Galloway and Miller not involved? | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Galloway and Miller not involved?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
It's one thing playing your heart out against Leicester, a team headed for the Premier maybe. Quite another to try your hardest against the team where you may be heading next season and embrolied in the same relegation scrap as yourselves. Selection on Saturday will be interesting and may be revealing.

The other thing to consider is that some of these rumours appeared towards the end of the Foster era, who knows what contracts were being offered then and/or whether things have changed. I would have thought a few players were being made alternative offers based on staying up or going down.

Jan 6, 2004
I know Miller is not everyone's cup of tea but I think there is a far better player waiting to come out- he has the raw ability and does the hard bit of making the right runs and getting around his man seemingly with ease, he just needs to be coached to make better decisions in the final third of the pitch.

Feb 8, 2005
I think it is important to remember that we have a bottom of the league budget. This means that our player wage budget will not be as high as the majority of the clubs that we are competing with.

That means that any club wishing to persuade any of our players to join them would not have to push the boat out too far to persuade them. Those out of contract would be easy to persuade to join them. Whether those under contract would go depend on how much Argyle are willing to sell for.

Therefore Argyle will have to sit down and plan for contract negotiations before contracts come to an end, and the only way to ensure players don't leave is to ensure that they are paid a reasonable wage for this division, so gradual increase in wages will be the norm until we match the average pay for the division. Even then there will be the bigger clubs that would offer far above the average wage to get the players that they wanted.

We must get used to losing our best players, especially when still under contract, as that is our way. Buy cheap, improve, and sell high, in order to achieve our ambitions of being a sustainable Championship club.

The best way we can do that is to bring to Argyle the best of the rest in the lower leagues. Those whose wages we can increase in order to persuade them to come, so don't expect large transfer fees (for us) paid for by the increase in tv money, but the general increase in wages is far more important to hold onto what we have and to persuade lower league players to join us.

Looking abroad should not be ruled out, but we need a good eye to winkle out those players with the ability to perform in the Championship, as we have only now, this season, found out how difficult the league is..

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I know Miller is not everyone's cup of tea but I think there is a far better player waiting to come out- he has the raw ability and does the hard bit of making the right runs and getting around his man seemingly with ease, he just needs to be coached to make better decisions in the final third of the pitch.

I donā€™t agree. Heā€™s 28. If he was going to learn to make good decisions, heā€™d have done it by now. Heā€™s a first team player in his peak years. Iā€™m not convinced heā€™s got much more to offer than what he already does.

Jan 6, 2004
I donā€™t agree. Heā€™s 28. If he was going to learn to make good decisions, heā€™d have done it by now. Heā€™s a first team player in his peak years. Iā€™m not convinced heā€™s got much more to offer than what he already does.
Perhaps he is a player playing at the wrong time. He has the skill set of a classic 20th century winger, beats his man, gets to the goal line and whips a cross into the mixer. Unfortunately for him, that is not really how the game is played any more

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Perhaps he is a player playing at the wrong time. He has the skill set of a classic 20th century winger, beats his man, gets to the goal line and whips a cross into the mixer. Unfortunately for him, that is not really how the game is played any more

Unfortunately for him none of his crosses ever go to anyone wearing a green shirt either, which is mostly what my issue with him is.

Cdp

Oct 18, 2014
Wrexham
I wonder if it may be to late to coach him. I like him as a squad player.

Jan 6, 2004
Unfortunately for him none of his crosses ever go to anyone wearing a green shirt either, which is mostly what my issue with him is.
That is sort of true, but players dont train to get on the end of crosses like they used to, particularly with their heads.

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
This is mainly because we don't get enough bodies in the box, so the odds of an Argyle player getting on the end of a cross from Miller are not very high unless it's late on and we're chasing the game and pushing players forward.

We only have one out and out forward, 2 No. 10s who play very wide and central midfielders who rarely get beyond the Subuteo pitch offside line, let alone get in the box.

No wonder Miller gets so few assists.

Reactions: Moorlander
Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
This is mainly because we don't get enough bodies in the box, so the odds of an Argyle player getting on the end of a cross from Miller are not very high unless it's late on and we're chasing the game and pushing players forward.

We only have one out and out forward, 2 No. 10s who play very wide and central midfielders who rarely get beyond the Subuteo pitch offside line, let alone get in the box.

Although I agree we need more runners into the box, the issue is that even when we do, Miller doesnā€™t look and just smashes it across the face of goal, when often there are players on the cut back who he should look up and aim for. He can cross a football very well, no doubt, but crossing it where you want the man to be rather to where the man is, is not going to reap rewards.

Reactions: Lancastergreen
Sep 6, 2006

Correct. And can you think of anyone who would be likely to get on the end of a cross with a decent header anyway?

Jul 12, 2016
That's a very toxic mentality. He has been excellent for us every time he has played for us, he's played his part in getting us to the Championship, and if we stay up he'll have played a very big role in helping us stay here. He owes us nothing.
He has been well paid during his recuperation and had a contract extension to get him back to full fitness. Nothing to do with his playing ability. I agree he has been excellent when fit. You are missing the point (deliberately) IMO he has a moral duty not to leave us but only an opinion.It is you who is toxic reading your posts.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
He has been well paid during his recuperation and had a contract extension to get him back to full fitness. Nothing to do with his playing ability. I agree he has been excellent when fit. You are missing the point (deliberately) IMO he has a moral duty not to leave us but only an opinion.It is you who is toxic reading your posts.
What are you basing that on? I can only assume it's on me having wanted Foster out. And if you've listened to anything that anyone who had any connection to the club has said about Foster's time at the club you'll see that I was justified in everything that I was saying, while you were backing a man that was ripping a hole in our club. As for Galloway having a moral duty to stay...we haven't done anything that any other football club wouldn't have done.

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: ShellB85 and oldage