Jephers coming to other Clubs attention | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jephers coming to other Clubs attention

Aug 17, 2005
Graham Clark":31dd7m6w said:
I think the most useful comparison might be Olly Watkins. He went a couple of seasons without making much of a mark before being sent out to Weston Super Mare where he rediscovered some scoring form. His overall record for Exeter City was 21 goals in 68 appearances with 13 in 45 of his last season at St James Park. He went to Brentford for a reported ÂŁ1.8m

Jephcott has scored 17 in 38 plus 5 in 18 at Truro City after following a similar path to prominence to Watkins.

As the last two games have shown his partnership with Hardie has flourished. As Sam Parkin observed their movement was difficult for Charlton to deal with. Add to Luke’s rare ability to find space and be in the right place, often just ahead of the defender in the six yard box we have a most promising partnership that’s hopefully will continue to deliver as they did for them latter part of last season.

The ‘fox in the box’ will appeal to some Championship clubs, particularly those in the lower reaches. However, very few teams these days play with a two (3-5-2 or 4-4-2) and I do wonder whether Luke will be so effective in a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 which require a different requirement of a ‘front man’. It may be why he never was able perform under Derek Adams.

For me his career will benefit from staying at Argyle under the tutelage of Ryan Lowe under who he has improved immeasurably. What happens at the end of the season will depend on a number of matters not least Argyle’s finances at the end of this COVID wreckng season. May be then he might be tempted to follow in Watkins footsteps for a comparative price.i

With so many valuations being thrown around with the lower ones coming from persons with allegiance to other teams I too undertook a look at similar players and there record prior to sale. I looked at two further players the first being Toney at Brentford. At Jephcotts age he was loaned out twice to league one teams Shrewsbury and scunthorpe. Over the two seasons he scored 14 goals each season before being sold to a league one team in peterboro. There he had two seasons scoring 40 goals. It is stated that the fee was 5 million with another 5 million on posse le add ons.
The other player I looked at was the Norwich striker that started the subject. He is 23 years old and out of contract at the end of the season when he would be available on a free transfer having reached the age of 24. He has scored only 4 goals this season and the quoted price is 300000 pounds.
So how much is jephcott worth to the club certainly more than the 300000 that's quoted for Morris but to get anything like the valuations between Watkins and Toney he not only needs to prove himself doing it this season but next season as well. Should he do that and continue his caps with Wales then I see no reason why we cant get a valuation nearer to Toneys than Watkins

Jul 12, 2016
Graham Clark":3frfy6eq said:
I think the most useful comparison might be Olly Watkins. He went a couple of seasons without making much of a mark before being sent out to Weston Super Mare where he rediscovered some scoring form. His overall record for Exeter City was 21 goals in 68 appearances with 13 in 45 of his last season at St James Park. He went to Brentford for a reported ÂŁ1.8m

Jephcott has scored 17 in 38 plus 5 in 18 at Truro City after following a similar path to prominence to Watkins.

As the last two games have shown his partnership with Hardie has flourished. As Sam Parkin observed their movement was difficult for Charlton to deal with. Add to Luke’s rare ability to find space and be in the right place, often just ahead of the defender in the six yard box we have a most promising partnership that’s hopefully will continue to deliver as they did for them latter part of last season.

The ‘fox in the box’ will appeal to some Championship clubs, particularly those in the lower reaches. However, very few teams these days play with a two (3-5-2 or 4-4-2) and I do wonder whether Luke will be so effective in a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 which require a different requirement of a ‘front man’. It may be why he never was able perform under Derek Adams.

For me his career will benefit from staying at Argyle under the tutelage of Ryan Lowe under who he has improved immeasurably. What happens at the end of the season will depend on a number of matters not least Argyle’s finances at the end of this COVID wreckng season. May be then he might be tempted to follow in Watkins footsteps for a comparative price.i
To be fair it was playing for Truro that improved him as a player and they should have credit for that.Looks like Torquay are doing a similar job with Randell.

Jun 27, 2019
RL has said Jephcott signed a "long contract" in the summer, so it can only have been a minimum of three years. No way would he describe any less than that as "long".

He also said ÂŁ3.5m would be a realistic fee if he scores 25 goals this season.

Dec 30, 2011
IJN":3atf5d1i said:
Not me, I said we should ask for ÂŁ10m. Subtlety isn't a Yorkshireman's strength is it? :lol:

Cant believe Lowe has told the press he'll be worth as little as ÂŁ3.5M if he scores 25 this season. That's ludicrously low in todays market when clubs like Fulham, West Brom, Sheffield Utd, Brighton would surely take a punt any 25 goal striker priced at ÂŁ10 or less, which is an absolute snip by Premier League standards. We shouldn't have mentioned anything less than ÂŁ10M, even if we'd take ÂŁ7M.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
xmastree":3a0utox0 said:
Bermudian Green":3a0utox0 said:
I believe he signed a two-year contract in the summer.

Do you actually have the information on that? No one else seems to know and, given his advance this season, its pretty crucial info.

For Luke, the club, his agent and prospective suitors but not for us.

May 8, 2011
oldage":qa9glsws said:
Graham Clark":qa9glsws said:

To be fair it was playing for Truro that improved him as a player and they should have credit for that.Looks like Torquay are doing a similar job with Randell.

Very true, Jephcott was very peripheral to the Lowe’s first team squad prior to his loan spell at Truro, so a lot of credit has to go to the coaching and man management skills of Paul Wotton and Truro for giving a kick start to Jephcott’s career.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
HC Green":2ugnni2x said:
oldage":2ugnni2x said:
Graham Clark":2ugnni2x said:

Very true, Jephcott was very peripheral to the Lowe’s first team squad prior to his loan spell at Truro, so a lot of credit has to go to the coaching and man management skills of Paul Wotton and Truro for giving a kick start to Jephcott’s career.

Perish the thought that Ryan Lowe should get any credit eh? :twisted:

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
This is what Ryan Lowe said (see link below) about Luke’s return to Argyle from Truro. He trained with Argyle when he wasn’t playing for Truro. Ryan Lowe gambled with him, once Zac Rudden had left and Hardie hadn’t joined so the team were short up front. If I recall he responded by scoring two goals in his first two games. The rest, as they say, is history.

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2020/januar ... t-to-luke/

Oct 5, 2013
Graham Clark":303umurx said:
This is what Ryan Lowe said (see link below) about Luke’s return to Argyle from Truro. He trained with Argyle when he wasn’t playing for Truro. Ryan Lowe gambled with him, once Zac Rudden had left and Hardie hadn’t joined so the team were short up front. If I recall he responded by scoring two goals in his first two games. The rest, as they say, is history.

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2020/januar ... t-to-luke/

Great, thanks for posting this, funny how it changes perspectives when one has the facts and not mere speculation (about RL’s role, in this case) at one’s disposal !

Oct 5, 2013
jimsing":172sdhon said:
WoodsyGreen":172sdhon said:
RL has said Jephcott signed a "long contract" in the summer, so it can only have been a minimum of three years. No way would he describe any less than that as "long".

He also said ÂŁ3.5m would be a realistic fee if he scores 25 goals this season.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/luke-jephcott-going-nowhere-says-4834752

Thanks for posting this. Great that he seems to be on a 2 or 3 year contract.
I also thought Jephers’ own comments in his post-match about how beneficial it is working with RL were revealing, in terms of where he is best off at present.

Jul 12, 2016
Emu":t7i7vmoj said:
HC Green":t7i7vmoj said:
oldage":t7i7vmoj said:
Graham Clark":t7i7vmoj said:

Perish the thought that Ryan Lowe should get any credit eh? :twisted:
Nobody is taking credit away from RL but if Jephcott had not been managed correctly at Truro who knows if he would have returned to HP in such good form.

Aug 2, 2011
According to Lowe “ he ain’t going nowhere”. Logic therefore says he must be going somewhere. A pity a few more people don’t understood the English language. ( on the other hand Lowe is a scouser so English may not be applicable).

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Presto":1vyoyz82 said:
According to Lowe “ he ain’t going nowhere”. Logic therefore says he must be going somewhere. A pity a few more people don’t understood the English language. ( on the other hand Lowe is a scouser so English may not be applicable).

You're right! Not enough people don't understood the English language.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Presto":ykpw1xh8 said:

I'm sure Mr Hallett said the same about Mr Lowe when a manager role was available (was it Wigan or another tinpot club?)