Mike Dean | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mike Dean

It’s interesting that VAR works so seamlessly in American football. Is it because the decision is generally quicker, I wonder, or is it because it’s a game of constant stops and starts, and one more after a sequence of play is neither here nor there?

Where VAR falls down in my opinion, is that it’s original intention was to aid the ref when he was in doubt. At the start I understood that the use of VAR would be his decision alone. However that’s gradually transferred to almost every goal and every potential red card decision, just in case the ref got it wrong, presumably with the VAR team messaging him to say ‘hang on you need to take a look at this’. It means fans can’t celebrate many goals, even when the ref has signalled OK by pointing to the centre spot, until VAR confirms it’s OK.

Your team scoring a goal is one of life’s great moments, and to have that moment written off because of a few centimetres of arm or elbow is just daft.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
Steve Wooldridge":14jh4dgc said:
Football will never be the same again now VAR as been introduced. Fans can't even celebrate a goal untill VAR deems it legal. Getting to the stage I don't enjoy watching matches now. Just have goal line technology, that's all we need.

Totally agree with this.

Sep 2, 2008
Lev Yashin":odexowet said:
Having played coached and refereed I feel that I have a reasonable handle on the game of Football.
From the very first day of the introduction of VAR I have the opinion that now we have 5 officials to make a decision instead of 1.
Then you get results like in the West Ham game ,total rubbish on a constant basis .
The powers that be are making millions from the sale,and implementation of this technology with very little thought given to the reality.
The games with VAR are now slowed down losing the excitement of the moment.
The offside rule is a shambles why have a linesman if he has to wait 15/25 seconds before putting the flag up and also not make the offside decision but wait for a line declaring that a toenail was .
The ideal solution is get rid of VAR and everyone believe that the referee will occasionally get it wrong just like in the lower divisions and live with it.

Not going to happen to much money changing hands behind the scenes :coat:
Just enjoy watching a real football game at Plymouth Argyle !

Agree with this. One of the reasons I don't watch the prem league stuff is because its become so sterile now. Much prefer the relative calamity and unknown that lower league football offers.

Mar 18, 2014
Chicago Green":108qxnwe said:
I have a lot of respect for refs, even though their decisions often infuriate me. Players and management of both teams acting aggressively towards the ref is just part of the game, and they do so well not to react to some of the abuse they get. Being able to hear the way that players and staff spoke to the referee at Pompey on Saturday makes you wonder why anyone would do it.

I doubt this will be found in the laws of the game.

it is another part of the gamesmanship and cheating that professional footballers are taught by the coaches and managers from a very young age.