Forward pass | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Forward pass

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I think that the assist figures indicate a lack of balance in our attacking options. It appears that, since RL has been here, far more assists come from the left side (McFadzean, G Cooper, Grant) than from the right.
We need to create ‘danger’ from both sides of the pitch.

Jan 30, 2016
I happen to think that Mayor is one of the best players Argyle have had since Carey. I just love how he sometimes leaves the opposition on their backsides. But I think we missed George Cooper -the season really went downhill since he was injured.I hope that he recovers well.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
AlanMS":ows42a0r said:
I happen to think that Mayor is one of the best players Argyle have had since Carey. I just love how he sometimes leaves the opposition on their backsides. But I think we missed George Cooper -the season really went downhill since he was injured.I hope that he recovers well.

Me too, to all of that.

Jul 12, 2016
AlanMS":27z5zh1i said:
Leaving the "opposition on their backsides" does not win games.
The occasional dribble to bamboozle the opposition does not make up for his underperforming.To be honest to say he is one of the best players since Carey isn't saying a lot.Look at successful first division sides and they don't have a one trick pony to rely on.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
oldage":1j93p7l7 said:
AlanMS":1j93p7l7 said:
Leaving the "opposition on their backsides" does not win games.
The occasional dribble to bamboozle the opposition does not make up for his underperforming.To be honest to say he is one of the best players since Carey isn't saying a lot.Look at successful first division sides and they don't have a one trick pony to rely on.

The last sentence is telling and is a criticism of the team, rather than just Mayor. We're so reliant on Mayor to dictate our attacking play, even if it doesn't show on the goals/assists column. He's integral to most of our attacks in some sense to the point we are over-reliant on him. When he plays well we tend to win.

I think we've really missed Antoni Sarcevic this season. The physical presence in midfield, the runs in behind, the late runs into the box, he provided a goal threat. I love Pan, but him, Fornah and Mayor has lacked physicality and failed to provide a goal threat as a midfield trio. I know Conor Grant has scored a few, but they're all long-range screamers, which is great, but we need a Sarcevic/Friio type who will provide a more regular threat from midfield. It says a lot that our second top scorer is our RWB.

Going further on the physicality point, last year we had Bakinson and Josh Grant in the spine of the team as well. Big units, strong, aggressive midfielders. We've really lacked that bite. Really needs addressing in the summer. It's a big part of why we lose control in games and struggle to get it back.