Leitch Stand | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Leitch Stand

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
There is lots of confusion as to what should or should not be deemed a Leitch stand.

Obviously those bespoke versions where the great man was on site during construction can safely make the claim.

I’m on the fence on whether a stand built to specifications of a former and deceased architect can be counted as a Leitch original.

If somebody was to build a stand today in 2019 exactly to Archibald Leitch’s plans and designs of 100 years ago, I would be uneasy calling it a Leitch original. Does the same apply to builds in1954? I guess the difference back then was, his company was still alive and kicking following his death.

My conclusion. The grandstand at HP is a great example of the man’s work and despite the current renovations, the Leitch viewing angle will remain which gave a fantastic view of pitches everywhere they were constructed.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yeah, the fact that it was literally designed by the Leitch & Partners company makes it black and white.

If it looks like a Leitch stand, smells like a Leitch stand, and was designed by the Leitch company... I think it's safe to call it a Leitch stand.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Biggs":1o2t5bxc said:
You're a strange poster :lol: ;)

I assumed with your intense interest in the grandstand, you were quite keen on it. And why the hell would you prefer a generic Doncaster type ground?

Also, it just IS a Leitch & Partners stand, that's a fact.

I am immensely interested in our new grandstand because it will be a great improvement on what was there. I enjoy Bob and Steve's efforts when it comes to seeing the update. Once the update is done it will no longer be a L&P stand, with the new roof, new posh seating and dining area, and the old frontage covered by adverts it will not look like one.

I would indeed have preferred to see the design for completing the oval realised with a two-tier new stand and the corners wrapped around to make a composite whole. I am realistic enough to accept that it is unaffordable unless we have a multi-billionaire willing to fund it and Argyle.

When I first saw the horseshoe complete it was a moment of disbelief for me as I had never expected to see HP redeveloped in my lifetime.

I sat in the Grandstand only once in my life, some time in the 60s for a youth international. For the rest of my visits to HP before the rebuild I either stood in the DE with my father or on the Lyndhurst with my Uncle. I still find it hard to accept that I have seen HP modernised and now starting to look old again.