Lewis Page on trial (signs with Exeter) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lewis Page on trial (signs with Exeter)

Jan 4, 2016
Absolutely bizarre. Does he not back himself to do a job with us for 6 months and earn a contract extension?
I can't understand it. Are Exeter the aforementioend "good team" that Lowey said offered him a contract? Why would he be trialing if so..?

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Tiverton 1 Exeter 2 at FT

Aug 5, 2016
Joseveth":2ns7vev5 said:
Absolutely bizarre. Does he not back himself to do a job with us for 6 months and earn a contract extension?
I can't understand it. Are Exeter the aforementioend "good team" that Lowey said offered him a contract? Why would he be trialing if so..?

What is "bizarre" about prioritising job security? Seems a perfectly rational thought process to choose 12 months employment over the offer of 6.

I thought Jose Baxter was a tidy player but Ryan Lowe didn't throw a new contract at him. What is he up to now?

Jan 4, 2016
Knibbsworth":13dptfis said:
Joseveth":13dptfis said:

What is "bizarre" about prioritising job security? Seems a perfectly rational thought process to choose 12 months employment over the offer of 6.

I thought Jose Baxter was a tidy player but Ryan Lowe didn't throw a new contract at him. What is he up to now?

Sure, I certainly agree with the sentiment. Wouldn't we have offered the security of an extension however should he stay injury free? He must be very nervous of his prior injuries.

I've said on here before that his next choice in club is critical in his development and he'll be wanting to prove his quality.
From what Lowe said, it appeared another club offered him a contract that enticised him more; so why the need to trial at Exeter this evening?

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Knibbsworth":ajxj51d2 said:
I thought Jose Baxter was a tidy player but Ryan Lowe didn't throw a new contract at him. What is he up to now?[/quote:ajxj51d2 said:
He is now a member of Memphis 901 of the USL he played in 2 games in Feb and March, before Covid halted play and has been a unused sub since the season restarted in July.

Aug 5, 2016
Ottawa Green":qopj8hgx said:
Knibbsworth":qopj8hgx said:
I thought Jose Baxter was a tidy player but Ryan Lowe didn't throw a new contract at him. What is he up to now?[/quote:qopj8hgx said:
He is now a member of Memphis 901 of the USL he played in 2 games in Feb and March, before Covid halted play and has been a unused sub since the season restarted in July.

I mean, that must emphasise how sporadic the nature of contract offers in the lower leagues can be.

He took a short term deal with Argyle, committed to proving himself, and instead of seeing the season out and delivering Lowe's pre-season goal of promotion to League One, he finds himself furloughed in a one bedroom flat in Tennessee and bottom of some low-tier American league.

And that is the difference between being given a contract offer by a club that values you and believes in you, and going down the path if proving your worth by accepting 3-6 month deals at perhaps bigger clubs. It isn't about not being prepared to roll your sleeves up - footballers careers are short and they have to do what is best for them.

Put it this way. Exeter are a small club unable to offer Page anything that Argyle can't, which goes to show that Lowe's offer isn't a good one. A small club with half the attendances a division down can offer better terms.

Aug 5, 2015
And of course there’s the slight drawback that he doesn’t want to play as a wing back and wants to play as a traditional left back - according to Lowe. Therefore he wouldn’t fit into Lowe’s system.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Also, playing the wing back role in RL’s system requires speed, fitness and stamina. Considering Page’s recent injury record, it seemed reasonable and sensible to offer him a short term contract to enable him to prove his fitness over a sustained period.

May 8, 2011
Joseveth":eil74mju said:

McLeod took our offer of a 1 year contract rather than take the chance of a trial at a Championship side, probably because he preferred the guarantee of a year’s pay even though it means dropping down a league.

Jul 14, 2008
HC Green":2hl8lfz2 said:
Joseveth":2hl8lfz2 said:

McLeod took our offer of a 1 year contract rather than take the chance of a trial at a Championship side, probably because he preferred the guarantee of a year’s pay even though it means dropping down a league.
There’s a huge difference between a trial which may well lead to nothing and a firm 6 month contract offer though.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Herts_Green":bax8g1vc said:
There’s a huge difference between a trial which may well lead to nothing and a firm 6 month contract offer though.

There is also a difference between giving yourself a chance to shine in L1 and playing for Etcetera in L2, where everyone will say "well it is L2!"

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Herts_Green":3maez64a said:
HC Green":3maez64a said:
Joseveth":3maez64a said:

Good point. There is also the point that Exeter is a lower league club to factor in. Should Page fail to get a longer contract, it will not do much for his confidence!

May 8, 2011
Quintrell_Green":1ljx295d said:
Herts_Green":1ljx295d said:
HC Green":1ljx295d said:
Joseveth":1ljx295d said:

Good point. There is also the point that Exeter is a lower league club to factor in. Should Page fail to get a longer contract, it will not do much for his confidence!

If he is only on trial at Exeter then Lowe was incorrect when he said Page turned down our offer because another one had offered him a longer contract.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Perhaps someone offered him a longer contract AND he is on trial at Exeter. Or perhaps Exeter offered him a longer contract and HE is trialing them. All kinds of possibilities exist that don’t imply Ryan Lowe said something misleading.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
The Doctor":1djsoczt said:
Perhaps someone offered him a longer contract AND he is on trial at Exeter. Or perhaps Exeter offered him a longer contract and HE is trialing them. All kinds of possibilities exist that don’t imply Ryan Lowe said something misleading.

Exactly. I do not blame RL for being cautious with a possible signature for a player, who has had a difficult injury record. If they are subsequently injured again long term, and cannot play, it is wages floating under Saltash Bridge. Some of us are old enough to remember the gross errors in the signatures of Peacock and Alan Sealey