Long ball - why? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Long ball - why?

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Just read an article about Tafari Moore on the Herald.. on why he left Arsenal. He cane partly because Argyle play football apparently.. well J think we need CB’s to not play long ball for that to happen Tafari - something Adams needs to sort out I think.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
If we ARE going to play a lot of long balls then it would also help if Ryan Taylor stopped trying to win fouls all the time and actually tried to win the ball a bit more.

Sep 6, 2006
The Doctor":2gkgjlf2 said:
If we ARE going to play a lot of long balls then it would also help if Ryan Taylor stopped trying to win fouls all the time and actually tried to win the ball a bit more.

Taylor wins numerous fouls to get us higher up the pitch. If we haven't got defenders who can pass it may be one of our few ways of doing so.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
JannerinCardiff":3e2fvzei said:
I really think DA has made a mistake not bringing in at least 1 CB who has more pace (but possibly less aerial ability) who can pass the ball and is decent when pressured. He has brought in 3 CB’s none of which are quickish nor possess that sort of ability on the ball to help us build from the back.

It is early days though, maybe a decent partnership can be formed with more time..

This for me.
The centre back pairing, on first impressions, looks vastly inferior to the Bradley / Vyner partnership at the end of last season. We've gone backwards at centre back in terms of mobility, pace and distribution
On first impressions I'd also say we've gone backwards at right back too after Threlkeld.
The only improvement across the goalkeeper and defence currently looks like being the lad at left back

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
up_the_line":22l935i0 said:
JannerinCardiff":22l935i0 said:
I really think DA has made a mistake not bringing in at least 1 CB who has more pace (but possibly less aerial ability) who can pass the ball and is decent when pressured. He has brought in 3 CB’s none of which are quickish nor possess that sort of ability on the ball to help us build from the back.

It is early days though, maybe a decent partnership can be formed with more time..

This for me.
The centre back pairing, on first impressions, looks vastly inferior to the Bradley / Vyner partnership at the end of last season. We've gone backwards at centre back in terms of mobility, pace and distribution
On first impressions I'd also say we've gone backwards at right back too after Threlkeld.
The only improvement across the goalkeeper and defence currently looks like being the lad at left back

What's Macey done wrong?

MOTM in both of our opening games for me.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Cobi Budge":30ii2bw9 said:
up_the_line":30ii2bw9 said:
JannerinCardiff":30ii2bw9 said:

This for me.

What's Macey done wrong?

Looked very dodgy when he spilled the ball from a routine shot first half... Fortunately the striker following up was offside otherwise we'd have been one down. Punched an easy catch and 30 seconds later we concede a penalty.

Sorry if I came away not quite as besotted as you, but I'm definitely not convinced after that afternoon

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
up_the_line":m0oc122z said:
Cobi Budge":m0oc122z said:
up_the_line":m0oc122z said:
JannerinCardiff":m0oc122z said:

This for me.

What's Macey done wrong?

Looked very dodgy when he spilled the ball from a routine shot first half... Fortunately the striker following up was offside otherwise we'd have been one down. Punched an easy catch and 30 seconds later we concede a penalty.

He also made a number of good saves which kept us in the game.

It's not Macey's fault Taylor decided to needlessly drag his man to the ground.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Cobi Budge":1cc9djh1 said:
up_the_line":1cc9djh1 said:
Cobi Budge":1cc9djh1 said:
up_the_line":1cc9djh1 said:
JannerinCardiff":1cc9djh1 said:

This for me.

What's Macey done wrong?

OK so a keeper makes 2 howlers costing his club 2 goals but because he saved some other shots he had a good game in your book?
In that case Karius had a blinder in the champions league final. OK he ballsed up twice spectacularly but he saved a few others. 9/10

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
up_the_line":1qia6usd said:
Cobi Budge":1qia6usd said:
Cobi Budge":1qia6usd said:
JannerinCardiff":1qia6usd said:

This for me.

What's Macey done wrong?

OK so a keeper makes 2 howlers costing his club 2 goals but because he saved some other shots he had a good game in your book?
In that case Karius had a blinder in the champions league final. OK he ballsed up twice spectacularly but he saved a few others. 9/10

He didn't cost us any goals.

The first was ruled out for offside.

And the penalty was Taylor's error. You can't blame every player who happened to touch the ball in the run up to Taylor's clumsy foul.

For me, bar the one fumble which was offside, Macey looks like a confident, able keeper. I like Matthews but he made a number of errors last season worse or equal to Macey's yesterday.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
If he hadn't punched then we're not talking about Taylor hauling a player down for a penalty because we're up the other end after a kick from hands.
The spill from a soft shot directly to a striker is worrying.
I don't recall any specific saves where I thought he shouldnt have been saving it
I didn't say he's crap, I just rate Matthews as better overall based on the 2 occasions I've seen macey play to date
I note you don't disagree with the rest, ie. the back 4 is weaker than last season.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Cobi Budge":1po3v924 said:
up_the_line":1po3v924 said:
JannerinCardiff":1po3v924 said:

This for me.

What's Macey done wrong?

You said Smith-Brown was your man of the match at Walsall.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
up_the_line":chyxwhcn said:
If he hadn't punched then we're not talking about Taylor hauling a player down for a penalty because we're up the other end after a kick from hands.
I don't recall any specific saves where I thought he shouldnt have been saving it
I didn't say he's crap, I just rate Matthews as better overall based on the 2 occasions I've seen macey play to date
I note you don't disagree with the rest, ie. the back 4 is weaker than last season.

I think he got down quickly to 3 or 4 shots that other keepers may have conceded. Really difficult to compare keepers if one lets it in but the other saves it. I'm in the Spion/Lyndhurst and was behind a couple of shots into the BP end that I thought were in tbh!

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Pogleswoody":2sw4bj1x said:
up_the_line":2sw4bj1x said:

I think he got down quickly to 3 or 4 shots that other keepers may have conceded. Really difficult to compare keepers if one lets it in but the other saves it. I'm in the Spion/Lyndhurst and was behind a couple of shots into the BP end that I thought were in tbh!

I'll bow to your judgement on that then. Unfortunately I think he'll have to be doing a lot of last gasp stuff with the centre halves in front of him so hopefully snap shots and one on one's are a specialty
Really hoping Grant and Canavan (?) have some pace or mobility to bring to that position, or at least an ounce of distribution

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
up_the_line":c8pisrye said:
Pogleswoody":c8pisrye said:
up_the_line":c8pisrye said:

I'll bow to your judgement on that then. Unfortunately I think he'll have to be doing a lot of last gasp stuff with the centre halves in front of him so hopefully snap shots and one on one's are a specialty

Well he gets down well and fast hands for a big guy but, I agree, he shouldn't have punched a swirling ball unless he can get it clean and the initial spill was worrying. But I saw Le Keeper's first game and watched him through my fingers most of the game, he turned out alright.

We need a steady back 4 + keeper, a few steady games and orf we jolly well go!! :scarf:

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Pogleswoody":387qtw4w said:
up_the_line":387qtw4w said:
Pogleswoody":387qtw4w said:
up_the_line":387qtw4w said:

Well he gets down well and fast hands for a big guy but, I agree, he shouldn't have punched a swirling ball unless he can get it clean and the initial spill was worrying. But I saw Le Keeper's first game and watched him through my fingers most of the game, he turned out alright.

We need a steady back 4 + keeper, a few steady games and orf we jolly well go!! :scarf:

Having said all the above I was impressed by the left back who seemed beyond his years. Perhaps there's a possibility for Sawyer to slot in at left centre back?? He's running out of pace a bit to play full back (although not to the degree some people say) but his reading of the game and positional sense are good enough at centre back and on first impressions he's as mobile as Wootton