Investment thread (merged) | Page 14 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Investment thread (merged)

Mar 20, 2023
What will happen when we realize that we have to spend another £10 mil on Harpers Park with the new land bought, and maybe £20 mil to increase the capacity significantly.

There is far, far to go for us to catch up with where the club should be!
Yes whilst I fully understand the strategy to invest in the academy we won’t be likely to see a return on that investment for many years. Surely we are not all expecting to suddenly have a couple of the calibre of Ollie Watkins come through to pay it back in a few seasons. It may take a decade. But so many posters on here talk about our lack of first team facilities holding us back as players might be put off signing and not seeing a decent training ground. Plus the fact that our future business model is based on getting players in, developing them and selling them on for a large profit, which is surely easier with top class facilities, shouldn’t we have invested in the first team facilities first and the academy further on down the line.

zakbrown96

✅ Evergreen
Mar 22, 2013
About 25 million quid. We were valued at about £20m when Argyle Green first invested in League One, so should probably be more than that in the Championship.

Morgan Whittaker could go for almost that alone, so the whole club would surely now be worth considerably more. Though it's only worth as much as someone wants to pay... £50m perhaps?
Clubs value tends to be 1.7 times revenue and whatever the buyer wants to pay 😂

Feb 8, 2005
Yes whilst I fully understand the strategy to invest in the academy we won’t be likely to see a return on that investment for many years. Surely we are not all expecting to suddenly have a couple of the calibre of Ollie Watkins come through to pay it back in a few seasons. It may take a decade. But so many posters on here talk about our lack of first team facilities holding us back as players might be put off signing and not seeing a decent training ground. Plus the fact that our future business model is based on getting players in, developing them and selling them on for a large profit, which is surely easier with top class facilities, shouldn’t we have invested in the first team facilities first and the academy further on down the line.
The Academy is part of the future of the club.

Our training facilities are adequate for the time being, and are being improved as we go.

Our academy is competing with that of Exeter City. I think we can acknowledge that theirs has been more successful than ours. Whilst we lag behind them, the likes of future Ollie Watkins's will be drawn to their academy rather than ours, so it is imperative that we get our facilities up and running and become the magnet for all the talent in the southwest. We have to improve sufficiently to capture all the future talent. This has started, but we need the facilities at Brickfields to encourage the talent to join us in the first place

Then we can improve our first team facilities at Harpers.

If we can encourage investors to invest in the club, to agree that their money will be spent on infrastructure, than we can bring forward all these plans, and money already set aside for these investments may be able to be used to increase player budgets, maybe.

May 12, 2022
Ok fair play perhaps I heard it wrong. Or a different podcast. I believe he is the best chairman of my generation. I'm 49 years old. And I'm happy with him to continue with the great work he has done. He does say in other podcasts that most of the work in house is done by many others in the chain of command. We are a brilliantly run football club.
I imagine AP can sign off most things but certain things have to be run by SH

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
I was very taken by a point Luke Cundle made at the Senior Greens, where he wished we had a separate changing room for training and match days. It might appear a small point to us, but clearly to someone coming through big clubs' academies this struck him as odd, and probably said a lot about us.

Oct 10, 2018
A week last Tuesday, it was noted on Plymouth Live that the chairman was meeting the board to discuss potential investors, one was referred to as a strong possibility, the other two as possibilities.

Wondered what the out come was with this, or if any further feed back given by SH.

Oct 10, 2018
I was very taken by a point Luke Cundle made at the Senior Greens, where he wished we had a separate changing room for training and match days. It might appear a small point to us, but clearly to someone coming through big clubs' academies this struck him as odd, and probably said a lot about us.
Did Luke give any rationale?

Reactions: German Shepherd
Oct 10, 2018
I imagine AP can sign off most things but certain things have to be run by SH
Definitely on the same page, Simon H is not just a good chairman but he comes across with great humility and determination, yet humble and honest to appreciate and credit others, whilst taking accountability. These are sadly rare attributes in today's society, were cans are too often booted down the road.

Carefully steady progress is better than flash in pan or boom & bust mentality, I am too 49, so perhaps its an age thing or just life experience shining through

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Definitely on the same page, Simon H is not just a good chairman but he comes across with great humility and determination, yet humble and honest to appreciate and credit others, whilst taking accountability. These are sadly rare attributes in today's society, were cans are too often booted down the road.

Carefully steady progress is better than flash in pan or boom & bust mentality, I am too 49, so perhaps its an age thing or just life experience shining through
Well said for a youngster.:)

Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
Sadly i didn't win the euromillions so thats me out of the investment with argyle.

But seriously it would be good to see how Argyle grow voth the stadium and non match day revenues

Oct 10, 2018
Clubs value tends to be 1.7 times revenue and whatever the buyer wants to pay 😂
Where did you get that stat from, its ambiguous.

All sorts of elements impact a club value, and fair to imagine values would vary greatly.

Depending upon land or site value, hospitality and event space, training facilties other assets belonging to club including transport, community investment programmes etc.

So your 1.7 figure sounds bold at best more likely made up.

Oct 10, 2018
The Academy is part of the future of the club.

Our training facilities are adequate for the time being, and are being improved as we go.

Our academy is competing with that of Exeter City. I think we can acknowledge that theirs has been more successful than ours. Whilst we lag behind them, the likes of future Ollie Watkins's will be drawn to their academy rather than ours, so it is imperative that we get our facilities up and running and become the magnet for all the talent in the southwest. We have to improve sufficiently to capture all the future talent. This has started, but we need the facilities at Brickfields to encourage the talent to join us in the first place

Then we can improve our first team facilities at Harpers.

If we can encourage investors to invest in the club, to agree that their money will be spent on infrastructure, than we can bring forward all these plans, and money already set aside for these investments may be able to be used to increase player budgets, maybe.
Excellent points well made

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M

My memory was that it felt a bit much being in the same changing room all the time. He did not use these words but it felt like it was a bit dull, boring etc to be in the same room. Moreover, it was clearly something he was not used to.

zakbrown96

✅ Evergreen
Mar 22, 2013
Where did you get that stat from, it’s ambiguous.

All sorts of elements impact a club value, and fair to imagine values would vary greatly.

Depending upon land or site value, hospitality and event space, training facilties other assets belonging to club including transport, community investment programmes etc.

So your 1.7 figure sounds bold at best more likely made up.
I spoke to Simon about that and when I said valuation of £42.5m based on £25m revenue (as rough estimate) his response was “Not Far Off” so I can’t be that far wrong with the 1.7 times statement.

Reactions: pafc jack