Jamie Ness | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jamie Ness

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Personally, I think Argyle fans were treated to such good central midfielders in the late 90's early noughties that our expectations are a bit high. Friio, Nalis, Norris, Wotton, Fletcher even... all fantastic players for us. Since then we've only had the odd player here or there really nail down a central midfield slot. As a central midfield player you really have to take the game by the scruff and dominate it, more so than any other position and it's not easy to do consistently at a high standard. Even Hourihane took a shed load of criticism despite being a fantastic and I remember McHugh being criticised a fair bit early on before he went on to win player of the season. It's comfortably been the weakest area of our team since McHugh left, we still haven't replaced him.

Ness isn't great by any means, but he's solid and sensible. He's not as good as Diagarouga and we should be aiming higher, but I think people expecting great things of him in central midfield are expecting too much.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
samjones":24fs7p8m said:
Steve.PAFC2012":24fs7p8m said:
plymouth1970":24fs7p8m said:
Ness , Blissett (I know he’s gone on loan), Miller , Songo are nowhere near the standard required for this league . Give Sangster a try.
Very harsh on Songo'o.

He's been arguably our player of the year while he's been playing.

Absolutely. Never been a big Songo fan and he has limited ability but he gives you everything and seemed to have upped his game this year. Ness flatters to deceive and I just don't think its fitness because he was just as pants when he was in the team at the start of the season. Definitely looks like a player where the injuries have caught up with him and his legs have gone.
Toums was quite slow and deliberate but still effective. When we started winning with him the team it was no coincidence. When we start losing with Ness in the team its the same no coincidence.
I'm not blaming him for anything specific yesterday but he clearly carries a monkey on his back and its effecting the team overall as well.
At least Songo will chase, win the ball and break things down with some aggression and that's what our midfield lacks especially with Lameiras and Carey in the team.
We need that dominating aggressive ball winner who can pass it to Fox and the likes not simply play a hospital pass back to someone else.
Come on, Ness has played 2 games since replacing Toums.. we out played Doncaster last week especially second half and should have won (If Sarcevic could finish) and gave Wigan a very good go yesterday. Are you saying with Toums in midfield instead of Ness, we would of beaten Wigan? Very unlikely.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Steve.PAFC2012":z8eeqytl said:
plymouth1970":z8eeqytl said:
Ness , Blissett (I know he’s gone on loan), Miller , Songo are nowhere near the standard required for this league . Give Sangster a try.
Very harsh on Songo'o.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Steve.PAFC2012":1jcgqhbk said:
plymouth1970":1jcgqhbk said:
Very harsh on Songo'o.

I agree that Songo'o is not the greatest player that ever has worn an Argyle shirt, but having that, he has been very effective in team performances, no matter what position he has been called upon, midfield or CB. One great player never makes a team, but an effective player is integral to a successful team performance. I feel Songo'o does not let the side down. We have had far worse than him playing for Argyle down the decades.

May 1, 2011
LeonTheGreen":3707on5r said:
samjones":3707on5r said:
Steve.PAFC2012":3707on5r said:
plymouth1970":3707on5r said:
Very harsh on Songo'o.

Absolutely. Never been a big Songo fan and he has limited ability but he gives you everything and seemed to have upped his game this year. Ness flatters to deceive and I just don't think its fitness because he was just as pants when he was in the team at the start of the season. Definitely looks like a player where the injuries have caught up with him and his legs have gone.
Toums was quite slow and deliberate but still effective. When we started winning with him the team it was no coincidence. When we start losing with Ness in the team its the same no coincidence.
I'm not blaming him for anything specific yesterday but he clearly carries a monkey on his back and its effecting the team overall as well.
At least Songo will chase, win the ball and break things down with some aggression and that's what our midfield lacks especially with Lameiras and Carey in the team.
We need that dominating aggressive ball winner who can pass it to Fox and the likes not simply play a hospital pass back to someone else.
Come on, Ness has played 2 games since replacing Toums.. we out played Doncaster last week especially second half and should have won (If Sarcevic could finish) and gave Wigan a very good go yesterday. Are you saying with Toums in midfield instead of Ness, we would have beaten Wigan? Very unlikely.

With Toums in midfield we would have undoubtedly had a better chance of winning against Wigan. To back up that point the manager would have played Toums ahead of Ness for sure.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Ness is a very different player to Diagouraga & if he's the long term replacement then our run in this season will be harder than it needs to be, not because Ness is poor, but because he doesn't fit the system.