Funniest Argyle moment | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Funniest Argyle moment

At the very beginning of the 1960-61 season the two teams lined up to kick-off. But before he would signal the start the referee strode across to the home dugout and gave someone an ear bashing. On his way back he spoke to Peter Anderson who had lined up on the left. Peter started to walk to the other side and at the same time Bill Wright, who had lined up on the right, started to come the other way. I saw it happen but thought no more of it. Then, in 2008 I started some deep research into that era. I came across a piece in a Sunday Independent which referred to the referee's actions prior to kick-off on the opening day. It reported that the referee had told our manager, Jack Rowley, that our number 7 (Anderson) and our 11 (Wright) had not lined up in their correct positions. Rowley tried to explain it was a tactical thing but Mr Kingston would have none of it. It was a trick Argyle tried very often in games but obviously only after they had kicked-off.
Funnily enough MM I read only a few weeks ago of an Arsenal match in the 50s that was delayed because an outside right in the visiting side had the wrong number on his back for that position. I’d never previously known that such a rule had existed. The same article referred to an experiment on a radio broadcast, also from Arsenal, where the pitch was divided into a series of grids, printed in the Radio Times for guidance. The clipped voice of the match commentator would then say ‘Jenkins in G7 has passed to Robinson in H4, who is is dribbling into J7’. Interesting times.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
Away Cheltenham,26th December 2022,I booked tickets from over here,because I didn’t got away tickets from Argyle.
So I booked the home area,just by side from the away supporters.
Me and my son sat just separated from a red and white ribbon to the Green Army.
One Guard came and stands close behind us,and says: nothing will happen,I am here and take care of you two. 👍
Then i opened my jacket and showed him my Argyle shirt…
Very funny that.😅
Was that the match when Johnny was in the poo! Announcement for an Argyle fan called John (something) to make himself known to a steward, your wife is not very happy. Turns out she had gone shoppping, he had come to the match, the weather was inclement, and he had the car keys still in his pocket. She had to walk all the way from town to the ground to get the keys from him. Both sets of fans burst into a chorus of “Johnny’s in the poo”.

Bovey Green lady

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
At the very beginning of the 1960-61 season the two teams lined up to kick-off. But before he would signal the start the referee strode across to the home dugout and gave someone an ear bashing. On his way back he spoke to Peter Anderson who had lined up on the left. Peter started to walk to the other side and at the same time Bill Wright, who had lined up on the right, started to come the other way. I saw it happen but thought no more of it. Then, in 2008 I started some deep research into that era. I came across a piece in a Sunday Independent which referred to the referee's actions prior to kick-off on the opening day. It reported that the referee had told our manager, Jack Rowley, that our number 7 (Anderson) and our 11 (Wright) had not lined up in their correct positions. Rowley tried to explain it was a tactical thing but Mr Kingston would have none of it. It was a trick Argyle tried very often in games but obviously only after they had kicked-off.
And most frequently with Harry Penk on the opposite wing from Peter Anderson.

Reactions: deathadder
Sep 24, 2018
Brentford in 94. We lost 7 1. There were two funny moments. The first when we started chanting “we want 6” after the 5th goal in the 56th minute. This was topped after the 7th by the Green Army singing “Shilton Shilton give us wave” then when he leant forward and raised his arm we sang “Bye Bye Shilton Bye Bye”. This gallows humour helped me get over the worst defeat that I have ever seen.

Pastie Pete‘64

🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪
Aug 22, 2022
Saarland,Germany
Was that the match when Johnny was in the poo! Announcement for an Argyle fan called John (something) to make himself known to a steward, your wife is not very happy. Turns out she had gone shoppping, he had come to the match, the weather was inclement, and he had the car keys still in his pocket. She had to walk all the way from town to the ground to get the keys from him. Both sets of fans burst into a chorus of “Johnny’s in the poo”.
Don’t think it been this match, because the weather was great for December.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Brentford in 94. We lost 7 1. There were two funny moments. The first when we started chanting “we want 6” after the 5th goal in the 56th minute. This was topped after the 7th by the Green Army singing “Shilton Shilton give us wave” then when he leant forward and raised his arm we sang “Bye Bye Shilton Bye Bye”. This gallows humour helped me get over the worst defeat that I have ever seen.

Who scored our 'goal' David? ;)

Aug 26, 2008
Guernsey
90 mins of the "who the f is Edgar Davids" Jason Bent chant at Underhill when Davids was playing for Barnet and Bent hadn't played for us in years!
I remember that!

Keeping on the Jason Bent theme, I recall a game where, for the vast majority of it, we sang 'He's got a Pineapple on his head'. I can't for the life of me remember who the player was it was directed at

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
GC10 bamboozling skill against a Pompey player near the corner flag
If that occurred in the PL - the video clip of it would be on permanent loop
Never ever seen that done by anyone else.
Still confuses me what he actually did.......a mouth open fly catching moment for sure.

Reactions: foreigner
Apr 9, 2024
Without a doubt, the unmistakable chant of 'We love YOUUUU Argyle, we DOOOO' from dear old Noddy. RIP. Can't remember one away game where I didn't see him, with his little plastic bag, booming undying support for the boys. Never ever saw him at home though, where did he sit/stand?? I was Mayflower standing.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023
Dominic Naylor sprinting into space on the left - as the ball was about to be played the shout rang out ”Give it to Zico!”

Dec 9, 2012
To quote Bill Shankly, he had twisted blood 😂😂
Talking of Bill Shankly - and it's not directly Argyle, but very funny.

I went to college in Liverpool and while I was there Bill Shankly shocked the city by resigning. His testimonial game attracted a full house at Anfield and was preceded by, amongst other things, a brass band playing as they marched up and down the pitch.

The match - a Liverpool eleven v well known players of the time - was a tepid rather anodyne affair. Boring is not a strong enough word to describe it.

After about fifteen minute, as one, The Kop started a chant of '

''We want the band back!''

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
I remember that!

Keeping on the Jason Bent theme, I recall a game where, for the vast majority of it, we sang 'He's got a Pineapple on his head'. I can't for the life of me remember who the player was it was directed at
Jason Lee

Aug 25, 2023
I can still remember, some 40 years later, a Tannoy announcement during a boring game calling for the owner of a certain registration number to return to his car immediately as it was leaking petrol.

Immediately someone in the Mayflower shouted out: "At least it's doing something, more than Argyle!".

My son and I still laugh at this quick-witted response.