Ifollow users | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ifollow users

My account tells me that the next annual payment is due on 16th July.

I emailed ifollow with the following questions:

Is there anything new with ifollow for the coming season? For example:

· Clock and score in the corner of the screen

· Ability to hide scores, particularly when trying to watch the game the following day without knowing the score first

· Ability to have audio and video at the same

I subscribe on a match by match basis to a club in Spain at the same level as my English team, tier 3. For my €5, I get full commentary, the score displayed, the clock, instant replays, everything that we take for granted for the past few decades of football broadcasting.

This was the response:

There are plans to enhance the production for games next season but what these enhancements will actually be are still being worked on so please keep an eye on the clubs website for updates in regards to the iFollow service.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Lobster":100btpxd said:
I’ve found a team in green and white to support here in Stockholm, but they’re top of the league so it just isn’t the same.

Thanks for any replies.

You have moved to Stockholm? You lucky, lucky Lobster! :greensmile:

Hope it goes well for you, it is one of my favourite cities, I love it! Sorry, can't help with the ifollow question.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
A minor point but the ifollow video does have an audio component but it is just from a ground based microphone; no commentary. A real shame that they stopped allowing the parallel commentary to be used simultaneously. Did we ever find out the reason for this?

Trev501":20tkvgtz said:
A minor point but the ifollow video does have an audio component but it is just from a ground based microphone; no commentary. A real shame that they stopped allowing the parallel commentary to be used simultaneously. Did we ever find out the reason for this?

This is the response from Argyle (Rob McNichol) when I asked that question (In October):

It is not a case of us 'separating' the commentary from the footage on iFollow. The commentary that we receive comes from Radio Devon, essentially patched into iFollow, and is broadcast via the audio channel to subscribers both domestic and international, as is ever has been.

This year has seen the addition of streaming video, which is essentially a live stream of the one-camera feed used by ITN to film for what is referred to as the 'Goals Exchange' - that is, the service that provides the footage to Channel 5 for their EFL show, to Sky Sports for their highlights clips, and indeed to iFollow and YouTube for the match specific highlights.

Should a commentary be added, it would most likely not be via the very complicated manner of trying to sync them - the delays are different, they are controlled at different places, etc - but instead for us to add our own commentary. Indeed, there is potential for us to take over the whole shoot and provide the complete video provision, with a multi-camera shoot. This is something we are investigating, but a) are short of the manpower and quality right now, and b) want to get absolutely right before rolling out.

Also for us to consider is the option of whether or not we can make the commentary an in-play option. That is to say, that the viewer would be able to switch it off. We have actually had several correspondents report to us that they enjoy the ambient sound of the game, and of the Green Army.

We were given extremely short notice by EFL digital that streaming video was going to be a feature for this season. Indeed, the fixed, inflexible price point that overseas subscribers have to pay has been something we have raised, and would have raised prior to the season had we been informed of it.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
At some stage in the season, the ability to replay or go back on the video stream seemed to disappear down to about 30 secs or often fewer. One is more AR than VAR then.

Can live without the audio, and given the quality of it available no great loss, was always one eye in a blind kingdom. If the sound effects from crowd et al were sync'ed on the vid, that would be handy, but not unbearable.

The score and time etc one can just source from other devices innit.

And anyone looking to non-contractually stream in UK, there's a very good debate on the topic on one of the main Bradford City fans sites, FYI wink emoji close bracket.

I'd forgotten about the non-syncing of crowd noises. That was annoying. Also, whilst I can see how having "ambient" noise and no commentary would work at somewhere with a big crowd, it definitely doesn't in league 1 or 2. I've missed quite a few goals because I had no crowd noise to make me look up from the ironing or the kids building blocks, and no Sparksy (other commentators are available) to let me know what was happening.

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
Crowd sync was often so far behind game play to be farcical.When a goal was scored with no roar from the green army I often thought it had been disallowed momentarily.

CJH

Jun 26, 2015
Tauranga NZ
Whilst the quality of the video can be poor at times, its better than no football. The main issue for me is trying to watch the live match at 0400hrs in NZ on a cell phone, the small picture size makes it very hard to distinguish the players and the actual teams. I have now given up and only watch the extended highlights.
Main issues:
1/ Lack of time and ongoing results during the match
2/ For the first past of the season I was able to download the extended highlights and Air Play (screen mirroring) using Apple TV to a full size monitor, for second part of season they took that option away. I was accessing via the club website, but cannot get any responce from the club, can any one HELP.

CJH

Jul 19, 2014
Worst for me last season was Rotherham away when they'd disabled the commentary, and the single camera moved over to focus on the goal keeper whilst they were having a man sent off. By the time the camera moved back all the drama was over and the game continued with me none the wiser. I had no idea we were playing against 10 men until the game was over.

This is a pretty major factor of the game, but with the single camera not capturing the moment, no replays, no commentary to explain it and no graphics on screen to communicate it, this part of the game was totally lost for me.

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
I will definitely be renewing. Not only was the coverage very good, but it gives me a sense of ownership/belonging that I haven't had in years. I consider myself partly a season-ticket holder thanks to this service. On that subject, though, I'd be interested to know how much money goes to the clubs, as someone else asked.

Regarding sound quality, yes it was annoying that the crowd noise wasn't synched. Even more annoying was when they turned off the option of having two tabs open to stream the Radio Devon commentary in the background. Someone said at the time that this was the club's choice. I'd be interested to know if that is the case and why we can't have both of the services that, theoretically, we have paid for.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll be going for it for next season - if the sound sync issues are still there I can live with turning the sound off. I still think it's amazing that living abroad I can watch all the games for a few quid each!

Lousy_Pint":3necv06h said:
Lobster":3necv06h said:
I’ve found a team in green and white to support here in Stockholm, but they’re top of the league so it just isn’t the same.

Thanks for any replies.

You have moved to Stockholm? You lucky, lucky Lobster! :greensmile:

Hope it goes well for you, it is one of my favourite cities, I love it! Sorry, can't help with the ifollow question.

Thanks for the well wishes. All going well so far, although 8 quid for a pint (even a lousy one..) is going to take some getting used to.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
Bermudian Green":1hukb9uw said:
Trev501":1hukb9uw said:

This is the response from Argyle (Rob McNichol) when I asked that question (In October):

It is not a case of us 'separating' the commentary from the footage on iFollow. The commentary that we receive comes from Radio Devon, essentially patched into iFollow, and is broadcast via the audio channel to subscribers both domestic and international, as is ever has been.

This year has seen the addition of streaming video, which is essentially a live stream of the one-camera feed used by ITN to film for what is referred to as the 'Goals Exchange' - that is, the service that provides the footage to Channel 5 for their EFL show, to Sky Sports for their highlights clips, and indeed to iFollow and YouTube for the match specific highlights.

Should a commentary be added, it would most likely not be via the very complicated manner of trying to sync them - the delays are different, they are controlled at different places, etc - but instead for us to add our own commentary. Indeed, there is potential for us to take over the whole shoot and provide the complete video provision, with a multi-camera shoot. This is something we are investigating, but a) are short of the manpower and quality right now, and b) want to get absolutely right before rolling out.

Also for us to consider is the option of whether or not we can make the commentary an in-play option. That is to say, that the viewer would be able to switch it off. We have actually had several correspondents report to us that they enjoy the ambient sound of the game, and of the Green Army.

We were given extremely short notice by EFL digital that streaming video was going to be a feature for this season. Indeed, the fixed, inflexible price point that overseas subscribers have to pay has been something we have raised, and would have raised prior to the season had we been informed of it.

Thanks for that BG but as we all know, for the early matches when commentary was available we just synced them ourselves it was no big deal. I like to do some work here in my workshop whilst the match progresses and now I'm torn between having to watch the match closely in case I miss anything or listen to the commentary alone. Rob McNichol doesn't seem to say that Argyle are unable to provide both, just that they appear to choose not to. A poor decision in my view.

Hi Trev

All good in Spain I hear, glad for you !

iFollow and I became "mixed up" last season, both blaming each other, relating to the type of package required.

They knew I was heading back to China in September 2017 and told me to subscribe when I was back.

I did.

But, as I used a VPN at the time, the ISP was given as a UK address - does that make sense ?

So they gave me the audio version only.

When I read all the other ex-pats on here WATCHING the games LIVE, I felt a complete fool.

Why was I the odd one out ?

They told me I was treated as a UK customer [thanks to my VPN !]

The audio commentary was great BUT I wish I could hear the build-up to the away games, in particular, for longer ?

Yes, I know its only Radio Devon but that IS Devon's Radio !!

I have NOT experienced the live games at all and hear/see conflicting opinions ?

Shall I stay safe in The Philippines in the new season - 2300 hours mainly with audio only OR 2300 hours with visual and/or audio ?

Of course, with a difference in price !!

Any thoughts [yes, I am stupid when it comes to techie things but NOTHING else !!] from the clever bxxxxxxs who think they are clever ?

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
Hi Paul, good to hear from you. Yes that's an unfortunate position to be in, I hope you were only charged for the audio only version. Presumably you can re-subscribe this year (having either removed your VPN or at least appearing from somewhere other than the UK) Certainly having the video feed has made quite a difference, especially being able to watch all 46 games except those shown via TV and I can usually watch those anyway. As I said above though, it would seem to be at no cost to the club to allow simultaneous reception of the audio and video and allow the user to sync the two together.

Life in Spain is great thanks, I guess you are still enjoying life in the far east..