Myth that lower prices raise attendances | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Myth that lower prices raise attendances

Oct 28, 2011
Nottingham
I know we're playing very well at the moment but I'd say that 10,500 for a League 2 game v Mansfield is pretty respectable. I suppose that it won't be until the end of the season before a case can be made as to the impact of pricing on attendances but it is great that more people should in theory now be able to attend.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
saxman":3f9f11l7 said:
Green_Flash":3f9f11l7 said:
Bradford don’t actually get 14000 attendances most of the time - season tickets are so cheap that most people who are vaguely interested buy one and then pick and choose their matches - they are however counted as present at every game - I doubt their actual attendances are much higher than ours

That's interesting, is that definitely true?

There was a debate on it a year ago, mostly following on from Arsenal's near sell-out capacity each game despite the ground being nowhere near full.

I'm not sure anyone has ever confirmed it as a fact but there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that it's the case.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Willis88":2kn1dttu said:
saxman":2kn1dttu said:
Green_Flash":2kn1dttu said:
Bradford don’t actually get 14000 attendances most of the time - season tickets are so cheap that most people who are vaguely interested buy one and then pick and choose their matches - they are however counted as present at every game - I doubt their actual attendances are much higher than ours

That's interesting, is that definitely true?

There was a debate on it a year ago, mostly following on from Arsenal's near sell-out capacity each game despite the ground being nowhere near full.

I'm not sure anyone has ever confirmed it as a fact but there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that it's the case.
I think the honourable member for Crystal Palace has in the past offered learned advice on this topic.

Jan 6, 2004
My point about the lower mayflower is that if there was pent up demand to see Argyle at a lower price one would expect it to be busier than it is - it shows that Argyle would get significantly bigger attendances even if it lowered prices by 30 odd per cent

May 7, 2019
Green since 89":2vuwkj0p said:
I know we're playing very well at the moment but I'd say that 10,500 for a League 2 game v Mansfield is pretty respectable. I suppose that it won't be until the end of the season before a case can be made as to the impact of pricing on attendances but it is great that more people should in theory now be able to attend.

It is very respectable. An interesting comparison however is to the Argyle vs Mansfield home game from the 01/02 season where Sturrock's Argyle team were running riot. Mansfield were one of our rivals back then and I still remember the game well - it was a tough old game. Attendance for that game was 14,716 in February (thank you GoS).

Was that the year/game the "new stadium" was opened with the three seated sides that we have now? Did that help to raise the attendance? I was not expecting 14k.

Bit off-topic, I remember going to an evening game on the day of 9/11 that season - vs Swansea I think - and the three sides of the stadium were completely demolished. It was a really eerie match as the noise just bled out into the night and the events of 9/11 were fresh in the mind.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
TheBoldman":nq3w6t35 said:
Green since 89":nq3w6t35 said:

It is very respectable. An interesting comparison however is to the Argyle vs Mansfield home game from the 01/02 season where Sturrock's Argyle team were running riot. Mansfield were one of our rivals back then and I still remember the game well - it was a tough old game. Attendance for that game was 14,716 in February (thank you GoS).

Was that the year/game the "new stadium" was opened with the three seated sides that we have now? Did that help to raise the attendance? I was not expecting 14k.

Bit off-topic, I remember going to an evening game on the day of 9/11 that season - vs Swansea I think - and the three sides of the stadium were completely demolished. It was a really eerie match as the noise just bled out into the night and the events of 9/11 were fresh in the mind.

Mansfield were vying for promotion that season, I remember it do well because I had a mate living in Nottingham who was a Stags fan.

As for other question, from memory all three sides were opened for the TUFC match on Boxing Day. We were 2-0 up but were pegged back to 2-2. I haven’t checked GoS for confirmation but I could be wrong.

Aug 4, 2011
tonycrowuk":ay7lsskc said:
Can anyone shed any light on the view from there looks pretty decent from the pictures and at £15

I was very impressed for £15 (well £17 on the day) plenty of leg room, good facilities in behind (burger / hotdog van, bar). They really should make this area un-allocated seating and POtG without the hassle of going to the ticket office first though

Aug 4, 2011
IJN":l788jbv1 said:
TheBoldman":l788jbv1 said:
Green since 89":l788jbv1 said:

As for other question, from memory all three sides were opened for the TUFC match on Boxing Day. We were 2-0 up but were pegged back to 2-2. I haven’t checked GoS for confirmation but I could be wrong.
Correct Ian, McGlinchey scored and OG. Plenty of Argyle in the away end as demand outstripped the supply. Not sure it was the game all 3 sides opened fully though?

May 7, 2019
football-bet-data":ribprarz said:
tonycrowuk":ribprarz said:
Can anyone shed any light on the view from there looks pretty decent from the pictures and at £15

I was very impressed for £15 (well £17 on the day) plenty of leg room, good facilities in behind (burger / hotdog van, bar). They really should make this area un-allocated seating and POtG without the hassle of going to the ticket office first though

I absolutely agree. Argyle should cater for those fans who want to watch a game on the spur of the moment, or potentially have family/work commitments where they don't know if they can attend until the last minute. There's nothing better than deciding to pop down to Argyle at the last minute and watching them win! Good choice made.

Argyle should be making it as easy as possible for fans to attend games, not asking fans to queue multiple times. I'm lucky as I live close to the ground but I feel for fans that live further away who might be put off from travelling down.

Jan 12, 2011
Exiled in Cornwall
football-bet-data":n3vux8s0 said:
tonycrowuk":n3vux8s0 said:

The Problem with making it un-allocated seating is that they can then only sell 80% (?) of the tickets for that area. This could then become a problem if later in the season with continuing improvement they sell out (except that 20%). You also have to control people trying to sit in the "posh" seats "oh but its un-allocated so I can sit where I want, grunt, grunt."

Jan 12, 2011
Exiled in Cornwall
football-bet-data":18ctsiji said:
IJN":18ctsiji said:
TheBoldman":18ctsiji said:
Green since 89":18ctsiji said:

Correct Ian, McGlinchey scored and OG. Plenty of Argyle in the away end as demand outstripped the supply. Not sure it was the game all 3 sides opened fully though?

It was only the two ends open for the Boxing Day game against Torquay