#incoming (Macaulay Gillesphey signs) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

#incoming (Macaulay Gillesphey signs)

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
It may be that Robbie Fowler played some part here.

I'm sure that Lowe would know Fowler and he was the Manager who signed Gillesphey for Brisbane.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
demportdave":14466kdx said:
It may be that Robbie Fowler played some part here.

I'm sure that Lowe would know Fowler and he was the Manager who signed Gillesphey for Brisbane.

Reading the interview it seems like Jay O’Shea played a big part in it.

Lowe told Plymouth Live: “Jay O’Shea is good mates with him (Gillesphey) from over there. He played with him for the past two seasons.

“The boy had said he wanted to get back to England and Jay told him he would be perfect for the way I play because he’s a left-sided centre-half.

“Then Jay got in touch with me and Schuey (assistant manager Steven Schumacher) and that’s really where the interest came from.

Full interview here

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/ ... er-5532712

Jan 27, 2012
Its a big step up from the A-League to playing in League One.

Winning player of the year for an A-League club is certainly not the same thing as doing it for a EFL side.

Gillesphey will need to adapt. The good thing is that he has previously played for Carlisle and so has some experience in the English leagues. However, the fact he ended up in Austrailia makes me think that he probably wasn't a stand out player in League Two.

I'd like to see one or two additional centre backs brought into the club. There needs to be strong competition.

Sep 2, 2008
The Doctor":2jwoqm7f said:
Pottypilgrim":2jwoqm7f said:
After reading what Lowe said about how he came to be on our radar, I am actually ok with the way he seems to have been recruited. As you rightly observe, I am no fan of recruiting using data analytics but Gillesphey seems to have been recruited by word of mouth which I think is a much better way especially when the plaudits come out of the mouths of people that are considered decent players.

Like I said, cant really comment on his ability until we see him but based on how he was recruited, I'm more inclined to think he may be a good acquisition after all. Time will tell.

It'll be interesting for me, to see how he actually compares to Scarr and Wilson especially when data analytics seem to have played a large part in recruiting the two of them but not so with Gillesphy :think:

This is all complete conjecture. You (we) really have no idea of the extent to which data analytics, word-of-mouth, personal, recommendation, scouting etc. were or were not used ahead of each of these three signings. It is pure supposition on your part that data analytics was a large part of recruiting Scarr and Wilson but not Gillesphey. I think you are just seeing/reading what you want to see in the various articles about the signings - it's a completely natural thing to do of course ('confirmation bias').

Agreed that I/we have no idea to what extent each of those played in his recruitment but I was commenting against the fact that Lowe himself said that they were actually used, so not really conjecture at all.

In fact, I'm not sure that Lowe actually said data analytics were used for Gillesphey which makes sense. I'm not sure that the A League collect that info and if they do, then I wonder if we would have access to data from a different Football Association anyway.

So, I disagree with your diagnosis of confirmation bias. I was actually seeing/reading what was actually in the article and not what I wanted to see/read.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
How good is the Australian A-league?

Here is an Australian journo's opinion

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.co ... junn9.html

In summary, he thinks possibly equal to (or better) than L2 or even L1. More technical but with a shorter season with less fitness.

I don't agree, but it is a slightly different game (pitch, weather etc..).

With Macauley time will tell.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
AdelaideGreen":3nipizom said:
How good is the Australian A-league?

Here is an Australian journo's opinion

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.co ... junn9.html

In summary, he thinks possibly equal to (or better) than L2 or even L1. More technical but with a shorter season with less fitness.

I don't agree, but it is a slightly different game (pitch, weather etc..).

With Macauley time will tell.

What level would you think it is close to Adelaide Green?

Mar 14, 2009
I really don’t know why we are trying to predict.

We had signings who we often got on the hype train about and then often disappointed. Even when they played at a better level.

The truth is that Wilson, Scarr and Gillesphey are unknown quantities, in a back 3. It’s totally different than a back 4. For a start your more exposed down the channels because the wing backs leave space.

What is just important as the back 3 is the person screening them. Personally, ld prefer to play two in front of the back 3 because you need an exceptional player if one player has to do all that work.

Jan 27, 2012
I thought the plan was to sign proven League One defenders ?

The fact is Argyle has only signed one- Wilson from Ipswich.

Scarr and Gillesphey are unproven and untried at League One level. We have been in this situation previously and it hasn’t worked out well.

Jun 27, 2019
briangreen":30mvnv6z said:
Scottish championship standard I've been told.

That's left-field! I've probably watched as many A-League games as Scottish Championship ones :lol:

I don't think it matters what standard the A-League is anyway. Gillesphey has played 80 games in League Two and Carlisle fans seem to rate him, as does Jay O'Shea, who has played hundreds of games in League One and knows what a good centre-back looks like at that level.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
The football season hasnt even started yet & some posters are already turning their noses up at 2 of the 3 players we have signed- if you think you can do a better job then RL name the players on your wish list that you think are better , available & within our price range

We have no idea what the goes on behind closed doors in respect of player recruitment or players we have expressed an interest in but have chosen to go elsewhere

RL has chosen the players he has signed for a reason - he believes they can do a job

It does not matter which clubs they have come from - what matters is how they perform for Argyle

Or would you rather RL didnt bother recruiting seasoned pros to form the defensive unit & reverted to the premier league creche club to form our defence next season - i know which one i would prefer

Mar 14, 2009
All comes down to money and location.

Unfortunately, that’s why we have to plan in a different way.

People talk about the playoffs being a possibility but there are many more clubs in this league with a better budget. On top of this their location is a benefit.

If Argyle actually become a solid mid table team, cut out these bad runs and stop the flirtatious nature with the drop zone next season then it’s an improvement.

To bring in a so many players will take time to gel.

The formation, tactics and placement of certain players next season will be a bigger factor than the recruitment of new players.

Aug 5, 2016
greybeard-kernow":2alarh5v said:
whats with all the Australian quotes and sayings.. the guy is english from the north east. :eh: HOWAY, MAN

I can't possibly think why. When we signed Kelland Watts no-one got their didgeridoos and boomerangs out. What is the difference? I'm really racking my brains!!