January funds | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

January funds

Stevie Wotsa

✅ Evergreen
Nov 4, 2012
Devonport
Hello not posted on here for awhile this is kind of a practice post to get in the swing of things once again, So forgive me if its short and someone made this point already.

I know that there is going to be a few outgoings so hopefully that will free up some revenues to get maybe one or two in.

Personally i don't think it will be a massive overhaul to the team but maybe a few tweaks to sow up the back line a little.

I think that will see us ok.

Steve

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
As was shown once again on Tuesday we are always looking like we will concede whenever we face a set piece, how many conceded this campaign. We are in desperate need of a qualified defensive coach. Forward play is by and large an instinctive craft that can be improved with coaching but defensive play is altogether different and marking, defending space and ball management can be coached on the training ground. If the opposition has a set piece that they have worked on then we should have the coached ability to defend it. Simple things like not losing your man, not letting him get in front of you, headed clearances that really are clearances, a keeper who commands his area and his defence. If you have a back three then you should have three vocal leaders plus the keeper. etc., etc.

Jun 27, 2019
In a perfect world...

Out: Wootton, Canavan, Opoku, Ruddy, Telford

In: 3x centre-backs, 1x loanee keeper, 1x striker

Obviously that won't happen, but at the very least we need 2x centre-backs. If it doesn't happen then I'll seriously start to question what the management team are doing.

Mar 14, 2009
This is where l wonder if Lowe really understands his system.

If you play a high line or play exposing your defence what is the thing that makes your defence most vulnerable? Pace.

And yet even after watching us being exposed time and time again he re-signed Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer. No pace.

If you look at the stats we had one of the poorest chances conceded records in league two. It wasn’t because the defence was any good. Was because Palmer saved them countless times.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Why look outwards, when we aren't entirely sure the answer doesn't lie on the inside.

Just sometimes youthful desire and want can ignite you, Randell and Law for example could add to what we are missing. On a far grander scale, Arsenal tried Ozil (£350K a week), Mikatarayn (£250k a week) Willian (£230k) a week - its turns out a 19 year old on loan at Huddersfield is what they've been crying out for 6 months.

Of course we need more, but just sometimes some of the solutions are on your own doorstep and maybe those possible's need looking at before we start spending money we need to pay bills in 6-9 months time.

Mar 14, 2009
Voice_of_Reason":3vn5vj0f said:
Why look outwards, when we aren't entirely sure the answer doesn't lie on the inside.

Just sometimes youthful desire and want can ignite you, Randell and Law for example could add to what we are missing. On a far grander scale, Arsenal tried Ozil (£350K a week), Mikatarayn (£250k a week) Willian (£230k) a week - its turns out a 19 year old on loan at Huddersfield is what they've been crying out for 6 months.

Of course we need more, but just sometimes some of the solutions are on your own doorstep and maybe those possible's need looking at before we start spending money we need to pay bills in 6-9 months time.

I think Martinelli has improved them immensely by helping the team play off the front foot more.

They have also changed their system. At least they did for the Chelsea game. They went from 3 at the back to 4. Saka who was playing wing back suddenly played right side of midfield. They looked better balanced.

Dec 26, 2010
We scored two on Tuesday. That should have been enough to win a home game.

I'm a recent game, we were two down early in the game from corners and on Tuesday any balls coming into the area in the air seemed to cause total confusion.

The problem clearly lies in defence and, principally, with the three CBs, but surely a decent defensive coach could much improve matters. If money is to be spent (a big if) a ST contract for an out of work coach who knows how to organise a defence would greatly help.

Mar 14, 2009
I actually still believe Aimson is the best CB we currently have at the club.

The problem is if your best CB has a moment of rashness in the game like he had on Tuesday it doesn’t say much for all the other CB’s you have at your club.

Jun 27, 2019
Metal_Green_Mickey":mla0xrsx said:
I actually still believe Aimson is the best CB we currently have at the club.

The problem is if your best CB has a moment of rashness in the game like he had on Tuesday it doesn’t say much for all the other CB’s you have at your club.

At League One level there isn't a centre-back who doesn't have a moment of rashness in him. For all the praise people are giving Oxford's CBs they still allowed Camara a free run and finish in the area for our first.

The problem comes when all three of your CBs have a mistake in their locker. The other night was a prime example... Canavan made a pathetic attempt to clear for Oxford's first goal, Watts tried to play the offside trap when he was the deepest defender (luckily the striker blazed his shot over the bar) and Aimson made that stupid challenge.

You can afford the odd mistake in your backline but if all three of your CBs are giving goalscoring chances away then you've got no chance. That's why we're conceding so many goals.

I'd be comfortable with Aimson and Watts as part of our back three so long as Canavan wasn't in there with them. And definitely not Wootton, but that almost goes without saying now.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I do wonder if it’s the formation that we set up with to defend set pieces. I noticed, for example, McLeod was in front of the Oxford player who headed on the free kick that caused chaos for their first goal. He hardly jumped whereas, if it was a taller defender as the first line of defence, he could have won the header..

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Metal_Green_Mickey":ia8avsab said:

If you play a high line or play exposing your defence what is the thing that makes your defence most vulnerable? Pace.

And yet even after watching us being exposed time and time again he re-signed Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer. No pace.

If you look at the stats we had one of the poorest chances conceded records in league two. It wasn’t because the defence was any good. Was because Palmer saved them countless times.

He’ll be glad to know that you can explain his system to him MGM. :lol:

Mar 14, 2009
Daz":czkuk62j said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":czkuk62j said:

He’ll be glad to know that you can explain his system to him MGM. :lol:

I try and help where l can ;)

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
Although he has not said it recently one of my frustrations with RL is how he said on several occasions that he and Neil D have lots of contacts in the game and that players and their agents keep ringing him up about coming to Argyle....well where are the quality players ??