GK situation. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

GK situation.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Letheren was released by a Conference club prior to us signing him. When he initially got the call due to our critical GK situation, he pleasantly surprised most fans with his first few displays. The latter mini-spell he had though showed why his career has been far from Golden. He’s probably the worst kicker of a ball we’ve had between the sticks in donkeys years.

No way on earth will he be number 1 if he signs. And I’d like to think Cooper would have a decent chance of being back up to a new first choice keeper.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Letheren is a decent back up, but if we have serious aspirations of getting to the Championship, we need a new number one....and I'm sure DA already has one lined up.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Letheren's first spell was ok and exceeded expectations but TBH his appearances at the end of the season were shocking.
He was carrying so much timber he was not mobile and his kicking was terrible

Apr 15, 2016
Whoever it is, I don't think it'll be Matthews.

My mate who's a Norwich fan says they're resigned to losing Gunn in the summer, and Matthews is their No 1 next season. Based on what he's done for us.

Let's hope we can find a similar young keeper for next season - Adams has got us some great loan signings recently

Oct 14, 2015
I've no idea about this just conjecture but is Luke fit enough to continue playing at EFL standard? I know he suffered a serious injury last season and maybe his injury means he needs to lower his standard at which he plays. I'm surprised another League 1/2 haven't made enquirers about his availability or maybe they have. Like all keepers he has the occasional drop in form but still think he could a job somewhere. I'd imagine some clubs wouldn't want him due to his past...

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Just going to put this bluntly, if we intend to use Letheren as our first choice keeper next season (which I doubt is the case), that's a step back back and not really a statement of intent. Letheren is a good stand in, I feel like he's competent in most aspects of goalkeeping but doesn't real excel in any.

We need to be signing a new, first choice keeper, either on loan or permanently and letting Letheren/Cooper compete for 2nd spot.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
I'd imagine some clubs wouldn't want him due to his past...

Unfortunately that is true. If people just look at it as "he murdered them" without knowing the full facts they may not want to take a punt on him.

Cobi Budge":1lh7biv6 said:
Jonathan Bond has been released by Reading (Peterborough's keeper last season) and would be a good shout, trying to get Kelle Roos back would be another.

:thumbs:

I remember him playing against us in about 2011 I think. He was Outstanding, but that was 7 years ago I have no idea how good he has been recently.
Roos would be a good shout too, not much of an upgrade on Kyle Letheren though in my opinion.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Jonathan Bond has been released by Reading (Peterborough's keeper last season) and would be a good shout, trying to get Kelle Roos back would be another.

A

ArgyleGarg0yle

I remember Martin O'Neill saying that if Danny Rogers could get games, he'd be in and around the Ireland team. So, I'm not sure on his circumstances up at Aberdeen, but, come on down, play games, hit form, be an international 'keeper. Sounds simple on paper.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Knibbsworth":ggc8i0jy said:
PilgrimZ1R":ggc8i0jy said:
rsp4":ggc8i0jy said:
r4h4al":ggc8i0jy said:
Penmaster":ggc8i0jy said:
I see absolutely no sense in releasing Luke to then have Letheran as out number one, that would be a definite backward step.

Kind of agree. I don't really understand why Luke left.

He left because he didnt want to sign a contract for what was on offer.

And he’s not as good as Letheren, the fact that DA has offered Letheren a contract is proof.

The only thing it is proof of is Letheren is value for money where Luke was confident of getting better offers elsewhere.

To put it bluntly, Letheren is cheap. Luke had the option to stay on small wages, but preferred to stay market value and move house.

The whole situation is more complicated than Letheren being better than Luke because he'll be here next season. Mike Cooper will be too.
Where were their respective offers published? In my experience it is most unusual for what the club offers a player to be released into the public domain. I really thought until now that Luke was not part of the decision to release him. But I have to admit your post certainly sounds really well-informed. If you have you directly discussed the "stay market value and move house" with Luke I apologise in advance for being sceptical.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
rsp4":1o8a65w3 said:
r4h4al":1o8a65w3 said:
Penmaster":1o8a65w3 said:
I see absolutely no sense in releasing Luke to then have Letheran as out number one, that would be a definite backward step.

He wasn't offered a contract.

May 4, 2018
Keepitgreen":3iuajrsf said:
rsp4":3iuajrsf said:
r4h4al":3iuajrsf said:
Penmaster":3iuajrsf said:

I seem to remember from the Luke interview https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2018/april/thank-you-luke/
That he had known since Jan he was leaving Argyle, but he wasn’t ready to “hang his boots up yet “.
DA also knew Kyle would be out of contract at the end of the season but still let Luke go.
Guessing DA has plans for a new no1 goal keeper who was right for the teams ambitions in L1/ promotion.
Will we see Roos or Matthews back?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Keepitgreen":qkngxmja said:
rsp4":qkngxmja said:
r4h4al":qkngxmja said:
Penmaster":qkngxmja said:

That is what I thought until I read the post above which says with an air of authority that "Luke had the option to stay on small wages.......".