Hallett: “We've made mistakes” | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Hallett: “We've made mistakes”

Feb 10, 2024
Hindsight is a wonderful thing......but how many times has a Div One team won the title with over a 100pts.

It would have been easy to think that such a team would in the Championship been able to avoid the drop area at least.

Four reasons to consider why it has been a tough season.

1.....The dependence on loan players....with no bottomless pit of cash... loan players can bring quality in... that we cannot afford to buy ourselves.....so when vital loan players where recalled it left an unfillable gap in our team.
The loss of Finn Azaz was one such player....and to a lesser degree Luke Cundle.

2.....The failure over two transfer windows to bring in quality proven goal scorers to cover for our main two goal getters.....this was a terrible omission.....and I assume money was the problem why we failed in that area.

3.....The failure of Bali Mumba this season to kick on from a successful season before.....A one million pound asset that didn't live up to expectations in the Championship was disappointing....and at times he became a luxury we couldn't afford....and he was picked continually with us hoping that next time he would produce the goods....one memorable goal he scored was when he deflected the ball into his own net with Cooper ready to take take it.

4.....Reason 2 above... meant that Hardie and Whittaker played far to many minutes and quite often the full ninety minutes plus... too often.....Whittaker's success meant he was marked out as the man to stop....and in the end his sharpness was blunted by over playing.
Hardie I felt for... as the season progressed...worked his socks off...and in the end was literally burnt out....but he kept going.
So a lack of service from an understrength mid-field that had lost its shining gem....Finn Azaz... meant they where starved of a good supply of chances.

For a club that supposedly had the second lowest budget...we've done well....and Schumacher's actions plus Foster and the lose of loan players at such a critical time was the equivalent of a kick in the nether regions.

A win today will put it all in the past....lets hope Norwich do the business at Birmingham today...because I see that as our best chance of staying up.
Wise words and let’s hope we play as well as Princerock did when I was a kid today 😂

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I don't mind it. You don't want the guy holding the nuke codes to jerk his knee every time there's a bit of pressure.

I think the point being made is that something may be the right thing to do, but he was implying that fans baying for blood makes him less likely to make that decision to be a ‘contrarian’.

I suspect he may be being a tad mischievous in saying that, otherwise it would be the opposite of rational data-driven decision making.

Mar 21, 2013
Talk about reading something & twisting it enough to suit an agenda. There’s also a massive hint of “I was right, you were wrong, na na na na na” arrogant, hindsight going on with some posters. But hey as long as it makes you feel warm & smug at night go fill your boots.

• Haha
Reactions: Lancastergreen
Apr 15, 2024
Sadly a few "fans" will put the boot in at every opportunity 😒

Not everyone are happy clappers come what may
Shuey and Hallett made a huge mistake last close season as per my slightly earlier post
That mistake could come back to haunt us over the next 3 hours at which point I may be slightly more vocal over it later being polite as always

Jul 24, 2009
We all make mistakes, Wednesday made mistakes this season as did Argyle, as did Birmingham. The main thing is we learn for next season which I think SH will. And we will be back in the Championship to see if we can learn and do better than this season

Reactions: Green Matt
Jul 24, 2009
I think the point being made is that something may be the right thing to do, but he was implying that fans baying for blood makes him less likely to make that decision to be a ‘contrarian’.

I suspect he may be being a tad mischievous in saying that, otherwise it would be the opposite of rational data-driven decision making.
I agree, I am not actually sure he did delay the decision for that reason, he made a judgement on when the right moment was between hoping Foster would improve things and accepting he would't. I think his linked point was for future reference fans shouldn't scream abuse as they won't find it gets them the decision they want and he was using his investment background to illustrate it