First Argyle Game | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

First Argyle Game

Sep 12, 2015
An
I cannot remember the correct date or the score but it was against Torquay in the late 1960s or early 70s. I think my next game was home to Bournemouth which I think we won.
any one remember bunking in ! Down near zoo corner 🦍 🫣

Sep 12, 2015
My first was in the late 1940s in the 3rd Division South. Like others I do not remember the details of that match but not long after remember very well seeing that team confirming promotion to the Second Division in the home match drawing 2-2 against Torquay. Remember the team was Shortt Ratcliffe Jones Dougall Chisholm Porteous Astall Dews Tadman Rattray Govan. The names I recall easily compared with any team since in the following 70+ years!
Was Wilf Carter around then as well ?

Sep 17, 2017
Not sure if it was my first but the first I remember was 1971 vs Villa. Argyle won 3-2 and I vividly remember Andy Lockhead accidentally landing on Jim Furnell‘s from a corner melee blood everywhere.

Jul 24, 2006
Budapest
Fa cup 3rd round vs Everton finished 1-1 (1989?) Took the lead through McCarthy (I think?! Memory not what it was) then they got the big team dodgy penalty to earn the draw....gutted...never forgotten won't forgive....but I was a small kid at the time 😂.

Stood in devonport with my dad and brother. Could hardly see a thing. There was no other club for me after that day.

Aug 24, 2014
Buckingham
Ironically, first game was Argyle v Stoke in the Watney Cup in August 1973 (aged 7). We lost 0-1 but I thought we had drawn 1-1. Turned what I thought was a goal was actually offside, but didn't clock it. Pretty sure Geoff Hurst played and maybe scored for them.

Edited - just found a video - Hurst scored from a header.. Cripes.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21T8fXInBhY

Stoke went on to beat Hull in the final. That was the last pre-season Watneys Cup. https://www.stevesfootballstats.uk/watney_cup_results.html

That was the only time we played Stoke in 22 years - just looked it up. 1964 was the previous game (won 3-1) and 1986 the next (lost 0-1).

Good history of Watney Cup which only ran for four seasons. https://worldfootballindex.com/2018/08/stoke-city-and-the-watney-cup/

1715353470437.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RB00194
Sep 15, 2010
Plympton
Argyle 1 Torquay 2, 20,000+ , 21st October 1968, I had only ever been to a friendly at Torquay v a West Ham XI. My football mad West Ham supporting Dad had passed six weeks before. He ever mentioned Plymouth Argyle to me, I have no idea why, maybe because he liked Torquay as his "second club". If he was here today he'd watch the Pilgrims....I know. From that game I never looked back!

Apr 9, 2024
Fa cup 3rd round vs Everton finished 1-1 (1989?) Took the lead through McCarthy (I think?! Memory not what it was) then they got the big team dodgy penalty to earn the draw....gutted...never forgotten won't forgive....but I was a small kid at the time 😂.

Stood in devonport with my dad and brother. Could hardly see a thing. There was no other club for me after that day.
That's right. Burrows handball. Sheedie pen? Never been so gutted. We nearly did it. Got stuffed 4-0 in the replay. There was 27000 in Home Park that day from memory!!! Wow.
Everton were a great side back then

Reactions: Timeout

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
and if my memory is right didnt we lose up there 6-4 a few days later or maybe a few days before
No, that was the following season. 26th December 1960 up there and a day later here, when the great Wilf Carter scored five of our six. Both teams left the Valley together and travelled on the same train to Totnes. They then stayed overnight at the Seymour hotel, owned by our then Chairman Ron Blindell. Both teams dined together. The next day they travelled to Plymouth together before producing that extraordinary result.