League 2 and National league or League 2 and 1 to merge | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

League 2 and National league or League 2 and 1 to merge

Apr 15, 2008
London
It has a logic to it. Let’s face it, if some/most clubs aren’t getting any income in the next 6 weeks (be it games or season tickets), they are going to the wall.

Sep 6, 2006
Vampires11":icnren2w said:
I live in Shropshire, and like most exiles the majority of games I go to are away fixtures.........................Home Park is the furthest league ground from my house.
So where is the benefit in a north/ south divide for me and hundreds (thousands?) of others who don't live in Devon?

So they shouldnt regionalise because it doesnt suit your personal travel arrangements....?

I started typing a similar post as Vampires11 yesterday but didn't post it in the end. I currently live in Knaresborough so the idea would be disadventageous for me. I didn't bother posting it in the end as I know any restructure shouldn't centre around me. It's more that I think you would lose something by regionalising the league. As previously mentioned, it's good bonding time for the players when they get to travel together, plus a lot of them are from the north anyway so also get the bonus of seeing their families at matches in locations far-flung from Plymouth. And as a fan, when I lived down south, I always loved travelling to northern away matches. Cheap and often better beer (got my first pint of bitter on a trip to Lincoln when I lived in Oxford), new culinary experiences (got my first taste of chips and gravy on a trip on the supporters' coach to the old Boothferry ground in Hull) and a chance to experience different places (all of you advocating the idea will be ruling out your weekend in Blackpool!)

M

Sep 6, 2006
Martin_Brock":yzgld3gi said:
I started typing a similar post as Vampires11 yesterday but didn't post it in the end. I currently live in Knaresborough so the idea would be disadventageous for me. I didn't bother posting it in the end as I know any restructure shouldn't centre around me. It's more that I think you would lose something by regionalising the league. As previously mentioned, it's good bonding time for the players when they get to travel together, plus a lot of them are from the north anyway so also get the bonus of seeing their families at matches in locations far-flung from Plymouth. And as a fan, when I lived down south, I always loved travelling to northern away matches. Cheap and often better beer (got my first pint of bitter on a trip to Lincoln when I lived in Oxford), new culinary experiences (got my first taste of chips and gravy on a trip on the supporters' coach to the old Boothferry ground in Hull) and a chance to experience different places (all of you advocating the idea will be ruling out your weekend in Blackpool!)

M

None of those points are in any way relevant to the decision.
Nobody has mentioned the possibility of teams going part time in 'the new world'. Players working Friday the having to get to Barrow? Doesnt make sense

D

Darren Stoneman

xmastree":24sqc51i said:
Darren Stoneman":24sqc51i said:
Love the idea, more local derbies, more of a fan connection and less costs, with the exception of the mighty GA away supporters are a dying bread due to cost and distance and more importantly time, a shorter trip will help all bank balances,

How many Torquay fans would come to HP as opposed to those from Barrow

Total sense I& you ask me

More local derbies? Where are they coming from? If L1 and L2 had been regionalised this season, we would have had the benefit of fixtures against Bristol Rovers (120 miles away, is this a local derby?). Apart from Rovers there's no one else in L1 who's within 150 miles. There will also be clubs in the midlands, close to the dividing line, who will actually lose some local derbies due to neighbours being on the other side of the line.

Where you get the idea that GA away supporters are a dying breed, I've no idea. Have you experienced the great atmosphere at some of our away games this season? Don't forget that Argyle has fans living in all areas of the UK, and that the away ends are not populated exclusively by those who have travelled from Devon and Cornwall.

If you read my post, I said with the exception of the GA, away fans are a dying breed :facepalm:

Apr 1, 2009
Darren Stoneman":3w4ivn5e said:
xmastree":3w4ivn5e said:
Darren Stoneman":3w4ivn5e said:
Love the idea, more local derbies, more of a fan connection and less costs, with the exception of the mighty GA away supporters are a dying bread due to cost and distance and more importantly time, a shorter trip will help all bank balances,

How many Torquay fans would come to HP as opposed to those from Barrow

Total sense I& you ask me

More local derbies? Where are they coming from? If L1 and L2 had been regionalised this season, we would have had the benefit of fixtures against Bristol Rovers (120 miles away, is this a local derby?). Apart from Rovers there's no one else in L1 who's within 150 miles. There will also be clubs in the midlands, close to the dividing line, who will actually lose some local derbies due to neighbours being on the other side of the line.

Where you get the idea that GA away supporters are a dying breed, I've no idea. Have you experienced the great atmosphere at some of our away games this season? Don't forget that Argyle has fans living in all areas of the UK, and that the away ends are not populated exclusively by those who have travelled from Devon and Cornwall.

If you read my post, I said with the exception of the GA, away fans are a dying breed :facepalm:

Ok, accept that, though it can read both ways.

If you're saying the GA are unique in travelling such distance to away games, it seems a bit odd to want to do away with such an advantage.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Lundan Cabbie":3vtwzbn9 said:
Returning to regionalisation of the third tier would make the Championship harder to get to.

I can't see the Championship having any more than four relegation places so that means there would be 48 teams chasing 3 or 4 promotion places including those via play-offs.

That is going to mean automatic promotion for the regional champions only.

The play-offs will then either be one promoted from each region if the EFL are relegating four Championship clubs or, if it is only three coming down then play-offs would be one winner from a competition involving clubs from both North and South.

Yep, perfect. Exactly what the 'big' clubs want. Get rid of the 'likes of Argyle' and let's concentrate on the unstoppable avalanche of ££££ that has made the game so much 'better.' The sooner clubs like ours are annexed into our little regional leagues the better...for the elite.

Still, when we're playing Torpoint and Newton Abbot in the South West Super Duper Mega Premier Division, I hope everyone will be happy.

Sep 6, 2006
jespafc":3jxyi1wc said:
Lundan Cabbie":3jxyi1wc said:
Returning to regionalisation of the third tier would make the Championship harder to get to.

I can't see the Championship having any more than four relegation places so that means there would be 48 teams chasing 3 or 4 promotion places including those via play-offs.

The play-offs will then either be one promoted from each region if the EFL are relegating four Championship clubs or, if it is only three coming down then play-offs would be one winner from a competition involving clubs from both North and South.

Yep, perfect. Exactly what the 'big' clubs want. Get rid of the 'likes of Argyle' and let's concentrate on the unstoppable avalanche of ££££ that has made the game so much 'better.' The sooner clubs like ours are annexed into our little regional leagues the better...for the elite.

Still, when we're playing Torpoint and Newton Abbot in the South West Super Duper Mega Premier Division, I hope everyone will be happy.

Makes no sense

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
jespafc":1ihbjglc said:
Lundan Cabbie":1ihbjglc said:

Regionalising of the lower leagues is something the "big" clubs as you call them will have no input, in fact I doubt the likes of Liverpool, United and City would even notice.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Lundan Cabbie":4aclr35q said:
jespafc":4aclr35q said:
Lundan Cabbie":4aclr35q said:

Regionalising of the lower leagues is something the "big" clubs as you call them will have no input, in fact I doubt the likes of Liverpool, United and City would even notice.

Exactly. The less we interfere in their business, the better, as long as we know our place and remain satisfied with the crumbs we receive from their table. Seen, but not heard right now. Neither seen nor heard would be the ideal result for most of the big boys.

May 28, 2019
it may not make much difference to argyle,exeter or torquay travel wise, but sure as hell will to many other teams, majority would vote it in, i feel

Mar 29, 2020
Standard of football in Devon and Cornwall is pretty average.....In my opinion....So don’t ever relate Plymouth Argyle in a Devon and Cornwall League...that’s just insulting.

Rokerite

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Mar 18, 2019
Mark Pedlar":1wm8skj2 said:
Out of Interest does anyone know why North and South divisions were abandoned in the first place?

I'd imagine the fact that only one team out of twenty-four was promoted each season might have had a lot to do with it. With six successive second places in the 1920's no club knew better than yours how galling that could be.
We have regionalised leagues from the sixth tier down and I think that's high enough.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Kersie":nauxxbxj said:
I’m reckon lower League clubs like Torquay probably don’t stay in hotels...go up and back the same day....when they go Barrow and Gateshead they do...but trips under 300 miles they don’t.
Exactly that. I've been in the media team at Gateshead the last couple of seasons. 18/19 in the National League there were 15 clubs in the South/London/South East. Gateshead used hotels twice all season. There were a few clubs who stayed in hotels before (and after) playing Gateshead, but that was mainly because they used it for team bonding and went for a night out in Newcastle after the game.