Ifollow Revenue | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ifollow Revenue

Jul 2, 2014
I am a U.S.-based fan. I subscribe to iFollow, and have for a very long time - long before the video stream was available. I do see games (home and away) when I am in the U.K.

My current subscription cost $140 for the season - just league games and EFL Trophy games, but the BBC Devon commentary is available for cup games. That is £107 or about £2.33 a game (home and away). A great deal because I watch pretty much every game with my computer plugged into my TV. If the price were higher, I would still subscribe, but I have no idea what the subscription level to maximize revenue to the club is. I assume that this is the same subscription that Hallett has.

If Argyle gets half the revenue (I have no idea what share of the iFollow revenue the club actually gets), £220,000 equates to 4,112 season-long subscriptions by Argyle fans. Of course, the club may get a larger or smaller share, and many people buy subscriptions for individual games or even half-season packages. So I "guestimate" that there may be about 3,000 overseas fans like me with subscriptions - give-or-take.

If the iFollow subscription were split equally between the teams being watched, half of the revenue from my subscription would go to Argyle (they are one of the teams in every game that I view) and half would be divided equally between the 23 other teams in the division. Given that we have the second-largest average attendance (only Bradford higher), I assume that the club would lose revenue under that kind of arrangement. Although, if we were in the Championship, the opposite might be true.

I would also note that the video quality at Home Park is better than anywhere else in the division (four cameras as opposed to one, and with the instant replay of goals and key moments).

The video quality of iFollow has improved a lot since it began, but there is plenty of room for improvement. I would love to have an app downloadable to my TV so that I can avoid going through my computer. I would also like to have a higher quality/resolution video stream. Given that Simon Hallett and his wife are probably watching a lot of Argyle games in the same way that I do, I assume that he is pushing for the same improvements. It would be great if the Argyle Ladies games were also streamed (good to see that they seem to be getting support from the Halletts too).