First Argyle Game | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

First Argyle Game

Dec 21, 2021
and if my memory is right didnt we lose up there 6-4 a few days later or maybe a few days before

Sep 7, 2006
8th April 1995, a (rare, that season) 1-0 home win against Shrewsbury with Russell Osman in charge.

Jun 11, 2023
1985 Chris Harrison Testimonial v Chelsea
Followed by friendly against Luton and Southampton I believe
Then 1st cup game league cup v Exeter
Then 1st league game v Reading
Then every home game that season and what a season!

Stevie Wotsa

✅ Evergreen
Nov 4, 2012
Devonport
Macclesfield Town 22nd of September 2001
Complete off chance Walked into town with my then girlfriend. Seen some fans walking up Argyle by the train station and asked is there a match on said to my girlfriend at the time lets go and follow and we did enjoyed every moment
I soon fell in love with the club sat in the grandstand that day rolled a ciggy and the fan said you are not allowed to smoke lol
Never knew the rules back then newbie!
Then just carried on from there remember the Home game against Luton and my word i seen something special about the club the fans going at it when Evans got sent off.
That was it then someone injected me with some green blood.
Later took the courage to go to the first away game
Crystal Palace in the Worthington Cup. I was only young and wasn't used to it but the fans looked after me.
Always knew about Argyle back then my mum's dad was a season ticket holder and never took me shame really it would've got me hooked at a far younger age.
Funny thing is after all this time and so many games can only remember snippets lol that's probably the same for most of us mind.

• Love
Reactions: pafc jack
Jun 24, 2008
5 Oct 2002. Argyle 0-0 Northampton Town.

A family friend took me along by chance, aged 10, having never experienced a game before. A distant Liverpool fan prior. It was a beautiful sunny day and I was hooked despite the lack of goals. ST holder ever since.

Jul 16, 2023
Argyle 0 Millwall 0 in 1996, I think Savage missed a penalty against us in front of the Devonport. My Dad and I stood on the terrace in the Spion Kop that day. I can remember falling in love with Argyle as soon as I saw the pitch. My Dad also bought me a Rotolok shirt after the game which I wore with pride in front of my United supporting mates back in Cornwall. I also remember a protest against Dan Macauley at full time. Great memories 😊

Apr 27, 2019
First match was the Santos match, after that my grandad made me a wooden box to stand on so I could see over the hoardings, been hooked ever since and proudly took both my children to their first matches over the years. Sitting in the grandstand on a rare occasion for a match against Cambridge a few years ago my daughter was getting so excited and was shouting in an ear piercing voice that an elderly gent turned around and said "Bleedy ell maid if only those buggers played with your passion, we'd win everything" She still comes back with no voice each time she goes. Its in the blood now!

Reactions: CornishGreen 1886
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
I’m amazed so many people remember what their first game was. I was only about 7 and I really have no idea.
I remember mine perfectly as a 13 year old, despite it being nearly 60 years ago. I went by myself to see what my schoolmates were going on about. Stood on the corner terrace between the DE and the Mayflower. It was 11 October 1964, 1-0 win over Norwich City. Scorer was Mike Trebilcock.

Sep 24, 2018
27th of January 1962 Argyle 1 - Spurs 5.
FA cup round 4
I am, compared to others on here, a late starter in the Green Army. I just couldn’t see the appeal of Saturday afternoon football over hanging out at the coffee bar (El Sombrero). Then Argyle beat West Ham in the 3rd round and drew Spurs in round 4. The city was buzzing because Spurs were the glamour team on course for the double. I told my dad that I would go with him but only because I wanted to see the Spurs stars. Then kickoff came and I was hooked. It
was just like “Fever Pitch”. I was a fan from that moment and have remained so for the last 62 years. Interestingly we have never played Spurs since that game and I think that is the longest gap for any of the current PL teams. So this game was memorable for more than just being my first game.

Reactions: pafc jack
Apr 24, 2013
I cannot remember the correct date or the score but it was against Torquay in the late 1960s or early 70s. I think my next game was home to Bournemouth which I think we won.

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
My first was in the late 1940s in the 3rd Division South. Like others I do not remember the details of that match but not long after remember very well seeing that team confirming promotion to the Second Division in the home match drawing 2-2 against Torquay. Remember the team was Shortt Ratcliffe Jones Dougall Chisholm Porteous Astall Dews Tadman Rattray Govan. The names I recall easily compared with any team since in the following 70+ years!

Reactions: Raul 1