly, i think its maybe time for him to do a "luggy" and drop the short passing style out from the back he favours and keep
Like him i much prefer the short passing style too, but it just aint working with us 13 games in now. It needs a solid
defensive base first. For us to firstly control games and then play our way out from. Which we did so well last season.
So imho we need to simplify and play a more shape driven system which hopefully will make us more competetive again,
Just like the luggster decided after managing his first season in english footie. He saw what was achievable with the players
likely available to him down here. Out then went sean evers and tippy tappy. And in came dave frio and stevie adams
So in our current predicament id like DA to again go against his principles and play a more direct style using a 3412.
Long channel balls for 2 pacy forwards to counter with. Big fred and maybe fletch starting with more early
GC10 my first choice as the no 10. Though there are plenty of other options to choose from.
I hope he tries at least one of them as today sounded really bad and maybe it was literally a game changer for him with what

How can you come up with all this when you weren't there?. I can promise you for a start there was very little of the short passing style from the back you refer to. The centre half's are massively important players and if they are useless as ours are, slow and unable to pass, you are at a huge disadvantage from the start.

Balham_Green":n8qimj19 said:
Fat_green_belly":n8qimj19 said:

no10 behind 2 strikers.

How can you come up with all this when you weren't there?. I can promise you for a start there was very little of the short passing style from the back you refer to. The centre half's are massively important players and if they are useless as ours are, slow and unable to pass, you are at a huge disadvantage from the start.
I needed to comment BG. Especially after the improved performance of last weekend. It sounded pretty damn sh!te today.
In a massively important game too.
Last week we did pass the ball out from the back more. We are always at our best when we pass the ball under this manager.
Thats why i like the football his teams "CAN" play at times. Not enough though, especially this season.
Hoof too much and were crap.
We need the right players to do this though. And your spot on about the CBs, they aint good enough at it from what ive seen.
Defending isnt good enough either. Within a back 5, with 3 not ready yet u23s innit causing even more uncertainty.
Thats why ive put down these drastic solutions if i was DA. If your going to hoof at least set up for it.
What would you do in DAs position, apart from resigning? Or perhaps timewarping back to the end of last season to alter the
incomings/outgoings in pre season. :think:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Westbury Green":301x7xx7 said:
foreigner":301x7xx7 said:
Westbury Green":301x7xx7 said:
Keeper out, centre backs have no pace, Ruben constantly giving the ball away, O'keefe doesn't look fit, Carey not getting close enough to target man, i could go on, Dereck is the man to sort this, use the local talent nothing to lose
On what basis is he the man to sort this? And who is this Dereck?
Derek is committed to his job and will sort it he doesn't give up as we have seen in previous seasons we have had more difficult times than this and survived

Sorry we shouldn’t just be surviving .. we should be around mid-ish in the league.

The football is dire and has been for 6 months, the players have no confidence in what they are doing. There’s only one person who’s To blame for this. We now have 1 league win in 17 games (or is it 18) and have just been dominated by the worst team in L1.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Does anyone know the playing record during the period Kevin Nancekivell has been first team coach?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i listened to martin grittons comments on greens on screen and he is a very good commentator.he said "argyle will have to make wholesale changes".now is the time derek.play fletcher alongside freddie,return macey and o'keefe and bring in mike peck alongside the other centre half to begin with.hopefully sarcevic will be available so he comes in for o'keefe.we have the players at the club and don't need other clubs squad players at the moment.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
jimsing":16la1j86 said:
We cannot change personnel, and only in January can we bring anyone else in (I know we can bring in someone without a Club, but at this stage of the season why hasn't anyone else got him?)

We have the worst goal difference in the division, and as we don't have a prolific goalscorer we have to start with defending well.

Macey has lost his confidence at the moment, but is a better prospect than Letheren, who has not had enough games to be anything other than sat on the bench, and here is time for Macey to get up to speed again. In any case Burgoyne will be back before the year end, and although we don't know what he is like, he was Adam's first choice, and will either take over (with Macey returning to his home club), or will be a better choice of competition to Macey that Letheren.

I'm afraid Edwards and Wootton have shown they are not good enough, so the middle pair have to be Canavan and P Grant who have yet to play regularly together to be given time to form a partnership. Other pairings have failed to produce, and a left footer and right footer have to be paired together, it doesn't work else.

The full backs can be interchangeable but Smith-Brown and Moore are young (which can sometimes be a good thing), with Riley, and Sawyer when fit, bringing experience rather than pace when required (dependent on the opposition).

Ness is a must in midfield, as is Sarcevic, but only when fully fit, Fox for home games and Songoo for away games. O'Keefe is too lightweight for me, and Connor Grant does try and is a good replacement on the bench.

The creators and forwards are interchangeable for me. Carey can be a game changer, but he needs to do the normal things well and then he can do the special stuff. He gives away the ball far too much for my liking, but the opposition have sussed him out and know how to nullify him. Lamerias has been slightly better for this but he does not have the muscle and gets shoved off the ball too easily.

Until Taylor gets back fit we have to go with Ladapo. Carey and Lamerias will have to learn that he does not want the ball at his feet, like Taylor does, and that they have to play the ball for him to run onto.

We also need a box to box midfielder to get into the opposition box when Carey and Lamerias are out wide together, as Ladapo cannot cope on his own. Sarcevic is ideal in this position, but only when match fit, which is the only time he can be effective getting up and back, as he tends to fade otherwise.

We aren't going to win the league, we more than probably won't even get into the top half, but we just need to avoid the bottom four places this season, and there are plenty of games left, but we need to find a settled back four to give us some impetus to get where we want to be.

A post that is so sensible and pragmatic that it's likely to be ignored. More or less spot on though for me.