Mariner next out the door?? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mariner next out the door??

B

bandwagon

Plympton Pong":3re3btvn said:
bandwagon":3re3btvn said:
Good - another one off the wage bill!! Was a early hero of mine but the guy has done sweet nothing since he came in!!

I wonder what Mariner has to say about your work productivity levels? :roll:

Be flattered he even knew me - he'd have every right criticise me though!!

F

fieldmouse

X Isle":3bi1iyc6 said:
Jenkins":3bi1iyc6 said:
Keepitgreen":3bi1iyc6 said:
"Also can't blame Mariner for trying to jump off the literal and metaphorical sinking ship that is Plymouth Argyle."
4th post down:

The Voyagers

Cheeky bar steward. Thinks he knows English football, Argyle would destroy their team even in our current situation.

But Mariner doesn't know English football either, that's a big part of our problems. Plenty of people seem to hold a big grudge for Stapleton bringing back a 'mate' but at least he was tried and trusted. Toddy though plucked his boyhood hero from a footballing backwater where he was so far from the pulse of English football it might just have been declared dead. He was unqualified, inexperienced, tactically vacant, a square peg in a round hole forced in with just hope for the best. It was a spectacular misjudgement to bring him here and it's been downhill ever since.
Nevermind drive him to the airport myself, i'll fekkin' row him across the atlantic and carry him to whatever club over there will have him.

Completely agree. His appointment at Argyle was a big surprise, he's never shown any real quality or leadership as a coach and he only fetched up again in Plymouth by a fluke. He was brought in to add weight ( as a known , but not famous ex-England international ) to the ridiculous World Cup Bid. The stupidity and naivety of his appointment at Argyle has always been beyond belief. He always comes across as a nice guy and I hope for his sake he gets the Toronto job.

Aug 7, 2010
fieldmouse":3h3tvtub said:
X Isle":3h3tvtub said:
Jenkins":3h3tvtub said:
Keepitgreen":3h3tvtub said:
"Also can't blame Mariner for trying to jump off the literal and metaphorical sinking ship that is Plymouth Argyle."
4th post down:

The Voyagers

Cheeky bar steward. Thinks he knows English football, Argyle would destroy their team even in our current situation.

But Mariner doesn't know English football either, that's a big part of our problems. Plenty of people seem to hold a big grudge for Stapleton bringing back a 'mate' but at least he was tried and trusted. Toddy though plucked his boyhood hero from a footballing backwater where he was so far from the pulse of English football it might just have been declared dead. He was unqualified, inexperienced, tactically vacant, a square peg in a round hole forced in with just hope for the best. It was a spectacular misjudgement to bring him here and it's been downhill ever since.
Nevermind drive him to the airport myself, i'll fekkin' row him across the atlantic and carry him to whatever club over there will have him.

Completely agree. His appointment at Argyle was a big surprise, he's never shown any real quality or leadership as a coach and he only fetched up again in Plymouth by a fluke. He was brought in to add weight ( as a known , but not famous ex-England international ) to the ridiculous World Cup Bid. The stupidity and naivety of his appointment at Argyle has always been beyond belief. He always comes across as a nice guy and I hope for his sake he gets the Toronto job.

Just to clarify, i wasn't talking about Mariner i was referring to the Toronto fan mouthing off about a club he knows nothing about

R

Rupert

Slightly off topic, but Toronto's youth-team coach looks a bit different these days...

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/10/bents-boys-bounced

As for the vacancy which Mariner has been linked with, Toronto have been without a head coach since mid-September, when Preki (ex-Everton midfielder) was fired at the same time as general manager Maurice Johnston (also ex-Everton). Nick Dasovic (who played for Luggy at St Johnstone) has been caretaker head coach since then. Jurgen Klinsmann has been hired as a consultant to find a new head coach. There's no rush, though. It's their off-season.

S

Sporting Lipson

Loved Mariner as a player and will always remember the genuine affection in the ground when he and Billy both came back to HP. Sadly I can't say the same about the management / coaching stint. IMO out of touch with the English game, lacks the ability to tactically change things and just doesn't appear to be in charge (yes I know Reid is the manager)
Won't be a loss in the present climate.

Bubba

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 26, 2006
Never watched Mariner play but as with Luggy coming back I thought at the time that it was only fire fighting and appointed more to appease fans rather than on ability.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Sporting Lipson":3s978243 said:
Loved Mariner as a player and will always remember the genuine affection in the ground when he and Billy both came back to HP. Sadly I can't say the same about the management / coaching stint. IMO out of touch with the English game, lacks the ability to tactically change things and just doesn't appear to be in charge (yes I know Reid is the manager)
Won't be a loss in the present climate.

Feel the same way. Still my all time Argyle legend but not in his most recent capacity.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
bubba":34mxdo0d said:
Never watched Mariner play but as with Luggy coming back I thought at the time that it was only fire fighting and appointed more to appease fans rather than on ability.

The appointment of Mariner was one from the heart only by the then Board.
He had no track record in UK soccer and certainly no record of results achieved in a 'backs to the wall' situation. The problem as presented in Sturrock's final weeks demanded a Mark 2 Tony Pulis. Unfortunately nobody was perceived to meet that bill. The rest is history. Some history!