Lolos and Peck join Dorchester on loan | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lolos and Peck join Dorchester on loan

Jan 21, 2007
I absolutely agree with all of the posts questioning our youth progression ... considering the Club big-up our youth structure, and regularly write positive articles about individual players doing well, our conversion into the 1st team is shocking.

Individual players, (Harvey, Fletcher and Rooney are classic examples) bounce wide-eyed onto the first rung of a pro-contract with Argyle, are fed scraps, have their confidence drained out of them, and get bombed out. Does anyone excel when they're continually told their not good enough, and not trusted? ... bouncing them on and off the bench each week, without giving them a fair chance in a game, giving them a game where they play brilliantly (Harvey and Rooney) and then discarding them, sending them off to pub sides (like Dorchester Town ... sorry Dorchester, but Jesus H ... ) must kill a 18/19 year olds confidence.

Cameron Sangster? ... there's a player in there ... wasted!!! ... Harvey? ... the best player i've seen come through our youth system since Gosling. Where would Gosling be now if we'd shipped him out to Dorchester or Truro instead of giving him a chance?

Lolos? ... that kid''s got real talent, and a physical presence above his years ... he should be here, getting 90 minutes in that twit of a cup we played last Tuesday ... and Taylor, Grant, Moore, and Co, should know that when that kid starts getting in ahead of them, he stays in, he's the one pushing you ... at the moment, no one's pushing them, they have it far to easy ...

Billy Clarke or Lolos??? :doh:

Jan 21, 2007
Oh, and in anticipation of the regular posters saying what they usually say about our youth products not getting a game because they're not good enough ... Harvey and Rooney were discarded in favour of Jimmy Spencer and Jordan Slew ... Lolos has been elbowed out because we now have Billy Clarke ... Peck isn't being trusted because we have Wootton, Canavan and Riley (all not good enough and will be gone by June) ... Purrington and Randell don't get a kick (despite the management team hyping them up in pre-season) because the Home Park revolving door let a couple short-term journeymen slip in ahead of them ...

:sigh:

May 16, 2016
MarkMatthews":1uzv66oh said:
Knibbsworth":1uzv66oh said:
So we take out the Jamaica international Joel Grant and stick in the Truro centre forward to get his 5 goals in 55 appearances at this level (two against a disinterested Hartlepool). And go back to dominating like the last time Harvey had a run in the Argyle team - which if I remember correctly was losing week in week out under Fletcher?

As soon as a competent manager with a budget came in to sort out the mess, the likes of Harvey and Young were released for a good reason. They weren't good enough and there were better players out there e.g. Reuben Reid, Lewis Allesandra, Bobby Reid, Conor Hourihane etc.

Some of that team Harvey played in now play in the Premier League and Championship, supporting Sheridan's judgement and decision making, yet some always obsess about the lads we released into non-league and stayed there as an obvious mistake. It is very strange.

If Tyler Harvey had Jamaican parents, him and his brother would be internationals. That day all three goal scorers had links to the Argyle academy, we won 3-0. Tyler just dipped out on luck not ability. He had a lack of chances, how many of his appearances were 10 minutes or less!?

How come Tyler Harvey's fantastic attitude and ability has seen him drift about in Non League but Isaac Vassells took him (excluding loans) from us via Truro to Luton and beyond ?

Sometimes even the local heroes just don't cut the mustard, regardless of Manager. It's OK, after saying It a few times, the pain will ease.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Good luck to the young men in Dorchester. I hope they show what they are about.

On matters Harvey. I'm lucky enough to say the guy is a bit of a friend, I don't like many people but he is a great kid, with a gentle unassuming nature who never let hype get to him, despite much of it from many angles. Maybe too nice for the pro game was always my thought, but being a great human is far more important than professional football progression. I'd like to see him have another pop at it, but if far rather see him as happy as he is now, enjoying the game and growing into a wonderful, inspirational young man. My son has grown up around him (took him to his first game v Hartlepool) and kicked the ball about in the park with him...if my boy turns into half the fella Ty is I will be very proud. Sometimes (all the time) 'making it' inst anywhere near as important as being happy and healthy. I hope the young men that leave argyle get the chance to be happy.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
If young players are good enough and more importantly have determination and desire to succeed , they will benefit from going out on loan, hopefully getting regular game time and experiencing a more physical environment than youth football.

As a manager, when you're judged on results, you can't afford the luxury of trying to bring a unproven young player on with regular first team starts.

I think this is a real opportunity for Lolos in particular to develop himself.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
earl grey":12soyhfr said:

On matters Harvey. I'm lucky enough to say the guy is a bit of a friend, I don't like many people but he is a great kid, with a gentle unassuming nature who never let hype get to him, despite much of it from many angles. Maybe too nice for the pro game was always my thought, but being a great human is far more important than professional football progression. I'd like to see him have another pop at it, but if far rather see him as happy as he is now, enjoying the game and growing into a wonderful, inspirational young man. My son has grown up around him (took him to his first game v Hartlepool) and kicked the ball about in the park with him...if my boy turns into half the fella Ty is I will be very proud. Sometimes (all the time) 'making it' inst anywhere near as important as being happy and healthy. I hope the young men that leave argyle get the chance to be happy.
:clap: Great post Brett.I'm not sure if it's an English "thing" or a global human trait but there are people out there who want you to fail,the sad so and so's.Take care mate.

May 8, 2011
Next weekend will be a test to see if any of the loaned out players have a future at Argyle.
Argyle are due to play Everton away next Sunday in the PL Cup. So will Argyle pull the loaned players out of their Saturday matches to play them on Sunday, expect them to play on Saturday then travel up to Southport to play again on Sunday or not select them.

Aug 5, 2015
I think that the current transfer system along with the pressure on managers by boards and fans to succeed yesterday plays against the introduction of young players. Why give game time to someone who might or might not make it when you can easily sign someone who already has. Only the really poo clubs like Exeter can introduce young players as they can’t afford to pay more experienced players. What it needs is a change in the rules to make all clubs field a certain number of players under a certain age. Then younger players might get more of a chance. However just because you’re good enough to play in a eg a Championship Academy team doesn’t mean you’re good enough to play first team football. That needs to be recognised too.

May 16, 2016
Steve Evans":1kwhxj2x said:
earl grey":1kwhxj2x said:

:clap: Great post Brett.I'm not sure if it's an English "thing" or a global human trait but there are people out there who want you to fail,the sad so and so's.Take care mate.

Maybe a good time for people to stop banging his drum and just let the young man enjoy his life as he sees fit.