Hull Brief Synopsis sponsored by Bromleigh House | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Hull Brief Synopsis sponsored by Bromleigh House

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
There wasn't anything to worry about was there?
What an incredible team, fighting to the end to get the win and grab another season in the Championship.

So many things conspired against us in the second half of the season, most clubs would struggle to cope with so much upheaval:
Schumacher leaving.
The coaching staff leaving.
Azaz, Cundle and Kesler-Hayden leaving.
Mumba’s goal at Southampton ruled out.
The poor decision to appoint Foster.
Coventry’s winner ruled good despite the ball going out of play.
Coventry’s last second equaliser from a free-kick in the home game when a simple one-man wall would have stopped the goal.
Five home defeats in succession.
Five home games with no goals scored.
Sheff Wed and QPR picking up form after previously looking dead and buried.
The late decision to sack Foster.

And yet against that horrible backdrop of adversity we came through it all, the fighting spirit was highlighted in this one game and when you consider the size and wealth of the clubs we are up against avoiding relegation is one of the biggest achievements in the club's history.

Nothing showed the Green fighting spirit more than Joe Edwards, the smallest man on the pitch stood so tall today, including heading in the goal that will cement his place in Argyle folklore.

As for the game itself Alfie
Devine was picked to start in central midfield otherwise it was the expected line up.

The atmosphere switched throughout the game, from carnival to edgy to a deathly quiet but towards the end of the game it was fantastic and matched the atmosphere from the Leicester game.

Early doors we pressed high onto Hull who didn't have the answers to beat the press. The front three of Hardie, Whittaker and Bundu stopped Hull from playing out of defence.

Bundu was causing problems on the left with his strong running and created a couple of half chances.

Whittaker had a shot saved, it was a good save but Whittaker from a few months ago would have buried that.

Hull rarely threatened us apart from one chance when Cooper made a low save.

Bundu had to go off after picking up an injury and was replaced by Callum Wright and one of his first touches was to cross to the far post and there was Edwards leaping above the defender to head in a superb goal. Brilliant! Home Park erupted.
We now had something to hold onto.

The second half was so nervy, this time we sat back, soaked up the pressure and played on the counter-attack, we still created half chances with Wright shooting wide from one of these.

Hull probed and tested our defence but again they didn't create clear cut chances.

With five minutes of injury time signalled Home Park moved into a party atmosphere.
This reached a crescendo when the ref blew the final whistle.
The players all ran to each other and hugged and the fans ran onto the pitch.

'That's it, Argyle are staying up'.

The players gave absolutely everything, they fought for every ball, they closed down the Hull players and didn't let them settle.
The tactics were spot on, the press on the Hull defence stopped them playing out.
An incredible team performance, one of the best I've seen.

So another season in the Championship to look forward to and an exciting summer ahead.

Man of the Match - Captain Fantastic.

Cooper 9, Phillips 8, Scarr 9, Gibson 8, Edwards 10, Randell 8, Devine 8, Mumba 9, Whittaker 7, Bundu 8, Hardie 8.
Subs - Wright 8, Galloway n/a, Forshaw n/a, Waine n/a.

20240504_142914.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2016
Why oh why oh why couldn’t we play like we did today in previous games taking the iniative to the opposition,negative tactics end up biting you in the backside.

Reactions: Deacster
Feb 20, 2024
Woolwell
Front foot from the off and a shout out for both Devine and Wright who both made a significant contribution to the victory. As said above what a contrast to the lacklustre performances against Stoke and Millwall. The appointment of the new manager and his staff will be crucial for our chances next season. Well done to all at the club and take a well deserved break before it all starts again in August.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Not sure how you scored Whittaker a 7, he was abysmal from start to finish. Kept falling over, giving the ball away, was like playing a man short. Unfortunately a long way off the £10m player he was touted to be in January.

He wasn't at his best but I thought he fought, chased and closed down and put a shift in on the ugly side of the game. As ever marks out of 10 always vary amongst fans.

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
A brave and attacking selection which worried me when I heard it, but worked very well and brought back memories of the best days under SS. And I agree Devine, and Wright when he came on, had very good games. Morgan again was not at his best but all of our players, and especially Captain Joe, worked hard and were totally committed and impressive.

Jan 23, 2024
I was very worried when I saw the team, just shows how much I know! Whittaker looks very low on confidence now, or maybe is just jaded, he has played pretty much every minute of every game I think. That chance in the first half would have been dead and buried a couple of months ago. In some ways I'm happy, I'd love for there to be no interest in him over the summer, and for him to come back scoring on all cylinders next season. With a LOT of help, of course.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
what an atmosphere.the coaching staff got the tactics exactly right,we were going for it from the word go.an unfortunate injury to bundhu led to the hugely underused and superb player callum wright coming on and he delivered the perfect cross for captain fantastic to bravely head home.morgan not so good today but he is young and has scored 19,a wonderful talent.at the back coops was assured and dealt with everything calmly,bali was fantastic and dan was a leviathon in defence.a great day to be an argyle supporter which i didn't think we would celebrate after the stoke and millwall debacles.well done to all concerned.my ratings;
Cooper 10, Phillips 10, Scarr 10, Gibson 10, Edwards any number above 10, Randell 10, Devine 10, Mumba 10, Whittaker 7, Bundu 8, Hardie 10.
Subs - Wright 10.a special mention to ben waine who made the ball stick up front when he came on,he is improving all the time.

Jul 12, 2016
Superb result against the odds. The players gave their all for the cause and I was proud to be a Green today. The performance was typified by our captain who probably had his best game this season to get us over the line. Well done to all the players after all the stress.

Dec 26, 2010
what an atmosphere.the coaching staff got the tactics exactly right,we were going for it from the word go.an unfortunate injury to bundhu led to the hugely underused and superb player callum wright coming on and he delivered the perfect cross for captain fantastic to bravely head home.morgan not so good today but he is young and has scored 19,a wonderful talent.at the back coops was assured and dealt with everything calmly,bali was fantastic and dan was a leviathon in defence.a great day to be an argyle supporter which i didn't think we would celebrate after the stoke and millwall debacles.well done to all concerned.my ratings;
Cooper 10, Phillips 10, Scarr 10, Gibson 10, Edwards any number above 10, Randell 10, Devine 10, Mumba 10, Whittaker 7, Bundu 8, Hardie 10.
Subs - Wright 10.a special mention to ben waine who made the ball stick up front when he came on,he is improving all the time.
I do agree about Ben Waine. He seems to wrongfoot defenders in a way that Hardie typically doesn't. I feel that there's a player in there.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
He wasn't at his best but I thought he fought, chased and closed down and put a shift in on the ugly side of the game. As ever marks out of 10 always vary amongst fans.
That wasn't the player I saw second half. He didn't close down, he didn't mark, he didn't get back, he fell over and expected free kicks. Any scouts who saw him today would have laughed at a £10m valuation. By comparison Ben Waine whose ability I've always doubted put in a great shift when he came on.

Reactions: Eddie