England and Argyle . Twins ..... | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England and Argyle . Twins .....

Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
I think under Southgate and Foster their teams' results isn't too shabby, Foster's results are on par with Schumacher but what concerns many England and Argyle fans is the dull and risk averse style of play, especially when having several good attacking players at their disposal.

With Foster this is highlighted even more because Argyle have gone from an attacking and entertaining team to a borefest almost overnight, especially in home games.
I agree in part however and the big however in the room is that under Southgate eng have played the top 10 teams 27 times and have wone only winning 6, drawing 9 and 12 losses. Just like IF, record agaisnt the top teams is rubbish as well. The negative tactics are damming and very poor. Not good enough and wasting good talent

Oct 31, 2015
I agree in part however and the big however in the room is that under Southgate eng have played the top 10 teams 27 times and have wone only winning 6, drawing 9 and 12 losses. Just like IF, record agaisnt the top teams is rubbish as well. The negative tactics are damming and very poor. Not good enough and wasting good talent
Wow I didnt realise that stat for England. That is pants yet the press and FA would have you believe they are nearly as good as 66.

Aug 4, 2011
Indeed, and that is the rub that people conveniently gloss over when talking ā€œstatsā€. Most of Southgates success has come in friendlies against teams we expect to win, or with favourable qualification groups and even more favourable tournament draws, coming up against teams where itā€™s a coin toss and weā€™ve come unstuck more often than we shouldā€™ve

Jan 21, 2007
So, taking out friendlies, including the Europa League, Southgate's England have only lost to 4 teams in 8 years, at 3 major tournaments.

Belgium, ranked No 1 in the World at the time, in the World Cup group stage, when we'd already qualified, knowing that a loss would give us an easier route to the final; and he rested a lot of players.

Croatia, a smaller nation but a team containing players with far more international caps, and nearly twice as many Champions League apperances, than the England squad, in the Semi of the same World Cup, where we were leading for most of the game, where we continued to create clear cut chances, to a team that threw everything at us. We lost in extra time.

Italy, on penalty's in the 2020 Euro final ... the same Italy that had already beaten two of the top three seeds earlier in the tournament; Belgium and Spain.

France, reigning World Cup holders and number one seeds, where they scored their first goal after fouling Saka, and Kane missed a penalty that would have made it 2-2 late in the 2nd half.

All of the other defeats in the 27 - 6 - 9 - 12 equation were friendlies (training matches) where club managers pull their players out for little or no reason, and tactics/formations are tested out.

For 6 years, before Southgate was appointed England Manager, England had slipped out of the top ten in the FIFA Rankings (16th when he took over), however, we've either been 4th or 5th in each full season since he's been in charge.

Reactions: Jon with no H

unhinched

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016
Stats can tell you anything mind you. Based on % age of points taken against those available Capello is our best manager ever. (Apart from Big Sam's 100% record from one game)
Venables lost the least, just once in 24, but drew a lot.
The managers before GS were not the best, that's for sure.
Sven has the highest points percentage in competition, inc qualifying
Sir Alf and El Tel have the highest points %age in finals of competitions.
Southgate comes out reasonably well in most analyses without ever getting in the top three( ignoring Sam A of course)) and, for me, that's where he sits : plenty worse ( Hodgson, McClaren, Keegan etc ) but below the top group.
If he was a team maybe he'd be Spurs.