LGE 1 Players | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

LGE 1 Players

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Whilst there were a number of differences to that time (certainly off the pitch), comparisons could be made on the pitch between the past few years and 1995-97.

We went down, then under a new manager went back up, which (without wanting to take too much away from Warnock/Lowe's achievements) was very much the expectation rather than being an unexpected surprise.

The first season back up, relegation avoided, but not without a bit of a struggle (albeit another difference being that we changed manager in 96/97). We then went down in 97/98 - I sincerely hope that next season doesn't continue the pattern...

Jan 27, 2012
I think Argyle has some very good attacking players. Hardie, Ennis, G.Cooper and Mayor clearly have talent and are quality League One footballers. Jephcott has proven that he can finish when given chances.

I think the strengthening needs to happen in midfield and certainly defence. The team needs some steel in those areas.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
DartingtonPilgrim":2n5ilwic said:
Whilst every club in the country has had to cope with coronavirus during the last year , it is possible that Argyle may have been a little more affected . Our problems this season are largely down to individual errors , quite often by inexperienced players , many of whom are on loan at the club . I have just looked at a map of the country showing all League 1 clubs , there are 4 teams Argyle ,Sunderland , Bristol Rovers and Portsmouth that are somewhat isolated from the rest of the clubs in League 1, of those 4 clubs we are the only ones that do not have at the very least a Championship or league 1 club within 100 miles. Isn't it possible that due to coronavirus , we were unable to entice more experienced players to leave their families from other parts of the country , when these players could sign for clubs more local to their home during this awful time .
We have had some terrible results this season , but with a reasonable possibility of staying in the division , hopefully our manager can rectify all of our weaknesses over the summer and we can look forward to progressing next season.

The converse of this of course is the theory that Plymouth is remote with plenty of fresh air off both the sea and moor. One only had to see the daily 'heat maps' with the Covid Press Conferences to demonstrate that the virus was not infecting the population of the far SW as badly as the North and the Midlands. One would think players would have been keen to move their families in this direction to reduce the risk of contagion.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Quintrell_Green":36i75tqn said:
DartingtonPilgrim":36i75tqn said:
Whilst every club in the country has had to cope with coronavirus during the last year , it is possible that Argyle may have been a little more affected . Our problems this season are largely down to individual errors , quite often by inexperienced players , many of whom are on loan at the club . I have just looked at a map of the country showing all League 1 clubs , there are 4 teams Argyle ,Sunderland , Bristol Rovers and Portsmouth that are somewhat isolated from the rest of the clubs in League 1, of those 4 clubs we are the only ones that do not have at the very least a Championship or league 1 club within 100 miles. Isn't it possible that due to coronavirus , we were unable to entice more experienced players to leave their families from other parts of the country , when these players could sign for clubs more local to their home during this awful time .
We have had some terrible results this season , but with a reasonable possibility of staying in the division , hopefully our manager can rectify all of our weaknesses over the summer and we can look forward to progressing next season.

The converse of this of course is the theory that Plymouth is remote with plenty of fresh air off both the sea and moor. One only had to see the daily 'heat maps' with the Covid Press Conferences to demonstrate that the virus was not infecting the population of the far SW as badly as the North and the Midlands. One would think players would have been keen to move their families in this direction to reduce the risk of contagion.

That could be the case QG , although I wonder how many wives and young children would want to be in lockdown as we were for parts of last year far from their friends and family with no idea how long it would last .

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Cooper
Aimson
Grant
Edwards
Camara
Ennis

Those are the players who I think would comfortably get picked to start by other L1 clubs. Hardie & Jephcott would be on that list at their best but that isn't quite often enough. I suspect G. Cooper would be there as well but I haven't seen enough of him at this level.