Fans Forum (20th March 7.30pm) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Fans Forum (20th March 7.30pm)

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I assume there'll be a video? Even me being a green shade/kit obsessive am not bothered about the shirts compared to... for example, hearing Andrew Parkinson speak. Was he there?

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
There will be a video of the event, not such a good turnout as the last Forum that most probably down to poor advertising of the meeting.

On the face of it the new guy looks to be the ideal candidate to make the most of the new facilities.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Very good Fans Forum lasting just over 90 minutes and attended by around 80-90 people. The event was recorded for You Tube and i-Follow.
Simon Hallett was in the chair and was accompanied by Andrew Parkinson and Michael Dunford. Jon Back was unwell and couldn’t attend.
A wide range of discussion with all questions answered honestly and openly. Fans were also able to meet and mingle with the three participants before and after the formalities. Unlike some, I am a strong advocate of such events, together with the Fans Assembly and ability to meet the CEO by appointment or through the AFT it is difficult to envisage what more the Club can do in its engagement with fans. In my view we are now at the top level of supporter engagement and all at the club should be congratulated in achieving it. I am pleased to say the same will continue with Andrew Parkinson as CEO from May.

Summary (in order of questions raised – with thanks to other sources as an aide memoire!)

1. Shirts – already discussed
2. SH confirmed that finances from the new facilities won’t be delivering positively until late into next season when net positive revenues will start to feed into team building.
3. SH said we need to be sustainable and we are not at present. He will continue to fund the Club and inject funds into team building.
4. SH wants to make the Club central to part of the community. The Club need to get the facilities used outside of match days. They need to improve the culture of service and referred to what AP had achieved in Liverpool as a benchmark.
5. MD said the Club would be taking the outside catering (burger vans etc.) back under the control of the Club. AP said would be looking to do a version of the outside food and drink offering that was prevalent at Anfield. An attempt to broaden the offering beyond the corporate
6. SH confirmed the pitch is the only one of its type left in the Football League. He described it as fragile and probably only 40 games a season could be played on it. Will need to be replaced. Colin Wheatcroft has been back helping out with advice.
7. SH stated all teams should be under the Argyle umbrella including the Argyle Ladies. The Ladies team (their preference for the name) is currently under the Community Trust. Finances will be an issue in taking the team forward, although that is the Club’s aspiration.
8. Argyle and the Home park facilities are planned to be a big part of the Mayflower 400 2020 celebrations. Perhaps a women’s international game and a two day concert event. Additional concerts planned for Home Park – the ‘Abba’ one is selling well.
9. The old Grandstand was ill equipped to cover all categories of hospitality for Argyle fans and non-match days. Great opportunity to enhance all levels of spectator experience. Will take time. AP confirmed Pioneer Launch was successful and that further packages will be announced shortly arranged by tier of offer. Didn’t see competition with GTs – rather complementary, particularly for non-match day events. Enhances the offer and SH confirmed that ultimately the facility would come back to the club.
10. On Safe Standing the Club have been walking a fine line as standing is strictly illegal but Block 14 issues are less but could have been handled better. If it comes it will come in Phase 2 (the quadrants?). Can’t see why Fleetwood allow standing, just because they have not competed in the Championship whereas Argyle don’t have the same dispensation.
11. The Club are putting significant investment at all levels of the playing side of the Club, including the Academy.
12. The Club have lost their competitive edge in hospitality and transfer revenues. The new Head of Recruitment will be vital in getting younger home grown talent into the first team with perhaps a sell on with added value as other League 1 teams have achieved. The question is ‘develop and sell’ or retain for longer.
13. The Club are looking for a Park and Ride set up for Cornish fans the other side of the Tamar. GWR have not been helpful on timetabling for match days
14. As reported recently the Club are going to Holland pre-season. Two games are hoped to be arranged for Home Park pre-season with Championship standard teams as a minimum. Negotiations are advanced.
15. With regard to the upper tier of the Grandstand letters will be going out to Grandstand season tick holders. A ‘visitor centre’ will be open in the former club shop to discuss matters with season ticket holders and those interested in the new hospitality offerings. In June or July (with hard hats) season ticket holders will be able to sit in ‘their seat in the upper tier. A total of 16 season ticket holders may not have the ‘same’ seat as before.
16. The tannoy system will be revamped – it is at the end of its life. This will be done when the grandstand is complete (and occupied) for acoustic balance
17. MD confirmed that he only had a 12 month contract and is delighted to be handing the ‘baton’ to AP who he and the Board regarded very highly. As reported he will continue on the Board as Vice Chairman

There was very little discussion about the redeveloped Grandstand as Jon Back was not there to answer questions as he was unwell. However, in a slight ‘throwaway comment right at the end MD referred to the cost of the Grandstand as being ‘£6.5m to £7.5m’. Clearly, there have been added costs that have been already been publicised. I don't know if the hospitality fit-out is outside the terms and costs of the original GL Events contract. No doubt in time we will find out.

Overall, I came to the reasonable conclusion that the Club is very much moving in the right direction with the necessary off-field investment in place and a catch up on foregone maintenance. I imagine this is having a direct impact on the current finances and the pathway to sustainability. The delay in the net income from the new facilities will only add to this in the short term Ultimately, it may also impact upon the playing budget as Derek Adams has alluded to. I think the Board meet next week to finalise it. However, thankfully,we have a very committed owner (and his wife) who have the willingness and the financial ability to getting the club through these changing and challenging times. We should all be grateful for that.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Thanks a lot, Graham.

I had no idea the pitch was so out of date, I thought it was state-of-the-art!

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Many thanks Graham, much appreciated..

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
A very detailed and concise summary of the Fans’ Forum. Anyone watching the video will find that GC’s summary has covered just about anything of relevance that was discussed.

MD did say that there could be a ‘Queen’ based event, similar to the ABBA one, later this year.

Many thanks to Simon Hallett for paying for a round of drinks for all who attended. A very generous gesture.

Simon also implied that he could be tempted to demonstrate his ukulele skills at some stage during the Mayflower 2020 celebrations

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
IJN":25mfs19r said:
I must admit I'm not the biggest fan of these. Some people attend wanting to know the ins and outs of a cat's backside and come away with very little.

I'm sure the AFT would have been there, so maybe Mr Cholwell will report back, if he's allowed.

Alas, I was in Weston Super Mare working.

However, as has become a tradition now, the excellent reports of John LLoyd were “broadcast” live on FB. Reading Graham’s comprehensive report the 2 efforts match up rather well.

The Brexit Truckers blockade withstanding, I will be down bright and early Saturday morning.

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ SWAG Member
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 1, 2006
Graham Clark":3n701wbm said:
16. The tannoy system will be revamped – it is at the end of its life. This will be done when the grandstand is complete (and occupied) for acoustic balance

Thanks Graham - I think this bit in particular is very good news. Let's hope it's done properly with really clear sound, that would be lovely.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
ChepstowGreen":1641mbac said:
Graham Clark":1641mbac said:

Thanks Graham - I think this bit in particular is very good news. Let's hope it's done properly with really clear sound, that would be lovely.
Pardon?