Favourite footballing year | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Favourite footballing year

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
1966. Saw my first ever game at Hillsborough - West Germany v Uruguay in the World Cup, followed by my first ever Owls match, 3-2 defeat in the FA. Cup final against Everton having been
2-0 up. It prepared me for a life of mostly disappointment as a Wednesday fan and then I compounded it by making Argyle my second team from 1975 and ditto mostly disappointment. Still love em both though.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Devongreenowl":1276uhnv said:
1966. Saw my first ever game at Hillsborough - West Germany v Uruguay in the World Cup, followed by my first ever Owls match, 3-2 defeat in the FA. Cup final against Everton having been
2-0 up. It prepared me for a life of mostly disappointment as a Wednesday fan and then I compounded it by making Argyle my second team from 1975 and ditto mostly disappointment. Still love em both though.

Apologies, other way around!

Nov 2, 2004
Dave Smiths promotion year for me. Unlike the other promotions under Waiters, Sturrock and Adams we were not expecting it. Smith seemed to build a team from nowhere and they were such an exciting attacking team. It is rarely mentioned how well they did when promoted, what a top manager he was.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Devongreenowl":3kdad9zx said:
Devongreenowl":3kdad9zx said:
2-0 up.
It prepared me for a life of mostly disappointment as a Wednesday fan and then I compounded it by making Argyle my second team from 1975 and ditto mostly disappointment. Still love em both though.

Ah: even then Plymouth Argyle and their (former) players were haunting you!! :lol:

2001/02 for me. Great fun travelling around the country sampling different beers and watching Argyle play. There haven't been many occasions when I've turned up before a match and knew we were going to win, but that season was different. And pipping Joe Kinnear to top spot was the icing on the cake :)

M

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Pogleswoody":2i85scy5 said:
Devongreenowl":2i85scy5 said:
Devongreenowl":2i85scy5 said:
2-0 up.
It prepared me for a life of mostly disappointment as a Wednesday fan and then I compounded it by making Argyle my second team from 1975 and ditto mostly disappointment. Still love em both though.

Ah: even then Plymouth Argyle and their (former) players were haunting you!! :lol:

Ha Trebilcock with two goals. But I cried when Derek Temple got the winner after a terrible mistake by Gerry Young. Seriously though, Wednesday have signed some great Ex-Argyle players but the one that haunts most of us is probably Jon Beswetherick. Absolutely useless and completely out of his depth. He regularly comes in the top 5 worst Wednesday players of all time posts.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
I wouldn't say the first promotion under Sturrock was expected, given say Kidderminster (A) the previous season the team was being jeered and mocked mid game by some of the less bright of the away following, and some of the signings that summer looked a little underwhelming, Coughlan for one looked a right clogger in his first few games.

The SKY generation's stats obsessions with points and promotions etc shouldn't dictate memories, 93-94 was the special time when it felt like that was the most imaginative football on show in the country. Results like home to Cardiff Cambridge and Burnley were the mere flip side, like love and grief.

Mar 29, 2020
Mine was the 86 - 87 season..1st season following Argyle..a young 15 year old travelling with mates...saving every penny just to watch Argyle play...Great days....34 Seasons later still doing it.... :cool:

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Devongreenowl":3azo94l4 said:
A few years of I went to former Owl and Pilgrim Jim McAnearney's funeral and then the wake at Hillsborough Golf Club I was introduced to Gerry Young, Peter Eustace and John Quinn. I mentioned to them that two or thee weeks earlier I had spoken at a Senior Greens event and that former Argyle and Everton man Mike Trebilcock was in the audience and that he mentioned the 66 FAC several times when we talked later. Gerry Young nearly choked on his sandwich and said: "If you see the little b*stard again, tell him he still not welcome in Sheffield."

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
memory man":3der8nz8 said:
Devongreenowl":3der8nz8 said:
A few years of I went to former Owl and Pilgrim Jim McAnearney's funeral and then the wake at Hillsborough Golf Club I was introduced to Gerry Young, Peter Eustace and John Quinn. I mentioned to them that two or thee weeks earlier I had spoken at a Senior Greens event and that former Argyle and Everton man Mike Trebilcock was in the audience and that he mentioned the 66 FAC several times when we talked later. Gerry Young nearly choked on his sandwich and said: "If you see the little b*stard again, tell him he still not welcome in Sheffield."

Jim Mcanearney - there’s a name from the distant past! I never knew he was an ex Argyle player (or Wednesday actually). I remembered him as the Rotherham manager for some years after Tommy Docherty and he was also on the coaching staff at Hillsborough for a while. Trebilcock certainly put us to the sword that day after we had looked like winning at a canter. I think we are still the only team to lose an FA cup final in normal time from a 2-0 advantage. :banghead: