Matt Kennedy (signs for St Johnstone) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Matt Kennedy (signs for St Johnstone)

Sep 25, 2010
I think, DA may have come to the limit of his Transfer budget, and is waiting for either Wylde or Ainsworth to move on, either transfer or loan, and then probably Kennedy will come in, this may happen around the Transfer deadline of early August.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
The Doctor":2tegqfv7 said:
gaspargomez":2tegqfv7 said:
Well I'm a big fan of this player- he wouldn't be a sub. IF Argyle can sign Kennedy then he would probably start the season as first choice ahead of Lamerias. I think the problem might be wages though... other clubs know he is a dangerous attacker when used properly.

I'm not sure how a player who had limited success for a short period in League 2 and was relatively disappointing in League 1 (Kennedy with Argyle and at Portsmouth respectively) ousts a player who was highly successful in League 1 for about half a season once he got into the team (Lameiras).

I'm not saying that Kennedy that can't be successful at League 1 and I would quite like us to sign him (to replace Wylde/Ainsworth) but I don't see any compelling evidence that he is immediately a better bet than Lameiras.
Totally agree.

It's a typical football fan thing to love players that are quicker / physically better and ignore how good they are technically.

Both players are young-ish and potential, but right now Lameiras has a lot more to his game than Kennedy.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Better back-up than Wylde but still hugely overrated by many.

No denying there's a player in there but he's a one trick pony, he got found out with us and presumably did again at Portsmouth. If he's cheap and willing to act as cover then sign him on. If he expects to start every game with us again I think he'll be hugely disappointed.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I don’t think we need him unless we change drastically from our 4-2-3-1 formation.

We’re still in for another midfielder, presumably a versatile wideman on loan so that should offer a better option than Kennedy

Mar 14, 2009
He was a “one trick pony”.

However, he wasn’t given the license to roam like Carey and a Lameiras had in last seasons formation.

Being stuck on the left, he might of felt restricted. Maybe given the chance to move more freely around we might get and see a different player.

I’m still meh about him though. He just didn’t show enough 1st time around to convince myself a permanent deal would be good for us, and him.

Oct 14, 2015
The Doctor":gye9ey0p said:
Piran-Pilgrim":gye9ey0p said:
Matt Kennedy just tweeted saying in France reading the book 'Once a pilgrim' either playing with us or will be playing FOR us.

Not quite... Matty Kennedy (the footballer) has retweeted a tweet that he was tagged into by a Matt Kennedy who just tweeted saying in France reading the book 'Once a pilgrim'.

Suggests to me he's not coming "once a Pilgrim"

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Whoever it may be, it will be a midfielder according to DA, who indicates there is one more signing to take place.
Personally, I would reklon that Kennedy is more a wing forward than an out and out midfielder. Time will tell. I just hope that none of the fine signatures to date incur pre-season injuries, as they look a strong collection.

Oct 14, 2015
Quintrell_Green":1xmjk48e said:
Whoever it may be, it will be a midfielder according to DA, who indicates there is one more signing to take place.
Personally, I would reklon that Kennedy is more a wing forward than an out and out midfielder. Time will tell. I just hope that none of the fine signatures to date incur pre-season injuries, as they look a strong collection.

That QG would be ideal but unfortunately highly unlikely. As long as there just minor injuries and don't turn into Karleigh Osborne ones...

Apr 1, 2009
Welwyn Pilgrim":18qwmpfn said:
Quintrell_Green":18qwmpfn said:

That QG would be ideal but unfortunately highly unlikely. As long as there just minor injuries and don't turn into Karleigh Osborne ones...

Injuries happen, and some of our new players will suffer them. All I ask is that the new recruits all passed strenuous medicals that proved they were fit when signing, which hasn't always happened. Osborne was a crock when we signed him, and has remained one. He has somehow got two further contracts since leaving us, but has hardly played for either of his subsequent clubs. I can't see him finding another employer. See also Simon Church and Daniel Nardiello.

Returning to topic, why are people still banging on about Kennedy? DA has clearly said that his final signing will be a loan, and since Kennedy is a free agent it won't be him.

Sep 25, 2010
xmastree":1jpn4yvu said:
Welwyn Pilgrim":1jpn4yvu said:
Quintrell_Green":1jpn4yvu said:

Injuries happen, and some of our new players will suffer them. All I ask is that the new recruits all passed strenuous medicals that proved they were fit when signing, which hasn't always happened. Osborne was a crock when we signed him, and has remained one. He has somehow got two further contracts since leaving us, but has hardly played for either of his subsequent clubs. I can't see him finding another employer. See also Simon Church and Daniel Nardiello.

Returning to topic, why are people still banging on about Kennedy? DA has clearly said that his final signing will be a loan, and since Kennedy is a free agent it won't be him.

People are banging on about Kennedy, is only to the point of, if Ainsworth or Wylde goes, then Kennedy may come in, irrespective of another midfield loan signing.

Jan 27, 2012
If neither Ainsworth or Wylde are likely to play next year then it's surely in the interests of both parties that they find a club where they can get into the first team- both are clearly good enough. This should happen even if Kennedy or a similar wide player does not replace them.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Whether or not Kennedy is coming, who knows - but I think it'd be foolish to suggest he doesn't know exactly what he's doing by posting a picture like that, especially after the one of him playing for Argyle so soon before.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Andy Holland":u8v5at1k said:
Whether or not Kennedy is coming, who knows - but I think it'd be foolish to suggest he doesn't know exactly what he's doing by posting a picture like that, especially after the one of him playing for Argyle so soon before.

Perhaps it has more to do with generating interest rather than hinting at current negotiations.

He's without a club and hasn't exactly set the world alight in L1 for Pompey. Chances are he'll have to drop from Cardiff wages to L2 however if he can put a little pressure on Adams by stoking up the fans of a former club perhaps he can wing himself a deal here or go to other L1 clubs and say "look what Argyle fans thought of me".

The transfer window is a cynical old business. I wouldn't be surprised if we hadn't so much as contacted this guy.