Kick Off Times | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Kick Off Times

Apr 11, 2023
The

Key word there is 'Domestic'.
International viewers and anyone using a VPN should still be able to view Argyle TV. That's my interpretation anyway.
Hopefully, it should still be available for Internation viewers via Argyle TV (and VPN). If not lots of people will miss games not made available by SKY

Dec 9, 2012
Let us not kid ourselves that the last two Fridays had anything to do with us. Sky wanted to record Rotherham going down and Leicester going up. They must have been annoyed last Friday!
I reckon plenty of Ipswich, Leeds and Southampton fans stayed tuned. If it was 0-2 early doors they may have wandered away!

I hate lunch time kick offs. It just feels wrong!

Reactions: SurreyJanner

Belfast Green

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jun 23, 2017
Belfast
Now TV costs £26 a month to stream Sky Sports, with a minimum contract of six months. After that, the current price is £35 a month. The daily cost is £12.
Screwing the punter to put more cash into already obscenely overpaid players’ pockets.

Reactions: Dorset Green

The Pasty Kid

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
I have never had a minimum contract with them for the sports channels, just a deal period I can cancel at any time. I am currently paying £17.99 a month, that will end in June when I will go to cancel and they will likely off me another deal that is never more than £25, and most often £19.99.

EDIT: I have just seen that the current deal IS £26 for six months, but that is not locked in for the full six months, you can cancel anytime, towards the end of a deal you can get another one if you cancel and tell them it's too expensive. This is what I would be offered if I cancelled today...

1713271368478.png

Last edited:

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
I listen to the audio on Saturday & watch the whole game back on the Sunday- will that still be the case
The way i read it is that Sky Football red button is no more & if i want to watch the game i will have to go to Now TV or i continue with Argyle TV audio for week night games

Reactions: xmastree

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
I have always wondered what the trade-off is between a lower attendance due to an awkward televised slot and the money paid by the broadcaster to compensate for that lost revenue.

I'm guessing it would have to be a pretty low attendance (or massive fanbase opprobium) before the TV slot wasn't actually worth it.

Nov 18, 2011
Exactly. How did we have to play so many games in February but now one game a week? Madness.
The midweek slots at this time of the year are kept free in case games are called off over the winter months and need rescheduling. Someone like Colchester in League 2 who had several games cancelled are playing plenty of midweek games right now.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
I'm guessing it would have to be a pretty low attendance (or massive fanbase opprobium) before the TV slot wasn't actually worth it.
But no matter how small the attendance, the club have no choice in the matter. Sky decides when the games happen and the clubs have no say.

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
But no matter how small the attendance, the club have no choice in the matter. Sky decides when the games happen and the clubs have no say.
True at the micro level. But the clubs as a whole vote for the package on offer so they do have a say. I am guessing they throw accountants at it rather than just holding a finger in the wind and going with their gut instinct.

I would say it’s the price elasticity of demand, where the price is also the opportunity cost, versus the Sky payment. The clubs will have done their sums and, as a whole, they will know when the Sky offer is worth it and when not.

I was just wondering what that would come down to as an attendance, and I’m guessing pretty low, especially for the “subsidised“ clubs who would be taking a share of a total that is largely generated by the big clubs in the league.

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
I quite like Friday night football, personally. Mondays (apart from Bank Holidays obviously) absolutely suck. I will happily watch almost any football, and watch far too much of it, but I just can't make myself care about Monday evening Premier League games. Obviously Argyle would be different, but it would be rubbish to have a blank weekend and then have a fixture on a work night.

And of course any evening fixture involving Argyle involves extremely inconvenient travel for one set of fans or the other.

Feb 8, 2005
So there will be far less Saturday afternoon matches being played, which means there will be more evening matches on days other than Saturday, and some games even moved to the Sunday.

That is okay for the home supporters, but our away supporters will have great disruption. Just think what time they will get back home from the evening matches. Pretty rough on them, I would think. Would their numbers drop?

Maybe another reason why Sky are increasing the number of matches to be shown live (and therefore more evening matches and less weekend matches, although Sundays might be a little more convenient, dependant on times of matches), in order to encourage more fans to be able to see live football on the tv rather than having the hassle of travelling at the most inconvenient times.

As I understand it, there will be no more Argyle tv live streaming of matches for domestic consumption, even when Sky are not involved, but International consumers can remain able to watch games live streamed on Argyle tv regardless of whether Sky are showing the match or not?

Sky really want to tie up the rights for domestic consumers and want to be the only supplier of EFL football through their television rights. They really are uninterested in the football itself, or the thousands of supporters who are the bread and butter of all of the league clubs, but are only interested in making a profit from their ability to exclusively livestream games at their own discretion as to when the games are to be played.

The EFL (and obviously the majority of clubs that were in favour of voting for the deal) have sold football down the river for the sake of a few bucks, and have given up all rights of showing live games to the thousands of fans who have attended matches, to a company who are only interested in generating as much money as it can, to the detriment of the supporters of the clubs, which is, in my opinion, the start of the downward slippery slope of the game itself.

Sky will suck all of the life blood out of the game. Premiership clubs will always have full attendances to fall back on, but the EFL and its football clubs, especially the smaller ones, will find that Sky's stranglehold on games will slowly reduce their attendances at matches which will further reduce the profitability of the clubs, and the match atmosphere will be reduced such that the company may have to use AI in order to get some sound effects to be transmitted with the televised match. Where will it all end? I can imagine some games being shown similar to the ones we saw during covid when attendances were banned. How can that be good for the game?

Sky have failed to get exclusivity for Premiership games, with other companies winning bids for live streaming as well. Let's hope these other companies don't follow suit and enter the EFL market or it will be a nightmare having to get subscriptions for more than one company just to watch little ol' Argyle on tv, now that our own live streaming on Argyle tv for domestic customers has been excluded. Or maybe that will be the next step, if Sky are seen to be successful in their exclusive showing of EFL matches in this country, others may want to follow.

I dread to think what the EFL have now done (opened the floodgates it would seem) all for the sake of a few dollars. Football is now more interested in gaining more money than improving the nature of the game, especially for its longtime supporters.