Here we go, Smith, Sturrock, Williamson or Adams | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Here we go, Smith, Sturrock, Williamson or Adams

Jan 6, 2004
In my view the managers who produced the best teams in my era are none of the above (although Adams now coming close) but Shilton and Holloway.

PutneyPete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ PASALB Member
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
Looking up their record in the Argyle 'bible' - that is Greens on Screen database ...

http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/gosdb-m ... l=0&venue=

League form only (ignoring all Cup results)

Derek Adams
Plymouth 11 Jun, 2015 to Present(21st Feb 2018)
League to date
Played 129 Won 65 Drawn 27 Lost 37 Win% 50.4% Drawn 20.9% Lost 28.7% Win + Draw percentage 71.3%

Paul Sturrock Mark 1
From 31 Oct 2000 to 4 Mar 2004
Played 157 Won 79 Drawn 42 Lost 36 Win% 50.3 Drawn 26.8 Lost 22.9 Win + Draw percentage 77.1

Both brilliant - little between them. I would have them joint 1st.

Enjoy Derek Adams' winning teams, whilst he is still here :scarf:

PS.
Looking at their Average Goals per game, up to the present, it appears that Paul Sturrock Mark 1 had a better scoring team and a better defence :

Derek Adams
Average Goals per game For 1.46 Goals Against 1.07

Paul Sturrock Mark 1
Average Goals per game For 1.54 Goals Against 0.95

Aug 11, 2013
I might have put Warnock in ahead of Williamson.

On another note I think that Adams must rank after Smith and Sturrock who both got us out of this league which is a huge achievement.

Jan 6, 2004
Kentishgreen":xt74f4do said:
Bit difficult having seen all four. Obviously Sturrock has to be no 1 having been one of our most successful managers ever. Also had the pleasure of meeting him on holiday recently.
Williamson is obviously 4th being one of our most inept managers ever.

I think Williamson takes unfair stick, he kept us up with one of the smallest budgets in the division in our first season in the Championship and he made some decent signings . He was actually a better manager than Luggy at that level imo. Luggy has a lot to answer for in making some terrible expensive signings when he came back for his second spell that contributed to our downward spiral.

Jan 12, 2011
Exiled in Cornwall
Mark Pedlar":2yijm8rn said:
I'll rank Adams when he goes. Until then it's a work in progress.

This..... All the others had a full term. Lets see how far Adams can go be fore we judge him.

For those putting Sturrock above Smith remember Sturrock only got us promoted from the 4th tier, Smith got us promoted from the 3rd tier. Adams, who knows how far he can take us.

Aug 5, 2015
Like Taribo West for instance. Pure genius. Whilst Sturrock 2 was not as successful he was being egged on by an over ambitious board

Oct 24, 2010
Smith has to be first as we finished seventh in the old second division in 1987 which is, I believe, the closest we have come apart from a season in the sixties to the top tier. Sturrock mark 2 was a disaster and has to take some of the blame for our financial problems so would be bottom so for me:

1. Smith
2. Sturrock mark 1
3. Adams
3. Williamson
4. Sturrock mark 2

A word for Williamson. He had a decent season in the Championship with the problem of replacing a number of the promoted team who weren't up to Championship standard and his sacking for me was one of the biggest surprises in my time supporting Argyle.

Obviously Adams is a work in progress and hopefully he will in time rise to the top of the standings.

Jan 27, 2012
Smith was a very good manager, as well as being fantastic character. An Argyle legend.

I've put Sturrock as No 1 because I think the man is a bit of a football genius.

But you could make an equal case for Dave Smith- his achievements were at a higher level and he nearly took Argyle into the top flight. He signed some classic players.

Adams is doing well so far- but he can't yet rank above Sturrock and Smith.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
gaspargomez":1yivqtcg said:
Smith was a very good manager, as well as being fantastic character. An Argyle legend.

I've put Sturrock as No 1 because I think the man is a bit of a football genius.

But you could make an equal case for Dave Smith- his achievements were at a higher level and he nearly took Argyle into the top flight. He signed some classic players.

Adams is doing well so far- but he can't yet rank above Sturrock and Smith.

My thoughts too.

Oct 6, 2005
Winchester
esmer":3qahzohm said:
Smith has to be first as we finished seventh in the old second division in 1987 which is, I believe, the closest we have come apart from a season in the sixties to the top tier. Sturrock mark 2 was a disaster and has to take some of the blame for our financial problems so would be bottom so for me:

1. Smith
2. Sturrock mark 1
3. Adams
3. Williamson
4. Sturrock mark 2

A word for Williamson. He had a decent season in the Championship with the problem of replacing a number of the promoted team who weren't up to Championship standard and his sacking for me was one of the biggest surprises in my time supporting Argyle.

Obviously Adams is a work in progress and hopefully he will in time rise to the top of the standings.

All conjecture but if we wouldn't have moved Sturrock upstairs for a director's niavety in trying to relive his childhood (and at the same time permanently casting a shadow over a real legend) by getting Mariner in we would have stood a better chance I believe. As for Sturrock taking the blame for financial problems? He didn't hold the purse strings and many of the proper rubbish we signed (Cooper, Johnson) on huge money was not down to him.

As for Williamson's 1st season, I seem to remember after a decent start following on from the previous season I recall us struggling until he changed tactics back to a 442 and put Friio back in the team. Pulis came in the next season, cleared out the deadwood and made some brilliant, solid signings and thankfully kept us up.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
Kevin_Dacombe":21yt36po said:
esmer":21yt36po said:

1. Smith
2. Sturrock mark 1
3. Adams
3. Williamson
4. Sturrock mark 2

All conjecture but if we wouldn't have moved Sturrock upstairs for a director's niavety in trying to relive his childhood (and at the same time permanently casting a shadow over a real legend) by getting Mariner in we would have stood a better chance I believe. As for Sturrock taking the blame for financial problems? He didn't hold the purse strings and many of the proper rubbish we signed (Cooper, Johnson) on huge money was not down to him.

As for Williamson's 1st season, I seem to remember after a decent start following on from the previous season I recall us struggling until he changed tactics back to a 442 and put Friio back in the team. Pulis came in the next season, cleared out the deadwood and made some brilliant, solid signings and thankfully kept us up.

This with bells on :)

G

Greenskin

Kevin_Dacombe":2yfikius said:
esmer":2yfikius said:

1. Smith
2. Sturrock mark 1
3. Adams
3. Williamson
4. Sturrock mark 2

Don't think he put Friio back in the team,he sold him to Forest maybe about halfway through the season.It was the arrival of players like Buz,Dodd,Blackstock and Chadders even that gave Argyle the bit of quality needed to avoid the drop.

Anyway;

1.Smith
2.Adams
3.Sturrock
4.Williamson

Who knows what the eventual rating of Adams could be.