New Plymouth Airport? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New Plymouth Airport?

Apr 28, 2019
Richard Allan":3t9tw0bt said:
signalspast":3t9tw0bt said:
Whilst I would like to see an airport I do think that a heliport linking the city to airports would stand more of a chance of success. Say Bristol, Exeter, London airports and maybe a couple up North. If they also operate on a private hire scale as well the teams from up the line say liverpool area could be bought down by helicopter direct to the plymouth heliport

This is in the pipeline / as well as operating tourist flights around the waterfront

Any new transport link to Plymouth is a positive. The Sikorsky S-92 would be okay as a fixed wing alternative, with cruise speed 160 or so

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Plymouth airport operated successfully during the Brymon era - and Exeter and Newquay were there then.

Last I knew the Roborough airport had not been redeveloped as there was a council prohibition on doing so.

The way it was closed was quite a con job by Sutton Holdings, IMHO.

A seaplane alternative sound like a novelty feature to me, and helicopters would be expensive, but if either or both can be financially viable then please go for it.

Oct 28, 2011
Nottingham
Interesting idea but given how much has been invested in Exeter Airport I would favour improving the A38 and M5 to bring down the time it takes to get from Plymouth to Exeter airport.

Possibly a plan to upgrade the A38 to M status (like the A1(M)), in sections between Exeter and Plymouth might be the answer.

Bil

May 31, 2019
I'm sorry but I see no argument for a Plymouth airport. Exeter less than an hour away, Newquay more but not unreasonable. Who is going to pay to fly from Plymouth when the road and rail links are OK.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
No justification for a new airport with Exeter just up the road and emissions from air travel contributing to climate change. Air travel will inevitably become much more expensive in the medium/long term to cut down usage. Lastly of course as an investor you would have to make it pay. There may be a business case in existence but as they say on Dragons Den, "I won't be investing!"

Apr 28, 2019
A consensus seems to be that we do need an airport, but that Exeter is a viable alternative to developing one in Plymouth.

The argument is, this being the Argyle forum, that when we reach the Championship again, we will need an airport with international and UK connections.

We're bound to have 2 or 3 players who will need to return to their countries for international call ups, as was the case with Buszaky, Halmosi and Timar.

So, yes an alternative would be for Plymouth City Council to invest in Exeter airport, (and change its name to Devon Airport) alongside big improvements in the A38 to upgrade to A38(M)

Tony Pastyman

♣️ Senior Greens
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 1, 2008
Biggs":3gzp9eur said:
Yeah, I’d concentrate on two things.

1) invest heavily in Exeter airport to make it truly international (flights to America etc) and possibly rename it Devon Airport or Exeter Plymouth Airport.

2) invest in transport links from Plymouth city centre to Exeter airport, at the very least an hourly shuttle bus.

Seems more realistic to do that instead of building a whole new one in Plymouth.
Yes agree with above, the Plymouth Father's failed years ago in lack of vision and should have secured land east of the city on the A38 corridor near Ivybridge.

Aug 10, 2006
while I understand there are more people living up north there are 4 airports between Liverpool and Doncaster/Sheffield 138 miles from Plymouth to Exeter can take an hour the same to Newquay, it's a shame we don't have an airport but there has to be better road and rail links to Exeter and Newquay, some Argyle fans I know who went to Carlisle had to fly from Bristol to Newcastle what a joke.

EuroJim

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 26, 2017
Gent, Belgium
www.jimsfrenchflanders.com
Heliports, Boat Planes?? The only realistic long-term eco friendly solutions I see are:

Full electrification of the lines from London to the South West.

Build the missing link between Ivybridge and Newton Abbot.

Create a Station close to Exeter Airport with shuttle bus connection to Airport.

This is no more than anyone should expect for decent transport provision in the 21st century.

Jan 2, 2010
Dorset Pilgrim":2lcrmwyy said:
No justification for a new airport with Exeter just up the road and emissions from air travel contributing to climate change. Air travel will inevitably become much more expensive in the medium/long term to cut down usage. Lastly of course as an investor you would have to make it pay. There may be a business case in existence but as they say on Dragons Den, "I won't be investing!"
Am seeing a lot of comments suggesting that climate change would be a factor, but why?
Is a full plane from Plymouth any more a disaster to polar bears than me and a plane full of holidaymakers getting to London or Exeter and catching a plane there?
Given how much has been spent on HS2 then I am angry that our Mps cannot work together in making this city a better prospect for business and tourism.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
What is the current state of Plymouth Airport since it closed?
Is the runway still intact or has something been built on the land?

Jan 6, 2004
It’s 50 mins to Exeter airport - there are plenty of major cities that it takes that long to get to their airport - realistically we should be campaigning for an expansion of Exeter and better public transport links from there to Plymouth