Next surprise team in premiership? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Next surprise team in premiership?

May 21, 2010
taunton
Yes Bristol City do look like a premiership set up now. They have been in the top flight before, the old division one in the 70s I think. I've always thought Bristol Rovers and ourselves are very similar clubs, both fan bases near enough the same, and either team been in the premiership.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
pastiesforlife":9dt3o15f said:
According to Sky tonight, Bristol City are the biggest club in England not to have played in the top flight. Strange because I seem to recall them being in the top league. Maybe Sky not aware that football existed before them. We were also told, twice, that Joe Bryan had never played for any other football club.

In truth, City played really well tonight and Joe Bryan was absolutely fantastic. The stadium also looked superb with two giant tv screens (capacity just 26k though). City really looked like a prem club tonight and must have a decent chance of going up. Amazing what £50,000,000 pumped into a club can achieve.

Yes, Bristol Ciiy did make the top flight in the mid 70'S i seem to recall. They had players like Norman Hunter and Gow playing for them. I remember them coming down one evening to play Liskeard in a friendly at Lux Park. I think it was to inaugurate the new floodlight installation. Their stay in the top division did not last long.

Mar 8, 2016
Bristol city will go up this season, I hate seeing Burnley doing so well, since the relegation show down at turf moor on the last day of the season nearly 20 years ago now, they've gone one way and we've gone the other. depressing!!

E

Electronic

pastiesforlife":qxgv7phl said:
According to Sky tonight, Bristol City are the biggest club in England not to have played in the top flight. Strange because I seem to recall them being in the top league. Maybe Sky not aware that football existed before them. We were also told, twice, that Joe Bryan had never played for any other football club.

In truth, City played really well tonight and Joe Bryan was absolutely fantastic. The stadium also looked superb with two giant tv screens (capacity just 26k though). City really looked like a prem club tonight and must have a decent chance of going up. Amazing what £50,000,000 pumped into a club can achieve.

The arrogance of the TV companies. City played in the top flight in my lifetime and I'm not that old yet. It wasn't their first time up there either - the 60's and pre-war(s) too.

Although not south-west, I think it would be good to have a western club up there.

Disagree they necessarily look a Premiership club though, merely what is required to be a thriving Championship club these days. It shows how far off we are in infrastructure, if not support. There is no reason why Argyle couldn't emulate what they are doing or have, given the requisite investment. One can only dream...

Really rated Bryan when I saw him play for us. Seemed like a nice kid too. Hope he goes all the way with his hometown club. Would be a good story.

Apr 9, 2009
Mutley
Biggs":2ro5rxtt said:
GM Vauxhall":2ro5rxtt said:
You need investment to get there and this clown's not doing that in a hurry.

Speaking of clowns...

God the wit just keeps on flowing...

Also interesting that this has been moved to one of the "keep anything not toeing the everything's rosy party line away from the main board" places.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
GM Vauxhall":30f2w81o said:
Also interesting that this has been moved to one of the "keep anything not toeing the everything's rosy party line away from the main board" places.
It's about other teams, not Argyle. Why should it be on "Argyle Discussion"?

It shouldn't.

Pootle's Pom Pom

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Mar 13, 2009
Trowbridge or Bristol
GM Vauxhall":b845vreb said:
Biggs":b845vreb said:
GM Vauxhall":b845vreb said:

Speaking of clowns...

Also interesting how you once again tried to hijack a thread not even about Argyle with your tired anti-Brent rhetoric.

Apr 9, 2009
Mutley
Pootle's Pom Pom":2u55gou3 said:
GM Vauxhall":2u55gou3 said:
Biggs":2u55gou3 said:
GM Vauxhall":2u55gou3 said:

Speaking of clowns...

Also interesting how you once again tried to hijack a thread not even about Argyle with your tired anti-Brent rhetoric.

There were suggestions on the thread that it could be Argyle. So completely valid to comment on this. Also valid to compare our current plight with that of Bristol City, who until 5-10 years ago were largely on a par with us.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
GM, do you think James Brent is a fraction as wealthy as Steve Lansdowne? If not, then what’s your point?

And even if you do, Lansdowne’s starting point was a good, solid League One (?) club with a decent stadium.

JB’s starting point was a club adrift at the bottom of League 2, heavily indebted, playing kids with a decrepit grandstand.

One more comparison for you... Lansdown avoids tax in Guernsey, while JB’s day job is chair of the Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Trust.