For the attention of AFT Members (merged) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

For the attention of AFT Members (merged)

May 16, 2016
Shankster":15mant8m said:
It’s like witnessing the aftermath of a bitter divorce

Or the start of a new one.

I'm not a Trust Member and to be honest, doubt if I ever will. The only time it's profile is raised and anyone's aware its still going is when Threads like this appear and people start writing their mam for Tat , I said, you said essays. To an outsider, it just looks like a load 'Yardarm Clearing'. Posting on here and mentioning it on other outlets, to anyone trying to get a balanced view, can look a bit like the personal spat it probably is.

I've no reasons to not believe that people get involved for good reasons and honourable intention, but what do the Trust do and are they really representative of us all ?

The fact thus Thread exists probably confirms what's been said here about what the point of the Trust actually is ?

The blokes at the back of Block 14 seem to have been more proactive in sorting out the issues that most worry about.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":3ly9seqg said:
I find this thread interesting for two reasons. Firstly, I was an AFT Board Member a few seasons ago and secondly (and far more importantly) this sort of thread keeps appearing every couple of months.

During my time with the AFT, I can hand on heart say that I believe those that were involved were so for the right reasons. Were mistakes made? Yes they were. But heck, I make mistakes at work and I get paid to do that!

With that being said however, I think the time has come for all Argyle fans to consider what the point of the Trust actually is. What are they there to do? At the moment, I don't think many get the point at all, and with the greatest amount of respect to those involved, I'm not sure many even know that the AFT are still around.

This mustn't be done at some meeting before or after a game either. Let's be frank no-one wants to attend. People would much rather be in the pubs, or on their way to or from a game with their friends and families. We live in a technology-rich age, with plenty of places where fans are talking about Argyle every single day. That's the place to engage with the fans.

In short, I think it's time to start again. There's no doubt that fan representation is important. A football club is unlike any other business, but we're in a changing world. Don't kid yourselves - those at the top of our game would much rather the punters paid and were silent. We're not going to be looked after by the corporate side of the game and whilst things are largely pretty good right now, that might not always be the case. To be ready for that potential though, the AFT really needs to go back to the drawing board and start with - what is the point?

A good post, I thought the O P was suggesting it needs a clean sweep and start again, I was a member from near the beginning when the AFT did a lot of good things but cancelled my membership a few months ago because it had lost its way particularly under the current chair. I will consider rejoining when/ if there is a positive change.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think Mike, after chatting in the car the other day, that you’re way more anti Trust than I am.

Going back to Tony again, you talk about me not liking differing opinions, Mike is the evidence of what a load of tosh that is.

I disagree with most of what Mike says but we’re still Argyle mates. That’s exactly how it should be. The problem is, the people you listen to repeat and repeat and repeat and in this strange netlogic they’ve adopted it becomes true!

The best idea I think is to put the AFT into suspended animation and drag it out when really needed.

Oct 16, 2016
These ‘group’ things are always interesting, my neighbours have a group who discuss our grounds maintenance and sea wall defence etc. devastatingly nauseous bell ends

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":sqx23uss said:
dazzy3000":sqx23uss said:
Andy_S":sqx23uss said:
I DO care about open accounting - if I'm investing my money into an entity like PAFC my whole life then I want to know what is happening with it.

"Investing"? Really? How often do you go to Argyle? Home games only...once a week?

So, if you go to the movies once a week, are you "investing" in Reel, or Vue? Do you want to know what's happening with the money you are paying them?

I go to Greggs every Tuesday for a sneaky pie. They’d better disclose all their accounts at once!

Are Greggs or Vue businesses that you would literally pick up a bucket and start collecting for if they were in threat of administration? Would yourself and the blokes in the hi-viz vests stood in front of you start attending town hall meetings to find any solution going other than the option of having to find your pies and pastries somewhere else?

It's a stupid point to try and imply Plymouth Argyle is a run of the mill entertainment business and nothing else.

Agreed, as a Season Ticket holder or White Membership you are ‘a valued member of the Club’.

Don’t recall Greggs being a club.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
There is a Greggs Club.

39222UNILAD-imageoptim-kfc2.jpg

I demand open accounts, I've had many a steak slice, so I'm fully invested.

Feb 28, 2016
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":t7dmund1 said:
I find this thread interesting for two reasons. Firstly, I was an AFT Board Member a few seasons ago and secondly (and far more importantly) this sort of thread keeps appearing every couple of months.

During my time with the AFT, I can hand on heart say that I believe those that were involved were so for the right reasons. Were mistakes made? Yes they were. But heck, I make mistakes at work and I get paid to do that!

With that being said however, I think the time has come for all Argyle fans to consider what the point of the Trust actually is. What are they there to do? At the moment, I don't think many get the point at all, and with the greatest amount of respect to those involved, I'm not sure many even know that the AFT are still around.

This mustn't be done at some meeting before or after a game either. Let's be frank no-one wants to attend. People would much rather be in the pubs, or on their way to or from a game with their friends and families. We live in a technology-rich age, with plenty of places where fans are talking about Argyle every single day. That's the place to engage with the fans.

In short, I think it's time to start again. There's no doubt that fan representation is important. A football club is unlike any other business, but we're in a changing world. Don't kid yourselves - those at the top of our game would much rather the punters paid and were silent. We're not going to be looked after by the corporate side of the game and whilst things are largely pretty good right now, that might not always be the case. To be ready for that potential though, the AFT really needs to go back to the drawing board and start with - what is the point?

The point surely, has to be positioning itself, to be able to take over the running of the club and sooner rather than later as a last resort. (No evidence I’ve seen to suggest that is even aim.)

Secondly to try and pressure change to improve the match day experience for fans. As a Trade Union Rep, I appreciate how hard positive change is to make. It’s particularly hard in this environment where they know, unlike an employer, loyalty will see punters coming forward with their money as they choose to be there in the first place and are extremely unlikely to stay away in numbers.

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

MarkMatthews":gwlama6t said:
The point surely, has to be positioning itself, to be able to take over the running of the club and sooner rather than later as a last resort. (No evidence I’ve seen to suggest that is even aim.)

Secondly to try and pressure change to improve the match day experience for fans. As a Trade Union Rep, I appreciate how hard positive change is to make. It’s particularly hard in this environment where they know, unlike an employer, loyalty will see punters coming forward with their money as they choose to be there in the first place and are extremely unlikely to stay away in numbers.

You see, I would look at it slightly differently. It is very difficult to engage people with 'poo might hit the fan'. Even as a club that has gone through all of that, people are beginning to forget. We're on a sound footing and I think the AFT will really struggle engaging people with what is essentially a negative message.

I think they'd have much greater success working on the match day experience as you say. Little but tangible wins for the fan base will give people a reason to engage with the AFT. It will give them a purpose that is easy to comprehend and translate to potential members. I.e. This is what we do...

Then, should things go bad, people can look at the AFT see a serious of wins and think here is a group with some level of competence.

Jul 18, 2011
MarkMatthews":dqsi7ljy said:
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":dqsi7ljy said:

In short, I think it's time to start again. There's no doubt that fan representation is important. A football club is unlike acny other business, but we're in a changing world. Don't kid yourselves - those at the top of our game would much rather the punters paid and were silent. We're not going to be looked after by the corporate side of the game and whilst things are largely pretty good right now, that might not always be the case. To be ready for that potential though, the AFT really needs to go back to the drawing board and start with - what is the point?

HahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHa!

The AFT couldn’t run a whelk stall.

May 8, 2011
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":3kls00y6 said:
MarkMatthews":3kls00y6 said:

You see, I would look at it slightly differently. It is very difficult to engage people with 'poo might hit the fan'. Even as a club that has gone through all of that, people are beginning to forget. We're on a sound footing and I think the AFT will really struggle engaging people with what is essentially a negative message.

I think they'd have much greater success working on the match day experience as you say. Little but tangible wins for the fan base will give people a reason to engage with the AFT. It will give them a purpose that is easy to comprehend and translate to potential members. I.e. This is what we do...

Then, should things go bad, people can look at the AFT see a serious of wins and think here is a group with some level of competence.

The Chief Executive will meet people on a 1-1 basis to discuss any issue, as I have done. Has any member of the Trust Board taken advantage of this opportunity about any pressing matters concerning fans and reported back?

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
Abbotts Ann Green":2shx9ppt said:
MarkMatthews":2shx9ppt said:
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":2shx9ppt said:

In short, I think it's time to start again. There's no doubt that fan representation is important. A football club is unlike acny other business, but we're in a changing world. Don't kid yourselves - those at the top of our game would much rather the punters paid and were silent. We're not going to be looked after by the corporate side of the game and whilst things are largely pretty good right now, that might not always be the case. To be ready for that potential though, the AFT really needs to go back to the drawing board and start with - what is the point?

HahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHa!

The AFT couldn’t run a whelk stall.

Why not volunteer to join the board and help turn a whelk stall into a supermarket? :facepalm: