First Argyle Game | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

First Argyle Game

Jul 25, 2006
Leighton Buzzard
My dad used to take as a toddler, but he had to stop because I kept kicking the person in the next seat apparently. That was around 1960. The first game I remember in my own right was the
6-0 win over Corby Town on the FA cup in 1966.
I stood behind the goal in the Barn Park. You didn't seem to get many away fans in those days, and prior to the game you could walk all the way round the ground, which people seemed to do!

Reactions: RB00194
Apr 9, 2024
My Dad started taking me in the '86-87 season. Can't remember the first ever game, but I know my first away game was Pompey in '87 - Argyle wearing my fav ever kit - green top, black shorts, white socks. Perfection!
I can remember being really scared after the game as a guy pulled out a knife and said 'who wants some then?' to a group of us. My Dad whipped my scarf off quicker than a whippet with a bum full of dynamite! Anyway, we won that game to go top I think, or second. Funny how you remember goals differently. My memory is of Summerfield volleying the ball in from OUTSIDE the box, but I remember seeing the goal a year or so ago and it was nothing like that! The packed crowd erupted - limbs to today's audience. Ever since then I've loved away games and try to go to as many as I can being exiled in Norwich.

Last edited:

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Maybe West Ham in a cup game?

Pretty sure either that or a game against hull around 1999?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Can't remember exactly which was my first game. Malcolm Allison was the manager in his first spell during the 64/65 season. McClaren, Book, Newman, Neale, Nelson, Williams, Baird, Trebilcock, Jones, Lord, Jennings, Corbett amongst the first players I remember.

Mar 30, 2024
Can't remember exactly which was my first game. Malcolm Allison was the manager in his first spell during the 64/65 season. McClaren, Book, Newman, Neale, Nelson, Williams, Baird, Trebilcock, Jones, Lord, Jennings, Corbett amongst the first players I remember.
Vivid memory still is of Malcolm emerging from the dugout and stamping on his fur hat whenever a decision went against Argyle!:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: jerryatricjanner
Dec 24, 2012
Home to chelsea -in the league as well,score 2-2 or maybe 2-3 cant remember the score.mid 1970's

Mar 21, 2014
My dad took me in the 67/68 season. We sat in the Grandstand it rained all night we lost 2-1 and I loved it. My overiding memory is wanting to be in the devonport end thinking how good it would be if we won. I can’t remember the opposition.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Argyle 2 Rochdale 3, 11 October 1969, with thanks to GoS.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
1963 against Bury. Also watched reserve games against the likes of Spurs and West Ham getting autographs afterwards. Ah those were the days.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
What was your first Argyle Game?

Mine was the Game after the Tsunami in Japan against Chesterfield. We won 7-0 and Paul Stapleton came onto the pitch before the game to announce Argyle would match the gate receipts for the game to donate to the Disaster appeal.

Stood in the Mayflower freezing and had a sore throat at half time. I think we were 4/5 nil up.
Think time might have played a few tricks with your memory. The 7-0 v Chesterfield was in Jan 2004, whereas the Tsunami was boxing day that year.

Reactions: RB00194
Apr 30, 2006
2-2 draw at home to Brighton & Hove Albion, 13 Sep 1986. I was 11. My only remaining impression of the game (not solid enough to be a memory) is of Steve Penney the Brighton winger having a big mullet/afro/perm type hairstyle and he scored.

Aug 25, 2023
2nd Round FA Cup 1977-8

Argyle 1 Cambridge 0

Couldn’t believe how ‘real’ it looked being used to watching football on a grainy tiny TV screen

Mar 30, 2024
I think mine was Stoke City - Stanley Matthews was playing at the age of 49 or 50! I know we lost and the score of 0-2 seems familiar. I'm sure the experts will be able to provide the year and the accurate stats! I don't think the home and away supporters were segregated back then and I seem to remember being in the Barn Park end.