George Baker RIP | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

George Baker RIP

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
George Baker, the regular centre forward in the 1958-59 Argyle promotion team, has died. He was 88 and had been ill for some months. Taken in isolation, his 83 games and 17 goals in the first team do not tell the full story of his contribution at Home Park and to Welsh football.

After his debut on 23 October 1954, his only appearance that season, he went on to play 17 games over the next two seasons. Like many of his generation, his availability was hampered for two seasons because he had been called up for National Service. It was also a difficult period for the club. In deep financial trouble, in 1955-56 they were relegated from the Second Division and the 1956-57 season had been the club's worst ever.

But on Christmas Day, 1957, manager Jack Rowley sprang a surprise and picked him in a deep-lying centre forward role at Newport. Back in his native South Wales with his family watching from the sidelines, he scored in a 2-0 victory. Importantly, it brought together a forward line of Anderson, Carter, Baker, Gauld and Penk. For the rest of the 1957-58 season and throughout the following season, if those five were fit, they played. He played in 32 of the 46 games in the promotion season.

He struggled with a knee injury and in the summer of 1960, after 83 first team outings and 17 goals, he left for Shrewsbury, where he made another 65 appearances, scoring five times. It was a novel transfer, inasmuch that Argyle manager Jack Rowley sold Baker to his brother Arthur. At both Argyle and Shrewsbury, supporters did not always understand his deep-lying role. But if you read the match reports from Spectator and Pilgrim, the Argyle reporters at the Independent and the Herald, one phrase appears very frequently - 'scored from a pass by Baker'.
The picture below shows him scoring at Saltergate in the promotion season.

Although from South Wales, Wrexham is writ large across George's life. On the morning of 22 November 1958, George married his childhood sweetheart, Moira Bromley, at the pld Register Office above North Road station. That afternoon he turned out for Argyle in a home game - against Wrexham. The knee injury that would eventually end George's Football League career came in the return game at Wrexham on 11 April 1959, nearly a year after the highpoint of his football career.

On 23 April 1958 he was picked for the first ever Welsh under 23 game. It was against England and George helped the Welsh to a shock 2-1 victory at Wrexham. England had never lost a game in UK at under 23 level and they had fielded a powerful side. What an apt day to see St George slain by the dragon, with the Welsh under 23 side running out 2-1 winners. And this was no pushover, cobbled together Young England side. For a start, two of the most prolific scorers the game has ever known, Brian Clough and Jimmy Greaves, led the attack and both full back Don Howe and winger Alan A’Court went on to play in the senior side at the World Cup in Sweden. Alan Hodgkinson and Maurice Setters were also named in the final 22 to travel to Sweden. This fixture remains the only time Wales has beaten England at either under 23 or under 21 level.

So far, so good for George. But his luck was about to change. He was overjoyed and proud to be named in the Wales senior squad selected to travel to Stockholm for the 1958 World Cup, a competition where all of the Home Nations qualified. He had to rush to get a passport but come the day of the races he, and three of his colleagues, were in for a severe shock. They reported to Cardiff airport, only to be told that their places on the plane had been taken by the wives of four Welsh FA Officials. The players were told they were on stand-by and that they must keep themselves fit in case they were called in to cover injuries. (As it happens Hodgkinson and Setters were also left at home by England)

It is always a sad occasion when a former player passes away but in this particular case I had been in regular touch with George for some 15 years. And if you were friends with George a friendship with Moira, his daughter Lyn and granddaughters Jenna and Kelly was part of the deal. I am glad they were all with him yesterday as those five were as good a unit as Anderson, Carter, Baker, Gauld and Penk were.

01 Nov 58 Saltergate.jpg

438173439_10220768699647370_6335781443002242178_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Mallett

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 16, 2003
Tadley, Hampshire.
RIP Pilgrim

Jun 22, 2005
I love reading/learning about the players from before my time. Sadly its usually after one of them passes away.
If anyone wrote pieces about previous players from years ago I'd love to read about them. I know there's GoS but I think on here there would be many posters who would be interested, from my age to ones who maybe watched them play and the younger fans too.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I am sorry to read of George Baker's passing through the departure lounge of life. I know Memory Man referred to his decendents being a tight unit, like the front five that sported Argyle's colours in George's time, and I know what he is trying to say. Some of us are unfortunately old enough in the tooth to remember that Jimmy Gauld went on to disgrace himself by being involved in match fixing and was banned by the then F A, although not in his Argyle playing days. I am sure Messrs Anderson, Carter, George Baker and Penk would not have like liked / like to be associated with such a 'naughty' individual despite his skill level. R I P George in that Welsh Valley

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I am sorry to read of George Baker's passing through the departure lounge of life. I know Memory Man referred to his decendents being a tight unit, like the front five that sported Argyle's colours in George's time, and I know what he is trying to say. Some of us are unfortunately old enough in the tooth to remember that Jimmy Gauld went on to disgrace himself by being involved in match fixing and was banned by the then F A, although not in his Argyle playing days. I am sure Messrs Anderson, Carter, George Baker and Penk would not have like liked / like to be associated with such a 'naughty' individual despite his skill level. R I P George in that Welsh Valley
You make a good point I had not considered but I was indeed talking about then in the football sense back then and now in the family sense. I have had long with four of the five, the exception being Jimmy Gauld who had passed away a year before I started my research. From 2008 I formed really good friendships with George and his family, and Harry and his family. I remain in touch with Barbara Penk and will do the same with Moira Baker. I frequently spoke to Peter Anderson to check on minor details but we were not as close as I am to the others. Wilf Carter's son, Cleeve, is a good friend and we speak quite regularly.
Wilf Carter was the first I asked about Gauld and I was surprised they were not, away from the field, the deadly-duo I had imagined. Wilf found Gauld's dives for penalties - a real part of Argyle folklore - "cheating and tiresome". Despite Wilf being the beneficiary from the penalties Gauld did win, he felt that Argyle would have scored more if Gauld had stayed on his feet and not constantly interrupted the passage of play. He would not comment on what happened to Gauld eventually. Harry Penk and Peter Anderson, with Reg Wyatt and John Cardiff Williams, were the tightest group of all and stayed friends for the rest of their respective lives. When I spoke to Peter Anderson about Gauld and how things turned out, he was reluctant to comment. "Jimmy was Jimmy and was a bit of a loner. We were told never to lend him money and not to follow his gambling tips. He had no real friends off the field but on it, he certainly put a few quid in our pockets in terms of win-bonuses." Harry Penk was similar. Harry was just a happy man out to enjoy life and take things as they came. He talked about sport but he didn't have many opinions about much else - it was hard to get him talking about himself and I never ever heard him pass judgement on anyone.
Dear old George was very easy to talk to and had a prodigious memory about all manner of things. Again, off the field he did not have a lot to do with Jimmy Gauld socially and he also told me that Gauld had few friends. "But he was a player all right and he was a big part of our success." Some years later he likened it to "Them two at United, Cole and Sheringham. They wasn't friends but good together on the field". I got the impression they were all pretty shocked when the scandal broke.
One of the best statements I have ever read about the Gauld situation came from an article in the Swindon programme of 23 October 1999. It was from their club historian, Dick Mattick, a man I got to know well in my research about Gauld (and about Ellis Stuttard's time there as assistant manager). Mattick wrote: "I prefer to remember the shock of blond hair above a sweat-stained shirt weaving through the opposition defence. The man who ws willing to give a youngster an autograph with a cheery smile and a friendly word. Sometimes it is as well that we do not know the future."
We started this about it being a tight-unit. The attached photograph, given to me by Barbara Penk, shows from left to right: George Baker, Jimmy Gauld, Lisettes L'Avedon (Gauld's French wife who taught at DHS for Girls), Harry Penk and Barbara Penk. It is thought that the older man at the back is Lisetts father. It was taken either just before or just after Jimmy Gauld's wedding. It is one of few examples of Gauld in any social group.

Attachments

• George , Jimmy and Harry.JPG
    George , Jimmy and Harry.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
I remember that ‘front five’ well including Gauld’s dazzling runs (and dives!) That front five of course came not long after another memorable front five in the form of Astall, Dews, Tadman, Rattray and Govan. Interesting how the earliest memories are the best - and where have all the front five’s gone?!

• Love
Reactions: memory man