League two possession football | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

League two possession football

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I'm loving the football and also loving that it is Argyle (my team) that are playing this way. I am sure that it is the right way to go and feel that we just have to keep sticking to the plan and slowly iterating the team to become better and better at it.

The key for me is whether we can slip past the first line of the press quickly. Too often last night the ball was played through to a midfield player facing towards our goal but that player then did not quickly play the ball on or turn past his marker. Rather, the ball was often played back to the defender. Sometimes this happened repeatedly and every time the press was not quickly bypassed the pressure on the receiving player increased and the space they had to operate in was reduced. I thought that Crawley executed their plan VERY well, not only pressing our defenders and goalkeeper but also having a second line of press on the receiving midfielder. So, we need to get better at flicking the ball on through the midfield (e.g. out to the wing back), or turning past the pressing player into space (which is what Mayor does so well). Most of our problems last night came from mistakes we made because players were, or had been, under pressure in this way and at times players seemed to become completely paralysed by this. But it will get steadily better (and already has done).

Jan 27, 2012
I like passing football- especially in midfield and attack.

But I don't think its a very good idea to encourage central defenders to pass it around near their own penalty box- especially with these lower division, lower standard players.

It looks very pretty when it works, but its unnecessarily risky. Put the ball into a safe area and THEN start passing it around !

Mar 14, 2009
I think people have raised some very interesting points. Like the tempo we pass at.

Again, l would point out that as we play out from the back, having CB’s comfortable on the ball would help. Not only to pass the ball but bring the ball out. I hope over time we shall see a quicker tempo.

This has always been my point this season. We don’t really have the players to do this without taking huge gambles that the mistakes they make won’t get punished. So to be where we are in the league l think is very good considering what Lowe has at his disposal in certain areas.

I look at that defence and it just can’t cope with fast, counter attacks. Yet as shown in the last two games they are suspect at aerial duels. We shouldn’t forget this current defence conceded over 80 plus goals last season. There was never going to be a quick fix. An improvement has happened because of better coaching and a lower standard of football though.

I think in an idea world maybe we should play our football more in the final third but as the last two games have shown the goals we conceded are more our inability to deal with crosses.

lm enjoying this season because if we go up it will be brilliant but if we don’t then hopefully with so many out of contract players we can get people more suited to the playing style.

I know winning is everything to the majority of football fans but l feel like l go to games know at least every game we will give it a go albeit giving teams easy counter attack opportunities to score.

Oct 31, 2015
100% agree with MGM

There were too many part timers sat around us last night who I don't see on a Saturday shouting for the ball to be pumped up field. When I questioned one said part timer and asked him to who should the keeper aim at, he didn't even know the players.

That and the booing at the end (yea there were a few) got my blood pressure right up.

I am really enjoying everything that is happening around the club and on the field this season, the last time I could say that fully was in the Championship.

Well done to MGM for laying it out for Janners " lump it upfield and in the mixer" can read. :nworthy:

Jan 27, 2012
I think about some of the more successful managers that Argyle have ever had- Smith, Sturrock, Warnock etc. Did they get ask the defenders to pass it across their own penalty box ? And before I'm told that football has moved on since these people managed, Warnock was working wonders at Cardiff until very recently.

I like passing football, its good, but it has to be implemented in the right way. Niall Canavan is not Virgil van Dyke.

May 16, 2016
Last night we saw the Blueprint to be followed by every other L2 Club when they play us.

Press us and deny any time on the ball. There seems to be an obligation for Palmer to play the Goal kicks short regardless of any lurking opposition. I contrasted the difference whereby when we had a goal kick, most of the Crawley Team were in our half with 3 pushed up on our 3 Defenders and little space for the Midfield as they waited for the inevitable pass across the Box from Palmer. Crawleys Goal Kicks would see their Defenders almost up to the Halfway line leaving virtually no one other than their Keeper in that side of the Pitch. They basically stuck everyone in our half for every Goal kick, theirs or ours.

As nice as the passing style is on the eye, it wouldn't hurt to occasionally remember this is L2 and it can't be lovely all the time. I thought that we were commited to playing good Football but Crawley were commited to winning, there's times when it needs to be decided which is most important.

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
gaspargomez":2kug879r said:
I think about some of the more successful managers that Argyle have ever had- Smith, Sturrock, Warnock etc. Did they get ask the defenders to pass it across their own penalty box ? And before I'm told that football has moved on since these people managed, Warnock was working wonders at Cardiff until very recently.

I like passing football, its good, but it has to be implemented in the right way. Niall Canavan is not Virgil van Dyke.
No more like Dick van Dyke

Mar 14, 2009
gaspargomez":2gr7iyqv said:

I agree about mixing it up at times.

I would say if we remember the start of the season alot of the time we had Edwards at CDM and numerous times he get caught with the ball as the one of the CB's gave him a hospital ball.

Now we see more Sawyer and Wootton have the ball and they hit the channels with longer balls. This happens more than it did at the start of the season. Unfortunately, those longer balls aren't the greatest at times.

Hopefully we will evolve more, if not by the end of the season, at least into the next one.