Farewell 3rd division. 45 rpm 1975 | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Farewell 3rd division. 45 rpm 1975

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Holy Moses! I must still have my copy lurking somewhere!
I recall it being played more than once at the promotion party. To be honest, my recollections after that stage of the proceedings become a little "vague", but I know I didn't arrive home until about 5 a.m. Those were the days. Now I'm on for a cup of chocolate and book at bedtime on radio 4 !

Mar 10, 2017
Ipplepen
I got a copy of it somewhere. From memory was it called farewell 3rd division or it’s a long way to plymouth argyle ? Did it not mention something about loving the referee ?!?!?!

Jun 27, 2019
Can anyone remember what popular/famous tune the B side was set to? It's doing my head in trying to remember.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
WoodsyGreen":2aa4hdb7 said:
Can anyone remember what popular/famous tune the B side was set to? It's doing my head in trying to remember.

Knees up Mother Brown :crazy:

Dec 21, 2010
Sad person that I am, I have just found it in my collection. "Farewell 3rd Division" sung to the tune of 'It's A Long Way To Tipperary' by the Argyle squad with music by The Mount Charles Band with a B side of "Promotion '75".

Jan 20, 2004
Asked Mrs E a few weeks ago if she'd seen my old 45 s when she had a clear up a while back. She assured me they are quite 'safe' (not sure what that actually means) but if they are 'safe' it's in there with them.

This thread has triggered off a reinvigorated effort to check on their actual 'safety'.

Feb 28, 2016
WoodsyGreen":1hp4dvc3 said:
Doing mine in now too! Closest I’ve come up with so far is The Laughing policeman but don’t think it is that.

Lyrics that I remember are
We have the best supporters in all of Eng-er-land,
From Barne Park to the Demport End( Lyndhurst and Mayflower too?)
Something something something
Ohhhh what a champion crowd what a champion crowd are they

Last verse was the ohhh what a referee, what a referee was heeeee eee

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Also found out that that the word "Argyle " was mis-spelt by the record company??

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
MarkMatthews":18ibqmp7 said:
WoodsyGreen":18ibqmp7 said:
Doing mine in now too! Closest I’ve come up with so far is The Laughing policeman but don’t think it is that.

Lyrics that I remember are
We have the best supporters in all of Eng-er-land,
From Barne Park to the Demport End( Lyndhurst and Mayflower too?)
Something something something
Ohhhh what a champion crowd what a champion crowd are they

Last verse was the ohhh what a referee, what a referee was heeeee eee

As someone said: Knees up Mother Brown but from the 'refrain' section:
Oh my what a rotten song, what a rotten song, what a rotten song, oh my what a rotten song, what a rotten singer tooooo-ooooo!

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
I have it, complete with 'Argyll' misspelling and the signature of a 'Billy Rafferty', anyone heard of him?!

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Alan Turing":2la11wyr said:
I have it, complete with 'Argyll' misspelling and the signature of a 'Billy Rafferty', anyone heard of him?!

Amazing! Just three years later he was back in the charts with Baker Street with Bob Holness on saxophone, John Wayne on xylophone and Roy Rogers on Trigger!! :clap: