Marmite Managers ! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Marmite Managers !

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
The worst tactician I've ever seen manage us, and I include Carl Fletcher in that. Looking at the jobs he's had since, sure he did ok at Newport, Fleetwood and Carlisle (firefighting roles - all that he's good at), but was horrendous at Notts County, Chesterfield, Wigan and (now) Swindon. His lack of tactical know-how and downright refusal to use any sort of analysis will mean that he'll continue to be nothing more than a firefighter. Or perhaps a chief scout, because (as others have said) he was capable of signing some bloody good players. And then making them underperform.

I couldn't care less what he was like in terms of "getting" the area, referring to us as Plymouth, whatever. Its not important. What is important is how he set us up tactically and motivationally - obviously we can only guess at the latter, but from what we could see on the pitch, tactically, we were appalling - bailed out by those players so often. We never ever looked like a team - only merely a talented group of individuals.

Did very well to keep us up in 2013 (not as well as Fletcher did the year before, but still, did well). Then spent 2 years assembling a bunch of bloody good players and underachieved with them.

Tin hat very much on, but if you'd given Carl Fletcher that squad of quality players (McCormick, Nelson, Hartley, McHugh, O'Connor, Bobby Reid, Reuben Reid) we would have finished higher than 7th. Obviously Fletcher's main problem that he signed players that were mostly absolute garbage. But tactically, he was better (less bad) than Sheridan.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I've got to be honest Dan, whilst I agree with you on much, I think that's quite harsh. He was far from fantastic, as his record since leaving has proven, and I'll agree that tactically there was plenty lacking, but those are more micro points and from a macro point of view, we saw year on year improvement, the time was certainly right to part ways but John Sheridan was a big part of the club climbing back onto two feet.

Feb 23, 2006
I never intended to have John Sheridan singled out for being who he is,Yet on replying posts those who praise him for his time here nearly always add the proviso that he could have had a better personal presence and of having a somewhat dour approach to being here and working here. I think he is certainly a Marmite Manager. Staying on the Argyle ex managers theme of being marmite men,certainly Ian Holloway and an unfortunate manager for Argyle, David Kemp who was a goal scoring hero here which he could not translate into management he was an assistant manager/coach for Tony Pulis at several clubs.
As for Sam Alladyce hes probably a footballing dinosaur tainted by the various allegations in his past,and somewhat over rated, any manager can play a 10 men defence !

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think perhaps in view of the very sad news over Christmas people should think about what they are saying.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
graygreen":2yaffuvu said:
I never intended to have John Sheridan singled out for being who he is,Yet on replying posts those who praise him for his time here nearly always add the proviso that he could have had a better personal presence and of having a somewhat dour approach to being here and working here. I think he is certainly a Marmite Manager. Staying on the Argyle ex managers theme of being marmite men,certainly Ian Holloway and an unfortunate manager for Argyle, David Kemp who was a goal scoring hero here which he could not translate into management he was an assistant manager/coach for Tony Pulis at several clubs.
As for Sam Alladyce hes probably a footballing dinosaur tainted by the various allegations in his past,and somewhat over rated, any manager can play a 10 men defence !

Oh?
:shocked:

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Dan Ellard":15y2wlwt said:
The worst tactician I've ever seen manage us, and I include Carl Fletcher in that. Looking at the jobs he's had since, sure he did ok at Newport, Fleetwood and Carlisle (firefighting roles - all that he's good at), but was horrendous at Notts County, Chesterfield, Wigan and (now) Swindon. His lack of tactical know-how and downright refusal to use any sort of analysis will mean that he'll continue to be nothing more than a firefighter. Or perhaps a chief scout, because (as others have said) he was capable of signing some bloody good players. And then making them underperform.

I couldn't care less what he was like in terms of "getting" the area, referring to us as Plymouth, whatever. Its not important. What is important is how he set us up tactically and motivationally - obviously we can only guess at the latter, but from what we could see on the pitch, tactically, we were appalling - bailed out by those players so often. We never ever looked like a team - only merely a talented group of individuals.

Did very well to keep us up in 2013 (not as well as Fletcher did the year before, but still, did well). Then spent 2 years assembling a bunch of bloody good players and underachieved with them.

Tin hat very much on, but if you'd given Carl Fletcher that squad of quality players (McCormick, Nelson, Hartley, McHugh, O'Connor, Bobby Reid, Reuben Reid) we would have finished higher than 7th. Obviously Fletcher's main problem that he signed players that were mostly absolute garbage. But tactically, he was better (less bad) than Sheridan.

I think that is harsh. There's only so much you can do without money, given the situation we were in.