First Argyle Game | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

First Argyle Game

Jan 22, 2024
Had to goggle some of the details but certainly remember it. FA Cup 4th round 1962 aged 9. Records show there were over 40,000 in the ground. My dad and I got there a bit late so he was fine as he was over 6ft tall but all I could see was bottoms. Then got lifted up and handed down over the crowd to the front with all the other kids so had a great view. I know we lost and apparently I saw Jimmy Greaves, Danny Blanchflower and Dave Mackay amongst others. Didn’t go again until we moved to Plymouth permanently from Paignton in 1964 and got a season ticket for my 11th birthday.

John Squire

Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 28, 2008
Now retired to Uffculme near Willand!
Saturday 31st August 1957
Argyle v Aldershot Third Division (South)

My Dad took to my first Argyle match. I couldn’t go to the first home match of the season on the Monday because it was an evening game, and too late for a 12 year old.
I can’t really remember much about things about it, but one player to me stood out. He became my hero, Wilf Carter the goal machine! Argyle won 4-2 and he scored twice, and went on to notch over 30 that season.

I was well and truly hooked from then on!!

I shall be 80 later this year and still get the thrill, excitement, nervous tension and the like.

As long as I’m physically able to drive the 140 mile round trip, I’ll be there at Home Park when the Greens are home.

llcoolgee

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Mar 10, 2011
Melbourne
Vs Reading, NYD, 1988. 3-1 defeat. Michael Gilkes (I think) took the pi55 out of us.

Sep 25, 2003
Carbis Bay
Home vs Hull City, October 1987. We won 3-1 with goals from Mark Smith, Tommy Tynan and John Clayton.

We’d recently beaten Leeds 6-3 in the league and I’d begged my Dad to go a game. Thankfully no issues around tickets back then!

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
22.03.54. Friendly versus Blackpool to inaugurate Argyle's first post WW2 Floodlight lighting.
Score Argyle 4 Blackpool1. As a very small kid I was knocked out by the new lighting seeming to leech the colour green out of the grass turf. It must have been the poor lighting from oil lamps at home! This was Blackpool's famous 1953 Cup Winning Team with 7 International players against Argyle, in front of nearly 26,000. Blackpool were upstaged on the night by local find, Neil Langman as a striker, who had only graced Home Park for the first time ever, 5 weeks previously

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Absolutely no idea!
Dad started taking me in about 1961/62 ish I would have thought.
On the Spion Kop. Magical days, even if I don't remember the first opponents!

Mar 8, 2024
Walthamstow
This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLDf8F0lmXI

I'd considered myself an Argyle fan for a couple of years before I was allowed to go with a mate from my junior team and his dad. We were up in the top of the old grandstand and I still remember coming up the stairs and seeing HP and being amazed at how... big it was.

My dad's first game was the 1968 European Cup final at Wembley when Man Utd beat Benfica, which strikes me as a deeply unreasonable starting point for a bloke who's only seen about 5 live games in his life.

Feb 22, 2022
You've just gone and caused me great trauma! The thread prompted me to check out when exactly my Dad took his then young son to his (my) first footy match. It was Argyle at home to Watford under the floodlights and we won 3:2. Didn't we? NO!! All these years I thought my love of Argyle was inspired by a five goal thriller.

But on Tuesday 8th April 1969, we LOST 1:2 to Watford. I was 9 then, 64 now and that makes 55 years of metaphorically wearing green-tinted specs.

Another home defeat. Any friendly timelords out there to sort it?

Tappy1

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Sep 21, 2005
Plymouth
I don't remember my first Argyle game. I do recall crying in the hallway because my Dad wouldn't take me! I think my first game would have been 76/76 but I do vividly remember the Man U St Etienne game. I stood on the wall between Spion Kop/Demport End (Spion Kop side) clinging onto the fence and no I don't support United!

Jul 12, 2004
Having consulted GOS it was Wednesday August 30th 1961. My brother took me as it was a mid-week match (he worked on Saturdays) We beat Huddersfield 4-2 with goals from Wilf Carter, George Kirby, Peter Anderson and Adrian Thorne. As a 10 year old I went quite regularly, on my own, that season little believing that would be the most successful season (in terms of league placement) in my entire watching life.