I'm still in. | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

I'm still in.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Interesting to watch the Chelsea v Liverpool game yesterday, where the home fans loudly chanted Frank Lampards name following another home defeat. They can see what he is trying to do and are right behind him. What a contrast to some Argyle fans who have been moaning about Ryan Lowe almost from the start despite playing some great football. Chelsea fans have realised that things take time. Argyle fans would do well to show similar patience.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Most definitely in.

The style of football is a breath of fresh air and I’m convinced the results will come.

Patience is the key.

Aug 11, 2013
Still on the fence.

There tends to be reputational damage for those who overpromise and underdeliver.

When we over-promise and under-deliver we are broadcasting to others, ‘my word is meaningless and cannot be relied upon.’

When I see words expressed as deeds I might come over to the IN crowd.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Andy_S":32ahrtd0 said:
Now in my 69th year of "being IN".

Hilarious to see some of the comments from the "out" brigade!

13 games??? Words fail me!

:facepalm:

I loved the comment on the 'Honeymoon's over' thread = 'This is as bad as it can get!'

Really!!?? Hang on sunbeam, you ain't seen nothing yet!! :scarf:

Yes Andy I think the first 68 years are the worst!! :thumbs: (1 short of 69 personally! Tho' I guess that I'm also in my 69th year)

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Devongreenowl":2tce4q9m said:
Interesting to watch the Chelsea v Liverpool game yesterday, where the home fans loudly chanted Frank Lampards name following another home defeat. They can see what he is trying to do and are right behind him. What a contrast to some Argyle fans who have been moaning about Ryan Lowe almost from the start despite playing some great football. Chelsea fans have realised that things take time. Argyle fans would do well to show similar patience.

Of course, it helps that Lampard is a Chelsea legend and the fans there ADORE him. That gives him a peculiarly long honeymoon period.

Aug 5, 2016
We have been the better team on the end of a few defeats now.

A lot of it is bad luck. Much of it is poor defending. Opposition defenders seem to be able to concentrate for 90 minutes where we can't, and head a ball out of the box instead of watching an opposition player jump and head it past Palmer.

We are also a bit toothless. Newport away we had 70%+ possession and they had more clear cut chances in 5 mins than in 85 mins of us having slow patient build ups.

I do think it will come but the criticism that we have no plan B is valid. Northampton confidently predicted they had a sound gameplan to spoil us, and numerous teams have copied it now. We seem to have all the possession but no answer.

Apr 5, 2008
The way football clubs are run these days,if Ryan Lowe doesn't get a point in the next three games,he could find himself not even being the manager of Argyle any longer
Pressure already beginning to mount on him

Aug 5, 2016
Not in my opinion. He deserves a midtable season to suss out what he has got and where to fix it. The players he has brought in have been very good. There is no real reason to question his judgement.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Definitely Still IN.

I posted this on another thread - but using the stats for 'expected goals' (ie chances created and chances conceded) we should be higher in the table, indeed just on chances created we would be top. See here:-

https://experimental361.files.wordpress ... 1-4-l2.png

OK, OK I know some people get upset with stats and will poo-poo it - but it's the best measure we’ve got to objectively determine if a team is being lucky or unlucky. The web site that collates this info itself concedes the 'XG' measure is not perfect but "it’s safe to say that significant differences tend not to be sustainable over the long run"...... and we have a significant difference. Bad finishing? Sure. Dodgy defence ? Sure. But we have been unlucky too - and if we can put s few things right then we will get the results and enjoy watching it too. Still IN.

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
Looking at past seasons we need around 75 points for a play-off place and 85 points for an automatic promotion place in League 2 . With 36 games left if you divide that into four quarters of nine games we need 18 points from 27 for a play off place and 21 points from 27 for an automatic spot for each of those quarters. An automatic spot may be challenging but a play off place is certainly possible and that is where most of us hoped or expected us to be pre-season. So we are not far off.

Whilst the leakage of goals is disappointing the premise has always been to score more. Whilst attempts at goal may be a questionable statistic the more perceptive measurement of a teams attacking intent and delivery is shots on target. Argyle have the second highest shots on target in League 2 and are in the top 10% of the 91 League teams. When you look at the shots on target per game around 90% of teams fail to make 5 per game. Argyle regularly exceed that.

As may have observed it is not so much the creation of chances that is the problem it is their conversion. The injuries to key forwards is a major factor in the failure to convert. Most of those injuries seem to be to players who did not have a proper pre-season. The constant changes to the striking combination up front is disruptive to the link up play in the final third. The result is a tendency to overplay as runs are not made and intuition and instinct are absent. We seem to have a lot of goal bound shots blocked as a result as we give defenders a chance to recover. Danny Mayor, as glorious as he has been in gliding past players, is particularly guilty of this.

It is not so much a plan B, although a variance in the distribution from Palmer in the first third would be welcome, but a better execution of plan A in the final third. Much work on the training round is needed. Lowe has a good pedigree in the art of forward play but our current crop of forwards still have a lot to learn to make the system effective. Do that and we have every chance of making the play-offs and if we did I'd really fancy our chances. I'm in.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Green_Matt":2k5y92nb said:
IJN":2k5y92nb said:
It wouldn't in Plymouth.
We aren't familiar with that level of sporting achievement so I don't think you can say that for certain.

You’re right, I can’t. It’s just a hunch.