Living in Hope | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Living in Hope

Jun 27, 2019
Lundan Cabbie":12p56tcc said:
WoodsyGreen":12p56tcc said:
Devongreenowl":12p56tcc said:
IJN":12p56tcc said:
I am glad for them and very very jealous.

Very, very honest. :thumbup:

We're all jealous of Brentford, but it goes without saying really. Just like we're jealous of Hull, Swansea, Wigan, Blackpool, Huddersfield, Bournemouth and so on and so on. All clubs who aren't (in the modern era at least) any bigger or better than us but have managed to break into the promised land.

Brentford are just the latest in a long line of clubs to beat us to it. Frustrating doesn't do it justice.

The Premier League is fifty up with Brentford gaining their new status. 50 clubs in 30 seasons whereas only 60 different clubs made it to the First Division in over 100 years before the split in 1992. That means statistically it is now easier to get there than it ever was pre Premier League.

And yet we seem further away than ever.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Lundan Cabbie":1o1vb5xy said:
WoodsyGreen":1o1vb5xy said:
Devongreenowl":1o1vb5xy said:
IJN":1o1vb5xy said:

We're all jealous of Brentford, but it goes without saying really. Just like we're jealous of Hull, Swansea, Wigan, Blackpool, Huddersfield, Bournemouth and so on and so on. All clubs who aren't (in the modern era at least) any bigger or better than us but have managed to break into the promised land.

Brentford are just the latest in a long line of clubs to beat us to it. Frustrating doesn't do it justice.

The Premier League is fifty up with Brentford gaining their new status. 50 clubs in 30 seasons whereas only 60 different clubs made it to the First Division in over 100 years before the split in 1992. That means statistically it is now easier to get there than it ever was pre Premier League.

Good point Lundan, but I suppose allowance needs to be made for the very many seasons during that 100 years when only two teams were promoted from the second tier?

May 22, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":25utz5m0 said:
WoodsyGreen":25utz5m0 said:
Devongreenowl":25utz5m0 said:
IJN":25utz5m0 said:

Your stat misses the fact that nearly half of the 50 teams were in the Premier League in its inaugural season. Can’t remember if it started with 24 or 22 teams but it has taken 30 years at less than one per season to reach 50.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Mark58":4lu17hpu said:
Lundan Cabbie":4lu17hpu said:
WoodsyGreen":4lu17hpu said:
Devongreenowl":4lu17hpu said:
IJN":4lu17hpu said:

Good point Lundan, but I suppose allowance needs to be made for the very many seasons during that 100 years when only two teams were promoted from the second tier?

Of the 50 clubs, only 5 (Swindon, Blackpool, Swansea, Huddersfield and now Brentford) have been there without gaining a place via automatic promotion.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Mark58":2srgx2ow said:
Lundan Cabbie":2srgx2ow said:
WoodsyGreen":2srgx2ow said:
Devongreenowl":2srgx2ow said:
IJN":2srgx2ow said:

It was 22. Only six of those have never been relegated and only four never returned after dropping out.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Brentford have been very astute in their transfer dealings.

Watkins being a prime example. They have also made significant profits on other players, but, the system only works because of their "succession" planning. So, £35m Watkins replaced by £5m Toney with add-ons to follow for the Posh. Toney got 31 goals this season.

Probably not easy to consistently achieve this kind of successfully recruitment but, fair play to them I think.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Devongreenowl":3ctk0iiv said:
Not being funny, but Argyle have struggled to keep up with Exeter on the youth side. Imagine what it was like trying to compete with Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and all the other PL sides in the London area for young players. Don’t blame Brentford at all for scrapping their youth system. They’ve found a way that really works for them. As for signing lots of foreign players - I seem to recall Argyle being a very cosmopolitan outfit in those far off championship days. Brentford - some mediocre club!

I’d say had struggled to keep up with Exeter’s youth. I believe we are now produced more and better players than them.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
cheshiregreen":3p6shhtq said:
Brentford have been very astute in their transfer dealings.

Watkins being a prime example. They have also made significant profits on other players, but, the system only works because of their "succession" planning. So, £35m Watkins replaced by £5m Toney with add-ons to follow for the Posh. Toney got 31 goals this season.

Probably not easy to consistently achieve this kind of successfully recruitment but, fair play to them I think.

That’s what top-notch data analytics coupled with a west London location and plenty of money to invest gets you.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Does anyone know what year the English league 2 (second tier) went to 3 promotion places from 2 promotions to gain entry to the top league ?

Any links would be great if able :thumbup:

Many thanks, JIC

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
JannerinCardiff":2tp4cmke said:
Does anyone know what year the English league 2 (second tier) went to 3 promotion places from 2 promotions to gain entry to the top league ?

Many thanks, JIC

1973/74 season was the first year and it continued for 13 years. The idea was to reduce the number of end of season dead rubber matches but proved to make little difference so in 1986/87 the play-offs were introduced.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Lundan Cabbie":2q78xddr said:
JannerinCardiff":2q78xddr said:

Many thanks, JIC

1973/74 season was the first year and it continued for 13 years. The idea was to reduce the number of end of season dead rubber matches but proved to make little difference so in 1986/87 the play-offs were introduced.

ta Lundan.. :thumbup:

Jan 20, 2004
Pogleswoody":28jhp314 said:
Living in Hope may be a tad unrealistic.
We may have to settle for Living in Hooe. :coat:

If Hope is living with you in Hooe, Who is living without Hope and where ?

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Hope is a commuter town and district municipality at the confluence of the Fraser and Coquihalla rivers in the province of British Columbia, Canada. Hope is at the eastern end of both the Fraser Valley and the Lower Mainland region, and is at the southern end of the Fraser Canyon.

One helluva trip for home games. :twisted: