Niall Canavan signs new contract (merged) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Niall Canavan signs new contract (merged)

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
edengreen":66q3967t said:
Personally think Canavan is a better player than Ryan Edward's for us and is the best since Bradley imho but he will struggle with pace and needs some one quicker alongside

Ryan Edwards was diabolical. Had a handful of good performances and was the mainstay of our awful defence over two seasons. Canavan is way clear of him.

Oct 31, 2015
Good news.

Probably our best CB since Nelson and then Bradley who are both head and shoulders above big Niall. But you can't fault him his lack of pace has been covered in a 3. Aimson back and then a left CB of the 3 should be better for league 1 compared to our last atrocious unit in this league. :scarf:

Jan 21, 2007
Nothing personal, but I really hoped this was one of the positions that RL was going to strengthen this summer. He’s better than Wootton, but as the central man of a back three, has to be more dominant and imposing than he is.

Along with Sawyer and Wootton, he was really found out in League 1, two seasons ago, and I’m still really hoping that we sign two more CB’s who can take us up a gear.

Aug 5, 2016
Hargyle":1oygzy6w said:
Nothing personal, but I really hoped this was one of the positions that RL was going to strengthen this summer. He’s better than Wootton, but as the central man of a back three, has to be more dominant and imposing than he is.

Along with Sawyer and Wootton, he was really found out in League 1, two seasons ago, and I’m still really hoping that we sign two more CB’s who can take us up a gear.

What you can't take away from Canavan, Wootton and Sawyer is they are a promotion winning backline.

Of those three, before last season the one I had doubts about was Sawyer. Away at Charlton last season he was dreadful and in my opinion, no CB. Too slow and too aerially hesistant.

But last season he adapted well. At the age of 35 he has won a new contract. No mean feat for a career LB playing out of position in Ryan Lowe's new system.

At the end of the day, the top 3 teams in the league below deserve the right to play the teams in the division above. And Gaz, Wootton and Canavan were the defence that got us to League One.

No point slating them now 3 Derek Adams defenders stuck around after the turmoil and won promotion for Lowe. Hats off to them all. They deserve the chance to play together in League One.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Canavan and Wootton struggled in a back two pairing under Derek Adams but in a back three system under Lowe they, and Sawyer, have found a new lease of life.
I also wouldn't worry about the lack of pace because a back three covers each other.
Canavan is one of the best passers in the team and a feature of Lowe's system is Canavan pinging the ball out to the advanced wing-backs, another feature is Canavan stepping out of defence with the ball and setting up an attack.

Let's not forget only Cheltenham conceded less goals than Argyle in League Two last season so Canavan, Wootton and Sawyer were a good unit.

Canavan just needs to add more goals to his game.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Good News.

In an ideal world a new signing or two would mean more competition for the defence guernseys (in fact ALL positions) but given the circumstances we need as many to re-sign as possible now, and plan to add "as and when".

COYG :scarf:

May 8, 2011
It must be a worrying time for Niall because as a sufferer of diabetes type 1, Niall is in relation to Covid-19 in the clinically vulnerable group so will have been advised to be taking additional measures to stay safe.

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
Knibbsworth":ovoh30in said:
Hargyle":ovoh30in said:
No point slating them now 3 Derek Adams defenders stuck around after the turmoil and won promotion for Lowe. Hats off to them all. They deserve the chance to play together in League One.

This for me.

I think Plymouth Argyle were terrible in 18-19, more than any particular player. I watched most games that season and I don't recall Niall being especially culpable. I'm pleased he's signed on after a good season. His passing definitely fits into Lowe's system.

As someone else has mentioned, I think he has more goals in him as much as anything else.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
I'm pleased with this. I have been very impressed with Niall when I have seen him, very cool at the back and sets up attacks with those, usually accurate, long balls out to the flanks.

AdelaideGreen":3rsfbu4q said:
In an ideal world a new signing or two would mean more competition for the defence guernseys

What age is he? I hope his Alderneys hold out! Sorry about the Sarkasm Adelaide

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Sorry for repeating this point from another thread, but I really don't think we need to hastily change our back 3, given what an incredible record they had when they played together this season.

Hopefully, with a keeper better than Macey at command of area, and a system with a proper defensive midfielder who protects the defense (both of which we did have this season but didn't have last season), Wootton Canavan and Sawyer will all perform better at League 1 level than they did last time.

Oct 31, 2015
Dan has a fair point.

We had Grant in front of them last season and Palmer behind. Suspecting Cooper will get his chance the Defensive midfield role would be key to supporting the three.