Latest blog | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Latest blog

Pootle's Pom Pom

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Mar 13, 2009
Trowbridge or Bristol
pafc_casual":t5ourxrk said:
Pootle's Pom Pom":t5ourxrk said:
pafc_casual":t5ourxrk said:
Bermudian Green":t5ourxrk said:
The Grumpy Loyal":t5ourxrk said:
Bermudian Green":t5ourxrk said:
All looks reasonable enough to me. Tell me grumpy, what experience do you have in the construction industry? Would it be ˜√f*all ?

You really are embarrassing yourself now.

You’re allowed find things disappointing, BG. Even Jon Back, the project manager is disappointed.

I'm sure he is, as are we all, but that's not the point. What experience in the construction industry do you have? I'm intrigued by your involvement in so many multi-million pound contracts which have never run into delays, be that weeks or months, during the snagging process.

I remember when I was snagging the St Andrews, Birmingham City refurb (ooh, look, there's that word again). The roof had leaks all over the place which delayed handover, and when I came to test the plumbing in the new railway end, all the water in the pipes had frozen as the GC had forgotten to add anti-freeze. Aside from the flooding, the delays by the burst pipes was considerable. We won't mention the flooding of the toilets at Preston's new stand either. How about the Wembley delays? Or Spurs? No, it's just Argyle who have delays.

I have an idea - why not get in touch with the club and offer your services as the project Manager? I'm sure they must be begging for someone like you who has so much experience, never had a delay and who has such a shiny, positive outlook on the whole construction process.

Why would there be anti freeze in the pipework??

To stop them freezing.

I get that. However unless the pipework was for Chilled water (cooling) which contains glycol then there would be no anti freeze in any pipework system. Think you’ll find that trace heating is used on all pipework.

I am a mechanical project manager!

I shall bow to your higher knowledge, but I thought that a system like this tended to use antifreeze as the cost of trace heating for the huge system required for a football stand was too high (i.e. radiators 30 feet apart). However, as my experience is in designing the insulation to keep the heat in the boiler in the first place, and not where that heated water goes, as stated I shall defer to you.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I used Glycol on sites many many times bigger than any football stadium. Sometimes low tech is better.

pafc_casual":3bccvtxd said:
I get that. However unless the pipework was for Chilled water (cooling) which contains glycol then there would be no anti freeze in any pipework system. Think you’ll find that trace heating is used on all pipework.

I am a mechanical project manager!

Why don't we ask grumpy? :greensmile:

The system wasn't sealed - it was for the toilets and wash hand basins in the stands. From memory, because the work was being done in the winter, the contractor was to ensure that the water wouldn't freeze in the cisterns and bowls. He must have put something in the cisterns, just not the bowls, because when I went around pulling all the flushes, water ran into the bowls, hit the ice, and promptly made it's escape via the nearest exit.